Anyone smoke cigars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drizzle

Enlightened
I hate to be a wet blanket but isn't this thread going a bit out of bounds? I'm not sure we should be discussing how to import anything from Cuba.

Maycooper: I had just the opposite experience. When I quit smoking I rewarded myself by allowing myself 2 cigars per year, on my birthday and at Christmas. That was quite a few years ago and I've gotten out of the habit of having my bi-annual cigars. For a few years though I *really* enjoyed them. It wasn't too hard to keep my cravings under control since I didn't inhale and it was just the one on each occasion.

bigcozy

bigcozy

Enlightened
After 20 something years, I recently quit too. I smoked up the last ones six months ago. Now I have some travel humidors and a bunch of cigar cutters laying around.

I was a casual smoker for 15+ years, and suddenly I couldn't control it.
Always partial to Partagas, Cohiba, and Fuente. I good buy, when you can get them, are the Belinda Blacks. The maduros are pretty stout.

K

kaseri

Enlightened
Ashton VSG is a nice cigar however my favorite is still the Opus X. I have a humidor full of them! About 100 of them to be exact. It pays to have a friend in the cigar business :)

dca2

dca2

Enlightened
One of the great aspects of enjoying cigars is they are out of my price range for an everyday habbit. I keep a humidor and smoke on average 1 per month.

cbxer55

cbxer55

Enlightened
I smoke , say 2 per week on average. Favorites will always be Arturo Fuente of any kind. But also smoke Partagas, Helix, Punch, Onyx, etc. I have a humidor beside the bed that holds 40 bundles or 20 boxes. It is about half full of various brands for variety. Usually buy them from Thompsons, but here in Oklahoma City there are a couple of shops that sell them at comparable prices, so I just buy them there for the present.

Last edited:
F

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Once in a great while these days, I'll have a really cheap cigar. When I am feeling nostalgic though, I think about searching all cigar shops in driving distance for a Henry Clay.

PipesterLite

PipesterLite

Newly Enlightened
Cigars are my choice for cutting the grass. A big un can help me get the whole yard done. Normally I smoke a pipe. Collect them also. Have even written some short stories that you can read here: http://mysite.verizon.net/seilerjp

I remember when a 3 package of Cuesta Rey #95 were a dollar and a 3 pack of the 1884s were $2.00. Boy have times changed!

woodrow

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any of you smoke cigars?

I know smoking is bad (loved the Thank You for Smoking movie though) But, do any of you take the time once or twice a week... month, to enjoy a good cigar?

Its one of my favorite things...makes me just sit there and contemplate, enjoy the stars and often my best prayer time comes out of it. Plus, if you are like me and smoke the things right down to the point they are burning your fingers, you get a pretty decent buzz with no hangover.

My favorite cigars are Ashton virgin sun grown's, Fuente Maximus, Diamond Crown's, Coniac dipped Gurka's, Cuban and Dominican Cohiba's and a number of other robust cigars.

Do any of you share in the joy of smoking? If you do, what do you drink while smoking? Scotch, Port, wine beer? I like to mix half and half Crown Royal and Disserano Ammereto on the rocks....Very good!

LuxLuthor

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: Do any of you smoke cigars?

Yeah, I treasure this hobby...also outside...sometimes in the back yard with some fine vintage port.

Pokerstud

Pokerstud

Enlightened

Absolutely. I smoke La Gloria Cubana Series R #6 maduro and #7. My dad and brother also smoke cigars. They are enjoyed with several different adult beverages such as Makers Mark Bourbon, a good vino, or an ice cold Smythwicks.

FILIPPO

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast

NO! omg...I'm too young!:sick2:

RA40

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

Used to...the desire went away after viewing pics of oral cancer at my dentist's office. This was in a book in the waiting room. :( It's been well over 4 years since lighting one up and I puffed maybe twice a month at best.

Before then:

HdM Selection Royale figurado's
La Gloria Cubana figurado's and robusto's
AF Opus X you name it
St. Luis Rey
Licenciados wavell's

Still have a bunch that are just sitting and many range in age with the oldest at about 15 years. Still humidified since it's a lot of $$ there.

G

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love A. Fuente Short story.

darkninja67

darkninja67

Newly Enlightened

I have been smoking cigars since 1996 or so. I used to have 3 humidors full of around 300 sticks. I would usually smoke 2 cigars before going to work.

Now I may have one or two a month. I still like to smoke but I just do not do it as much.
I smoke for the reason of relaxation and contemplation.

My favorite size tends to be the corona gordo or toro (6x50) but I have been liking the heavier gauges in recent years.

I like the La Gloria Serie R, as well as Fuentes, Avos, La Flor Dominicanas, Excalibur 1066 Series, Patels, Griffins, CAOs and other brands.

I may have a coffee once in awhile but usually do not drink anything. Hard alchohol is bad for me so I tend to drink a good beer if anything.

FurrBear

FurrBear

Newly Enlightened

Casa Blanca Magnum in Maduro is my "usual" cigar; Casa Blanca Jereboams (10" x 66RG) for special occasions. I also like a number of other cigars - Hoyo de Monterrey, etc. - all in maduro.

As for beverage - Jack Daniel's straight up, or Coca-Cola if Adult Beverages are not appropriate.

G

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL, you can tell I'm not a cigar connoisseur but many years ago when I used to go fishing with my good buddy, we'd bring Swisher Sweets with us. I don't think either one of us actually ever inhaled but we hoped the smoke would keep away the bugs.

S

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are Cuban cee-gars truly superior to the Dominicans? (I mean, comparing premium Cubies to premium Dominicans.)

A year ago I was doing a project in Vietnam and one of the guys I was with bought a Cuban (Cubans not legal here in the U.S. for you non-U.S. readers). He said it was by far the best cigar he's ever had.

Personally, I don't appreciate 'em, but I enjoy hearing cigar opinions anyway.

darkninja67

darkninja67

Newly Enlightened

Are Cuban cee-gars truly superior to the Dominicans? (I mean, comparing premium Cubies to premium Dominicans.)

A year ago I was doing a project in Vietnam and one of the guys I was with bought a Cuban (Cubans not legal here in the U.S. for you non-U.S. readers). He said it was by far the best cigar he's ever had.

Personally, I don't appreciate 'em, but I enjoy hearing cigar opinions anyway.
Cubans are pretty good. I know during the boom I had some Cubans that were rushed to market and very young.
I had an Hoyo that blew me away but I paid $20 for that stick.
Some Dominicans are just as flavorful and probably better built than a lot of Cuban marks. A lot of Cubans actually went to DR to work with the Domincans.
I think the mystique of a Cuban being illegal adds to the allure of one.
Personally I hope the ban is lifted but the cigars will still be pricey. Just take a look up north at Canada, I paid good money when I had a Cuban up there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.