Anyone used a Lambda Illuminator? Opinions

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyone out there using the Lambda Illuminator? I know it has significantly less burn times over the Inretech and CMG Reactor but what is the illumination difference? What are differences between using Alkalines or Lithiums?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi socalrunner,
I use the LI every day, and I really like it.
icon14.gif

It was designed with the use of rechargables in mind.

Quote from Lambda's website:
Lambda Illuminator Luxeon Star LED FlashLight

Internal DC/DC converter circuit maintains maximum brightness for available battery power over the life of the batteries. Operates on 2 ordinary AA alkaline cells, or preferred NiMh/NiCd rechargeables, no need to waste money on expensive lithium batteries. Runs for 2 to 4+ hours on a set of batteries depending on type, charge and usage.

I do not have a direct drive 2-cell luxeon light, but the LI is a bright light...
cool.gif

Hope this helps,

Big Tex

Enlightened
The LI was my first mod and it's still my fav mod. Bright and it is a reasonable size to carry. I use either alks or rechargeables.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
it is bright, solidly built and has a perfectly centered LS...mine has a greenish corona but this was my first LS and it is a classic

Zephyr

Enlightened
My Lambda Illuminator was my very first mod and I'm still amaze by the output to this day. I was one of the people who acquired the prototype with the LS having a blue tint similar to the HID lamps. And this thing is really bright!

ZEPH

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the pleasure of owning 2 LIs, each from different production batches. I sold one, but I am still holding on to the other - and I AIN'T LETTING GO
smile.gif

These are very bright flashlights, with a blue-tinged beam that borders on HID in its effect.

They are also very well-built mods - Kevin (Lambda) has put a lot of effort and care into each one. Apart from the flimsiness of the Brinkmann 2AA's LOTC switch (not Kevin's fault), the whole mod feels rock solid and unburstable. The mods are also very neatly done - it looks very very professional and you don't find bits of glue/epoxy or fingerprints and scratches on the optics when you receive the light. Very impressive indeed!

What I particularly enjoy about the LI is that you can swap out the optics, so the choice is yours if you want an NX01, NX05 or no optics for a wide flood beam.

I find the LIs extremely happy when running on nimhs or alkalines. Sticking in lithiums does not yield a noticeable (to me anyway) jump in brightness. In fact, my first LI began to flicker when used with lithiums - I think thermal protection kicked in. Fortunately, the flicker disappeared when I switched back to alks/nimhs. Well,it *was* designed to run with alks/nimhs anyway.

IMO, the LI is most definitely a mod of the highest standard and quality!

Though I value my flashlights for different reasons, I rank my LI equal with my Arc SLS, BB500 minimag in terms of being the best 2AA flashlights out there.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
My LI has got a perfect beam, built extreamly well, great color.......wait...I haven't received mine yet. I was just dreaming:) Not for long though. Mines coming next week! I should be able to just copy and paste this post though because I'm sure it will be perfect.

Darell

Flashaholic
I have an LI, an LS1, a KL1, and some Badboy-powered wonders. I like them all for different reasons. The LI is a wonderful light - and only recently did I learn how much BETTER the light is with NiMH. The thing acts like a current-regulated light with NiMH. Great, bright light. It lives in my garage currently, and is perfect for automotive work. Lambda did a fantastic job with these things!

The Li is the cheapest Luxeon light I have that I...uh... actually paid for.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I use Nimh batteries all the time and wondering what size batteries you guys are using 1600 or 1800 mah and what kind of burn times you are getting on average..

STC

Newly Enlightened
I LOVE my LI. The quality and craftsmanship is superb. I use it at work and at home because it produces just the right type of light for most of my needs. I used to use my E2 a lot, but the LI has taken first place now ( tied with Arc AAA LE).
You will only be disappointed if you hesitate. This is an absolutely first rate light.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll soon be receiving a 2-cell direct drive "Safety Illuminator" for the $35 list price. Lambda's Q2H low forward voltage LS purchase appears to be the ideal combination for acceptable brightness for a long run on lithium AA's.

The probability of getting relatively high 2-cell direct drive brightness with this light is why I bought it over (a) the alternative from CMG (not to mention that I prefer the Brinkmann aesthetics)and (b) the InReTech drop-in. I've not yet seen any indication that the alternatives preselect low forward voltage LS's.

rlhess

Enlightened
I really like the LI. It's the first-line flashlight for the office/workshop. My wife has essentially the same thing in an Ill Pill in a MiniMag as her edc. My edc, is an Arc sLS with 1/123. The cost of running the LI over the Arc is very attractive. I use alkalines. I don't use it enough to justify NiMHs. I use a set of alkalines about ever 3-4 weeks.

Cheers,

Richard

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hurray!

I received my Lambda Safety (direct drive) Illuminator today with selected low forward voltage luxeon. I'm pleasantly surprised at its reasonable brightness on 2 alkalines. I don't know whether Lambda put in a QH2 or a High Dome (The hot spot is pleasantly diffuse.)

The color is quite white.

I can't wait to compare how it looks with lithiums compared to my 416 mA Bad Boy Yellow in a Legend 2AA, My ARC 500 mA LSS, and either half of my Siamese twin LGI's.

I can tell you that, on alkalines, it's considerably brighter with a tighter beam than my X5. It is also considerably dimmer (but whiter)on alkalines than my dimmest LS, my BadBoy Yellow.

I can also recall that my apparently high forward voltage LGI's, which work very well with NiMH's, were relatively dim when tested with 2 lithiums and a dummy.

I more convinced than every that I wouldn't buy a 2AA direct drive LS unless the vendor selects low forward voltage Luxeons. That probably won't happen with a vendor that isn't able to use its sorted higher forward voltage Luxeons in a regulated package. Perhaps CMG's and InReTech's product lines will some day evolve to that stage.

P.S. Lambda even included a belt holster with the $35 Legend 2AA Lambda Safety Illuminator.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still excited. Lambda just advised me that my Safety Illuminator is a QH2 and that it meters out at 220,000 mcd on 2 alkalines and > 400,000 mcd on lithiums. I definitely have a keeper!!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just keeps getting better!

HooBoyHooboyHooBoya!

After I pestered Lambda he kindly advised:

(1.) that my Safety Illuminator is the brightest 2AA direct drive he has made to date, and
(2.) nobody else saw fit to order a Safety Illuminator out of his last QH2 and High Dome production run.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LI on NiMh's is 2 to 3 times brighter than my InReTech on lithiums. Plus the output is more HID color that the green of the Inretech. In fact, my LI come close to being as bright as MrB's LGI on NiMh's, with the LGI putting out a greater quanity of light. The LI would be a pretty tough light to beat. TX

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Ill Pill in the mail today. Happened to have my Inretech Legend 2AA w/lithiums with me at work, so I swapped light sources...

Before I swapped, I powered the pill up with 2 batteries and some jumper wires to see how it looked lit up outside of the flashlight. Well, it took 3 alkalines connected to one of my bare luxeons to come even close to the output of the pill on just 2 alkalines. Impressive!!

Needless to say, I installed the Pill and the lithiums, fired it up, and was floored when I saw the light output. MUCH MUCH more light than the Inretech and alot more white too. I might have to start uploading some beamshots this weekend after I get my website back in order. Folks, I highly recommend you beseech Lamda to make another batch. I'd buy another...maybe a couple.

Disclaimer: This is only my second luxeon flashlight, so take my observations with that in mind.

Mark

Zephyr

Enlightened
I just got my Ill Pill today with a Q2H LS and immediately installed it in my MiniMag. To my amazement, this thing is very bright! It's even a bit brighter than my early prototype Illuminator in which is one of the brightest LS that I own. Very impressive indeed.

ZEPH

Latest posts