Anything out ther brighter at a distance than our flashlight?

bullettproof

Enlightened
We have a lumens meter here. It will hit about 700-800 on a fresh set of batteries but the true lumens test is how tight a spot you can achieve at a distance. Is there such a standard set ? We can a hold 1-2 degree angle and our spot is either rectangular and it will image the LED or circular if we use a light pipe or light recycling collar.

Do a 1meter and 5meter LUX test thats whats common around here.

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
This is incorrect... a lumen test needs to be performed in an integrating sphere. It is the total sum of emitted light from a source.

The brightness of spot at a given distance is the Lux, not Lumen output.

You are correct. I am a mechanical engineer. still learning the optics side :)

I'm sure you understood that the true test is lighting an object at a distance.

bullettproof

Enlightened
What is the highest Lux so far at 1 and 5 meters?

So far from a single Die XR-E led which is only around 275 lumens I believe its 156,000 Lux. Saabluster is the builder the Deft is the light.Now there are other lights that can beet it but Lumen to Lux ratio it cant be beat.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
For all who are interested...

http://www.wavien.com/

Wavien is involved in the 3D motion picture/theater lighting industries, a USA/California based company in Valencia... an hour from Fountain Valley.

Keep us posted on your progress! I have no problem supporting a California-USA based company.

:thumbsup:

bullettproof

Enlightened
I looked it up already. Kramer whats the light the guy had taken to Europe and it was lighting up a house 6.5Km away like daylight.You know what Im talking about?

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
http://www.premienled.com/

This is how we "recycle" the LED light.

Typically the led will yield a wide beam. We use a "reflective" collar and bounce the light back on the the led which double and sometime triples the light output especially when a narrow beam is desired.

bullettproof

Enlightened
http://www.premienled.com/

This is how we "recycle" the LED light.

Typically the led will yield a wide beam. We use a "reflective" collar and bounce the light back on the the led which double and sometime triples the light output especially when a narrow beam is desired.

So its similar to a Surefire TIR Optic?

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a bit of chest beating going on here.

If they're not for sale, what's the point?

I can read about all sorts of wonderful ways to deliver light from a light source, but if I can't buy it, don't try and sell it to me.

Make something we can buy that's better than what we've got and you'll be a popular chap.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an optic:
http://www.premienled.com/index.php/led-recycling-module

Interesting... however (and mind you I'm not an engineer by any means so please don't flame me), I can't see how the "recycling" of light would amplify it by redirecting it back to LED unless the LED itself was also a reflector and not an emitter... unless the gold plated contacts the LED is sitting on is acting as the reflector? :thinking:

In this case, wouldn't the use of an optic on top of this further amplify the beam even more?

I'm all for any advances we can get out of LEDs and will be keeping an eye on this thread. Best of luck with your product!

EDIT: @ Jash, FWIW, while it's not the whole light, you can purchase the module from the link above.

Cheers,
Tim

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... however (and mind you I'm not an engineer by any means so please don't flame me), I can't see how the "recycling" of light would amplify it by redirecting it back to LED unless the LED itself was also a reflector and not an emitter... unless the gold plated contacts the LED is sitting on is acting as the reflector? :thinking:

+1
Difficult to imagine how this could work :confused:

I looked it up already. Kramer whats the light the guy had taken to Europe and it was lighting up a house 6.5Km away like daylight.You know what Im talking about?

You are probably reffering to the Maxablaster :)

Noctis

Enlightened
Seems like a bit of chest beating going on here.

If they're not for sale, what's the point?

I can read about all sorts of wonderful ways to deliver light from a light source, but if I can't buy it, don't try and sell it to me.

Make something we can buy that's better than what we've got and you'll be a popular chap.
Agreed. I personally have my eyes on a DEFT myself. But then I find myself wondering if my 150mW green laser can't accomplish much the same(I'll bet the lux is higher too).

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
It's not an optic:
http://www.premienled.com/index.php/led-recycling-module

In this case, wouldn't the use of an optic on top of this further amplify the beam even more?

I'm all for any advances we can get out of LEDs and will be keeping an eye on this thread. Best of luck with your product!

EDIT: @ Jash, FWIW, while it's not the whole light, you can purchase the module from the link above.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

bullettproof

Enlightened
I too was baffled how this works. By the reflecting the light back on to the phosphor, reinvigorates the substrate and produces even more light. Trust me it works. We have a device that puts our "recycling collar" on a LED and doubles the output real-time.

You should send one of these over to one of the big name guys on this forum that can test this out. If you want solidity with your product here.

Heres a few people that I would trust and are gurus here.

Luxluthor
Bigchellis
Nailbender
Macs Customs
Moddoo
MilkySpit

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying that heating the phosphor in the LED (from the energy of the photons striking the phosphor) is amking the LED more efficient? Because that would be incorrect. LED's are more efficient at lower currents than higher ones, and do not like to be heated.

I think your "light recycler" is actually just making the aperture the light is able to come out of smaller, thus increasing lux readings, but probably significantly decreasing lumen output. It's an interesting, out of the box idea, but it doesn't "recycle" light, it just concentrates it more (similar to an optic) in a smaller space than an optic, thus decreasing the length of the overall unit.

I still think you're confusing lux and lumens. And I agree that this device should be tested by one of the guru's here. BigChellis is at the top of my list, as far as an integrating sphere...