Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

• Thread starter ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
  • Start date
Data

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Thanks for the kind words. Those carabiners you mentioned are very nice.

Does anybody on CPF have information suggesting that any of the dedomed XM-L2s have degraded from use or failed prematurely?

IsaacL

IsaacL

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
You're welcome and I meant every word Dave.

I know Lux-RC dedomes and "recoats" XP-L and XP-G2's to good effect. Everything I've read otherwise indicates that dedoming reduces the life and durability of the diode. Haven't seen test results to back that up though so YMMV and I defer to the experts...

M

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there might be an interest in very warm white LEDs (eg 4000K) for the aspheric/reflectorized parts? I just hate the cool white tint of the aspheric Vizeri light I bought to play with, and so I ordered the latest aspherical light from Vinh with the dedomed 4000K option. This reasoning is based on the fact that for outdoors I like my incand A2 with its 3300K tint more than any other light I have.

L

lefteye219

Enlightened
Cannot wait for the Tri-V3 to come out:popcorn:
Need to get myself one in SWGG

mr.lumen

mr.lumen

Enlightened
any idea when the tri-v3 would be coming out dave? or if i could get my hands on a v2? ever since i joined this forum your light has been my white whale. i believe i have enough saved to make the purchase. cant wait!

Data

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
The new Tri-V is coming. I am still working on the details and options. It is, in its base model, not going to change much from the Tri-V2 . . . new emitters and software changes. However there will be new options and so, depending on the configuration the user selects when it is ordered, the light may be quite different.

Cheers
Dave

Str8stroke

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
mr.lumen, oops! I somehow missed the Tri-V part! lol When the new version comes out, you/folks may be able to find some V2's as folks upgrade or raise funds! :)

Data: thanks! Sounds like it is going to be a really nice set up!

mr.lumen

mr.lumen

Enlightened
That's exciting! I guess ill keep my breath held :)

The new Tri-V is coming. I am still working on the details and options. It is, in its base model, not going to change much from the Tri-V2 . . . new emitters and software changes. However there will be new options and so, depending on the configuration the user selects when it is ordered, the light may be quite different.

Cheers
Dave

L

lefteye219

Enlightened

Cheers
Dave

This is a noiiiicceeee... Can't wait for the Tri-V3 to come out and will wait to see what are the new 'options' :popcorn:Excited

easilyled

easilyled

Flashaholic
If at all possible, data, I'd love for the new Tri-V3 to have the flood emitter covered with a glass window. If it were also possible for it to be slightly water resistant (ie light rain), that would be the icing on the cake.

M

Matrix 100

Newly Enlightened
Just received the Droid 58 and chain from Dave

A beautiful piece of jewelry

After the wife saw it, she has no reservations about buying me the new Tri - V3

Data

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
If at all possible, data, I'd love for the new Tri-V3 to have the flood emitter covered with a glass window. If it were also possible for it to be slightly water resistant (ie light rain), that would be the icing on the cake.

But then it would not be the Tri-V! No, the bare emitter will still be there. I appreciate where you're coming from but I see that as belonging on some other flashlight. One of the ideological reasons that I hold the line on this is, I want this light to still fit in your pocket. It does a lot of things and it was obviously my goal from the very beginning to make this thing as tiny as I could make it.I know it flies in the face of convention that you can directly see and even touch(very gingerly) the flood emitter, but that's where it gets part of its charm and uniqueness, no?

It takes many months to machine Tri-V bodies and heads. They're all done, in fact everything is done except my final emitter selection details, and assembly. Assembly takes a lot of time and instead of building them all ahead of time this go-round, I plan on just building a couple and releasing them. We are getting closer.

Cheers
Dave

easilyled

easilyled

Flashaholic
But then it would not be the Tri-V! No, the bare emitter will still be there. I appreciate where you're coming from but I see that as belonging on some other flashlight. One of the ideological reasons that I hold the line on this is, I want this light to still fit in your pocket. It does a lot of things and it was obviously my goal from the very beginning to make this thing as tiny as I could make it.I know it flies in the face of convention that you can directly see and even touch(very gingerly) the flood emitter, but that's where it gets part of its charm and uniqueness, no?

It takes many months to machine Tri-V bodies and heads. They're all done, in fact everything is done except my final emitter selection details, and assembly. Assembly takes a lot of time and instead of building them all ahead of time this go-round, I plan on just building a couple and releasing them. We are getting closer.

Cheers
Dave

The Tri-V is a fantastic light, but that is all the more reason why I want to feel safe carrying it around and frankly with a bare emitter, it doesn't feel quite as safe to me.

I can't quite follow why putting a protective glass cover over the bare emitter would increase the size of the light much.

However you make such fantastic products that I feel foolish trying to contest any decisions that you make. I did have the original Tri-V-V1 but I sold it because I felt that it was slightly vulnerable to the outside environment and I felt more comfortable with the 007s which I perceived to be more robust.

M

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly the same question regarding the glass over the flood emitter. No way it could increase the overall length of the light.

Without the glass I guess one would dedome the led by one's fingernail one day.

Last edited:
chipwillis

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried my Tri-V every where at work and in all elements with no problems. I'm out in the heat, cold, snow, rain and everything as as a Deputy Sheriff and have never worried about it.