Anyone remember that war we had?

flownosaj

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or does it seem that most of the United States forgets what Memorial day is all about? There are cemetaries filled with those that fought and died for our freedom, and few seem to remember. It seems like everybody I talk to the past few days forgets that we still have troops overseas in a combat stance right now. Seems like eveybody is more concerned about beating the traffic to the lake...

I'm watching the news tonight and all the reporters are talking about all the fun people are having over Memorial day weekend. Just every now and then a blurb is mentioned about the ride to the Wall in D.C.

Kinda makes me sad and mad all at the same time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Jason

D

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
flownosaj, Isn't that the truth.

In Pensacola this is the weekend all the homosexuals come to the beach. They come from all over the country and have been doing it for years. The good news is attendance was way down this year. Some hotels didn't even fill up and they are always full in the summer. All the locals know to stay away and I am guessing the word has spread far enough that tourist avoid the area this weekend. Or maybe a lot of them decided to stay home this year and honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice. I choose the last reason because it would make me proud.

T

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on walking some flowers over to a site about four blocks from my house here in Brooklyn where on August 27th 1776, a militia of 400 known to history as the Maryland Regiment, my statesmen, under the command of Major Mordecai Gist Protecting the Retreating and newly formed Continental Army as they fumbled and swam through the Gowanus swamp to the safety of the American lines on what is now Brooklyn Heights, Charged a British and Hessian held position of over 2000 men, fortified with artillery, in a nearby stone house (two blocks from where I live) A total of six times, falling, rallying and falling and actually driving the enemy to abandon and retake the position twice. 256 of them fell and are buried on the spot where there is now an Oil Company. The only monument near the site is 9"X 11" plaque on the face of the VFW hall a block away and an overgrown and decaying marble obelisk in an obscure section of Prospect Park that I found purely by accident one day.

The battle was the first time the Americans faced the British as an official Continental Army and we were outnumbered and ill prepared but the action that took place near my home was the most valiant of the day and saved a great many lives so the Army could fight again. General George Washington who watched the action from an earth and wooden rampart up on the heights was moved to tears and gasped in anguish as he watched the Marylanders fall "Good God, what brave fellows I must this day lose!" Other Americans cut off from retreat were hunted, through the woods of what is now my neighborhood and Prospect Park, by the Hessian Jaegers who under the British officers had been told the Americans had become savages and to give no quarter, large groups of Americans, surrounded, who had dropped their weapons and attempted to surrender were bayoneted to death by the frightened Hessians. Others were captured by the British and sent to die aboard prison hulks (demasted and rotting ships) that were anchored out near Rikers Island in the East River.

Many of my now fellow New Yorkers don't even realize the first Battle of the Continental Army took place in this very neighborhood and are amazed at the tale. I can never forget it, and somehow everyday it creeps into my mind and inspires me to always do right by their sacrifice and preserve what they and many other Brave Americans died for. They were all volunteers who left their homes and families and Marched from southern Maryland with the weapons and uniforms (they were the best trained and uniformed standing militia there for the battle) they and their community raised the money for and I am proud to have been born and raised a Marylander and American. They did right by us for what was then a mere ideal. They deserve our best efforts to hang on to it!

I thank and honor them and all our veterans, today.( and everyday for the rest of my life).

Thank you!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
TSG

flownosaj

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
256 of them fell and are buried on the spot where there is now an Oil Company. The only monument near the site is 9"X 11" plaque on the face of the VFW hall a block away and an overgrown and decaying marble obelisk in an obscure section of Prospect Park that I found purely by accident one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm talking about. Only a forgotten plaque and a hidden obelisk to remember them by.

I wonder if local history teachers know about the local area. It might be a good thing to teach the kids a little history of the town in addition to the standard history classes we all know.

I know there was a lot of local history that I didn't find out about untill taking a college history class specifically devoted to PA.

-Jason

Greta

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
I drove all the way from Arizona to New York so that we can give my grandfather a military burial today. He died back in February. Yes, I know what today is all about.

KC2IXE

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Having grown up in NYC, I will tell you that NONE of my teachers taught about the Battle of Brooklyn Heights

I _KNEW_, but history has always interested me - BTW I can still recite "Flanders Fields" by heart, and tell the story behind it. I really had to go out of my way to find a poppy to buy this year. Handed the vet a $10, took 1, and didn't eat lunch that day - It was worth it

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
flownosaj, Isn't that the truth.

In Pensacola this is the weekend all the homosexuals come to the beach. They come from all over the country and have been doing it for years. The good news is attendance was way down this year. Some hotels didn't even fill up and they are always full in the summer. All the locals know to stay away and I am guessing the word has spread far enough that tourist avoid the area this weekend. Or maybe a lot of them decided to stay home this year and honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice. I choose the last reason because it would make me proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again I am amazed that this hateful, bigotted, unAmerican drivel is allowed to stand here at CPF (where some of our finest most respected contributors are gay..)
Homosexuals are allowed to fight and die in American wars, I think they have the right to congregate on it's beaches as well..

D

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Ted wake up, I am not bashing gays simple by talking about their event. I have no problem with the gays being at the beach nor did I imply I did. Hopefully you can understand why parents don't want their kids to see two men, two woman or a woman and a man making out or worse. Does that mean they or I am gay bashing because they stay away? The public display of affection by homosexuals FAR outpaces anything done by the heterosexual population (at least here in Pensacola) and the fact most people don't want to see it somehow makes it wrong to you?

Let me really spell it out and sorry this hurts your feelings. Many of these gay people are routinely seen having sex on the beach during this weekend. Many paw all over each other everywhere they go and they don't care who can see including children. These things are a rare occurrence on our beaches except for this weekend. Me thinking it's good that non-gays stay away is not bashing, it's good for our children. Is it your position that children should be encouraged to watch this behavior?

The guy in the office next to me is gay and he is my friend. He is out there on the beach this weekend and I hope he has fun. He doesn't wear his homosexuality on his sleeve and I admire him for that. I don't care who is gay here at CPF or in public it's irrelevant to me but apparently not you.

If this were the heterosexual singles weekend on the beach I would feel the same way if they were engaging in the same activities. Get off your high horse. I don't consider you any less of a person or citizen if you’re gay and I really don't care or want to know about your sexual preferences. I am not bashing gays but I might accuse you of bashing heterosexuals because of your words.

Try reading the last two sentence of my post again. This time read it for what it says and not from a perspective of someone that feels like they are being picked on which is all to common.

"Or maybe a lot of them decided to stay home this year and honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice. I choose the last reason because it would make me proud."

Ted, I was talking about the gays and how them honoring the men and woman would make me proud.

Let's get back to the topic now. Honoring or not honoring the men and woman that made the ultimate sacrifice is the subject of this thread and I noticed you didn't even reference it in your attack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
gibber. your post clearly expressed in the first sentence that you didn't want the crowd there for only one reason; because they were homosexual.

as for the public behavior you described in the 2nd post; then call the cops.

D

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
gibber. your post clearly expressed in the first sentence that you didn't want the crowd there for only one reason; because they were homosexual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Help me out here all knowing one, how do you come to that conclusion with my sentence, "In Pensacola this is the weekend all the homosexuals come to the beach."

[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
as for the public behavior you described in the 2nd post; then call the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I admire your ability to ignore the substance of my post.

Ted, if you have an argument to make then make it, don't just make hateful, undefendable statements.

FYI, Do a google search of "gay memorial weekend" and you will see this is a huge event for the homosexual community. Estimates are in the neighborhood of 60,000 people. This is not an event or term I made up this is a big get together. This is the antithesis of holding a huge Southern Baptist convention in downtown San Francisco. Pensacola is a very conservative town.

Have a nice day.

flownosaj

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soldiers died defending ALL of our rights--for people straight, gay or asexual. I'm not taking sides on the "big picture," but I will say this:

If homosexuals want to go to the beach, let them. It's their right. Dave was only saying that it would make him feel better if they would remember what this holiday commemorates and what sacrifices were made by others so they could go to the beach.

Same would go for if he was talking about thousands of screaming college students decending on the beaches on Memorial day. I don't dislike kids, but I'd be mad about what they choose to do with their day off on one of the very few days of the year we ask them to honor the memories of those that went before us.

-Jason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

T

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there is some good news, my pilgrimage to the Maryland Regiment burial site revealed some progress in the memorial department. The VFW post on the adjacent block purchased the building behind them and tore down the building and put in a nice paved parking lot with a memorial mural on the next door wall and a large flagpost flying the Stars and Stripes and the Maryland State flag in honor of the Regiment. At the Base of the flagpole they remounted the plaque honoring the men (there is also a placard on the front of the post stating the historic aspects).

The memorial is now closer to the area where the mass grave is supposed to be located (historians are not really sure exactly where in the block it is, but speculate it is under the Heating Oil Company a few doors down). Just proves to me that the veterans never forget their brothers, I wish everyone were the same. I think I've decided to start a lobby to restore and rededicate the monument in the Park, It was donated by the State of Maryland and I'm sure they would like to see their gift well taken care of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flownosaj

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
I think I've decided to start a lobby to restore and rededicate the monument in the Park, It was donated by the State of Maryland and I'm sure they would like to see their gift well taken care of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start the roll-call at the VFW. Based on what you said about them, I'm sure they'd be glad to help in any way possible.

-Jason

Greta

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
We had a very nice service for my Grampa today. The VFW presented the flag to my mother. There was a gun salute and taps. And the whole family with the exception of only one of my brothers was present.

gf1.jpg

B

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember it well,
I was in Irbil, Iraq until I came back last week. As a medic (I maintain the medical equipment) I saw in person what happens when you get hit by bullets, not pretty. It will always be a fond memory walking into the surgical ward and seeing a young Kurdish girl being tended by her farther as she was prepped to be flown out. He had tears in his eyes and expression on his face in beamed appreciation his daughter was alive.
On the way out, I stopped by Kirkuk and saw the aftermath of a fire fight in the hospital located there. The wards were jammed with Iraqis and Americans and there stood the lone body bag. Iraqi POWs get medical care as well as Americans, it just seems alien that these casualties were fighting each other and now are in the same complex. Such is the insanity of being neutral.
To the family of the soldier that did not make it in Kirkuk, thank you for the ultimate sacrifice of your son. I can't say in words what I felt when I saw him, all I can say is the horror is over for him. May this Memorial Day bring comfort to you and yours and his spirit will live forever.

flownosaj

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha,

When you're saying your prayers tonight, pass a message on to your Grandpa for us--tell him we said thank you.

BentHeadTX,
Almost anyone can pick up a weapon and fight, but it takes a special kind of person to put it down and take care of others. Such is the role of the medics and medical personel. Lets hope we always have those brave young men and women to help.

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight. He said that for him this war is over and he considers himself lucky--not one person lost from his company. The batallion wasn't so lucky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lets hope everyone can consider themselves lucky. Here's to bringing everyone back safe.
For those no longer among us, sleep well.

-Jason

ikendu

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a shame that it seems to be human nature for people to make war on each other and try to enslave each other. But...since it does seem to be that way, the people who have been willing to sacrifice their lives for freedom deserve our respect every day and at least the holiday serves as SOME kind of reminder once a year to draw the attention of our people to respect and honor our veterans.

If I look back to the original post, I agree that our news media could serve us better by focusing more on why we have Memorial Day to help get that word out.

W

Willmore

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'd assume it's because so many of them are still on active duty.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Help me out here all knowing one, how do you come to that conclusion with my sentence, "In Pensacola this is the weekend all the homosexuals come to the beach."

[/ QUOTE ]
..because you identify the crowd that comes to the beach (incorrectly) exclusively by their sexual orientation only; "all the homosexuals." Then you go on to express your animosity towards this type of crowd, in the third sentence by saying " The good news is attendance was way down this year."
You change the reason for your objection to their presence in your second post, in which you base your dislike for the crowd on (alleged) individual acts of public lewdness...that's how.

D

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Why do you feel if I don’t embrace homosexuality it makes me a gay basher?

I identify the crowd as "gay" because 60,000 of any type of group gathering together is readily identifiable. It is like 60,000 bikers at bike week, 60,000 Baptist at a convention, 60,000 Republicans at a convention. It is an advertised public gathering of the group and I am not scared to say the word homosexual, sorry. I doubt any of the other groups would find it so offensive that I called them by the term they call themselves for the gathering. Being 2,000 miles away in CA. you probably have a much better idea what goes on here than I do 5 miles away from the beach. What you call "alleged" is what I and friends of mine have seen with our own eyes.

I never changed the reason I was glad attendance was down. I thought it in my first post and spelled it out more clearly in my second post, the many, many, many individual acts of public lewdness by this or any group is wrong for Pensacola, families and especially children.

If 60,000 of anything came here every year on a weekend I would be pleased if their numbers were down. This is even truer when those that come go against the values of 99% of our population. I believe anyone including gays have every right to come here and I would never argue otherwise but I don't have to be happy they are here unless you can explain some rule requiring everyone to embrace things they don't agree with. I practice tolerance and to reiterate and put it on the record, you are correct in stating I am glad their numbers were down. I don't care for the homosexual lifestyle, I find it at the very least disgusting however, I defend their right to do and practice whatever they choose as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of myself and everyone else. Conversely, I would hope you would defend my right to not embrace this behavior. If I came to your house you could probably tolerate me but that doesn’t mean you would like me or want me there, same thing.

Afterthought: I think I would rather have 60,000 homosexuals here on the beach than 60,000 tree huggers, 60,000 gun control folks or 60,000 Frenchman. (Did I miss offending anyone?)

I would be happy to continue this subject via e-mail or PM but we have hi-jacked this thread long enough.