Anyone see this light on Kickstarter called DARKFADE

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to give one a try, hoping it can replace my headlamps as I hate the sweatyness and bed hair for work (more corporate wear)
Replaceable 18650.
Adjustable sliding clip for deep or shallow carry, head up or down ( Alu one costs more)
Head looks easy to get into.
USB-C programable.
Output and Accelerometer (programable)
I like that you can pre-empt output before you turn on. Which I always get wrong on ramping lights, press on, ramp wrong way, stop press again to ramp the other way then forget what I left it on for next time. Same with step UI.
Magnetic necklace to attach to your front.
Let me know your thoughts DARKFADE

Last edited:

Mandrake50

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to drop in and see what folks here have to say about this fairly expensive plastic light. It didn't go over well on BLF. And you seemed to be miffed about that.
I have to ask, are you involved financially with these folks. It seems that you have some motivation for promoting this light (??)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretentious whispering in your ad is an automatic no buy from me.

"Why did it take us so long?" Good question seeing as all of those "breakthrough" features have been implemented in lights long before this light.

Could be wrong, but this definitely reeks of shilling.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Kickstarter
That's gonna be a hard no from me. Way too much ego-stroking, incompetent "inventors", outright hucksterism, and shady attempts to avoid post-purchase support on that platform.

Mandrake50

Newly Enlightened
Yup! Some interesting features... but way over priced. I have been burned severely by this kind of crowd funding slick marketing... never delivered type of thing. Not going to do it again. This whole thing about "patent pending" thing makes me scratch my head.
I am not sure how much motivation there would be to copy this light. I wonder if Mag ever patented their version of the accelerometer controlled level changes. If it is as bad as my phone, it would be more of a liability than a feature...
Still wondering if @Glenn7 has a financial interest in this campaign....

LRJ88

Enlightened
Seems a bit gimmicky to me, 45° angle head is nifty, but all the rest comes across as trying attempting to add padding to an otherwise mediocre product. What with the whole warning that the final product could be different it all seems a wee bit sketchy all over.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup! Some interesting features... but way over priced. I have been burned severely by this kind of crowd funding slick marketing... never delivered type of thing. Not going to do it again. This whole thing about "patent pending" thing makes me scratch my head.
I am not sure how much motivation there would be to copy this light. I wonder if Mag ever patented their version of the accelerometer controlled level changes. If it is as bad as my phone, it would be more of a liability than a feature...
Still wondering if @Glenn7 has a financial interest in this campaign....
No affiliation, I just liked it and though others might. Troll away....

Mandrake50

Newly Enlightened
Trolling...hmmm.
This is your post from BLF after getting purely negative reactions to that point:
"Ah I get it now! I should have posted this on CPF I think they will get it. Will do now."
In addition to arguing at some length with people that saw no value in the light.
Seems like a lot of work for purely altruistic motivation.
Or is it the purest definition of trolling? People can make up their own minds I guess.
In any case, it seems most here are not real impressed either.

As mentioned, I see some value in some of the features. The turn offs for me is the fact that it is a Kickstarter campaign (something that has burned many, including myself). The over the top marketing. Highlighting "patent pending" (which is meaningless) and zero tolerance... But the biggest thing is the pricing for a product that doesn't even have a finalized design, let alone any valid independent reviews, testing, or beam shots.
If they ever actually finalize the design, and produce the thing (both questionable at this point), there are reviews from trusted sources, and the price drops by 50% to 70%... well, I might even be interested in trying one.

fred_bloggs

Newly Enlightened
I'd rather have a LedLenser with its magnetic charging and (at least for me) legendary reliability, and I like the company ethos.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still trolling I see. Good one. You took my post personally just because I posted after you did, it was a general post because most were just trashing it, so I thought CPF might get/understand it. As people were just picking one feature and saying some other light has this so it's already been done and cheaper.
Yes you are entitled to you opinion but can't you leave it? And no it's not made of plastic as you say.
I don't think it's stupidly expensive as most were knocking it for, compared to Oveready, Lux-rc, Elzetta, Malkoff etc, they are some of the cheaper customs out there. it's a custom light, not all but most copy each other's ideas/deigns. And yes the advertising is cheesy - they seem to make other products on Kickstarter that people like.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for bringing this potential flashlight to our attention. Clearly there are features Glenn7 admires, and would like to talk about and perhaps gain insight from members on CPF. Interesting to read Mandrake50's observations (totally believe the negative comments from that other flashlight forum) but hoping we will avoid any more jabs. After a quick look at a small number of Glenn7's almost 1600 posts here on CPF gives no indication a shill maneuver is afoot. He might be interested in reviewing the DarkFade, but there's no rule that says a person can't work in that direction by bringing a product up here for us to see/assess. Of the 4 total posts, Mandrake has only one other post regarding possible coronal mass ejectulations other than the 3 on this thread; an individual of few words, with a membership of ~4.5 years! Glenn has been here 16 years.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your kind words, much appreciated. I did mention to the Kickstarter dude that I have collected lights for 25+ years and would like to review one - with that, I assumed the one I backed and payed for, it was just an offer.
I haven't done many reviews, and the one I did for some LEP lights I just did, the place that I bought it off gave me a $100 discount on the most expensive one :rolleyes: that's all, and had to send the others back.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One reason I stopped at CPF a few years back was all of the know how. Yeah I stopped in at a few other forums too. But I stayed at CPF for lack of drama here.

With that said, I looked at the light that is subject in this thread and aside from the angled (read more comfy to hold) saw little to be excited about. That's not to say it's a bad or boring product. Here in 2022 it's kinda hard to re-invent the wheel for the 362nd time, so yeah not everything is novel or new. Yet some of the good ideas from other lights are employed.

Seems to be meant for close up work not search and rescue or military use. Looks like a light you'd see on the desk of your IT guy at work for when lights go out at the office.

Thanks for pointing out this product Glenn.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Now hold on a minute, the kickstarter page says "We have chosen the best LED we could put our hands on (from SAMSUNG) but we didn't stop there." which is all well and good, but in the video that's released today he says that the kickstarter page only lists the LED they think they're going to use before saying there's "i don't know five different leds that are like the top ones" in a light of that size and such and it'll be chosen based on what the supporters prefer, maybe there'll even be two options. What with the lens being the way it is etc. it feels rather weird to not have considered this beforehand and having picked out more potential options or just not having mentioned a specific brand on the kickstarter page, especially not saying they've gotten their hands on it already.

turbodog

Flashaholic
... I wonder if Mag ever patented their version of the accelerometer ...

FWIW the mag was not electronic. If was a physical switch. You could hear it move as you rotated it. I'd bet, given mag's optimizations and cost savings, that it was a steel ball and several contact points.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I EDC my Zebralight headlamps, so I appreciate the angled head for both walking around and using as a work-light. The ZL and its interface provide me with similar utility to this light, albeit not as fancy (but a lot cheaper).

Glad to see the innovation, which may trickle into other designs, but for now I'll stick with my H52Fw and H53Fc.