AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights ** Terra versions added**

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes. I have an LS20 and LS27 and luv 'em but some day want to get an AquaRam too and do a similar mod to what you've suggested.

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! So after reading all of the thread I would like to hear your thoughts on chosing a led specifically for the aquamule. As far as Ti go, I currently own an original Sundrop 3s with the 083 nichia led and recently a 3s xp-g2 1x123 haiku. So as you can tell I definitely appreciate tint and cri but would like my aquamule to have enough power and be differentisted from my other flashlights as well. I believe that the aquamule is capable of driving the xp-g2 harder than the haiku (I am only interested in driving it safely without putting the led at risk). So do you think that the difference in drive between the haiku and the aquamule is enough to justify using the same led or do you think I should go with the xm-l2? I know one's a thrower and the other is all flood but I am debating on wether going for diversity of leds or wether the experience of both flashlights is different enough to justify having both the haiku and aquamule using the xp-g2. People who have used both aquamules, which is your favorite and which do you recommend in my case? Thank you!

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
I find that, for my general usage, a super powerful mule is not necessary.

I would rather have a powerful thrower, perhaps at the expense of tint and CRI if necessary, but a mule with excellent tint and CRI at the expense of output.

So I have smaller Mules with Nichia emitters, but AquaRam with XPG2, Makai with XML, and Aleph3 with XML / XPL / XHP50 options ....

Last edited:

Trip Miller

Enlightened
I second Don. I have found few XM-L or L2s that I ever prefer over Nichia or XP-G or G2. Except in a heavier throw setups possibly. (I got a 4500K XM-L2 from DatiLED that went into a 6V Haiku that I use on a 2 x 123 pak or 2 x AA and that one is great. But I swear it is way warmer than 4500K which is why I like it and no tint shift like most XM-Ls have...)

I digress,,,I would put an XP-G2 in the Aquamule in a heartbeat...my 2 cents.

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
Thank you archimedes and trip miller for your response! One further question, I read that the XP-G3 was announced recently. As far as Mules go, do you see any (at least theoretical until someone can test them) merit to them for use in the aquamule? I read that they can withstand higher temperatures and can be safely driven to 2A. I also read that there should be 90+ CRI versions at diverse temperatures so that wont be limited to the warm tints anymore. Sounds like potentially an interesting LED for an aquamule or am I missing something? In case a new LED came out such as the XP-G3, is it possible to purchase the LE only for an upgrade? Thanks!

Edit: Corrected XP-G3.

Last edited:

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Much more complicated to upgrade the AquaMule than the standard Mule ....

Also, McGizmo are not really about cutting edge emitters. More about usability, functionality, durability, and beauty.

One of my favorite McGizmo is a vintage SunDrop with a N083 LED. That emitter is long "outdated" , but still works just as well as the day I got it, and has a beautiful beam [emoji106]

Last edited:

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
So net net, get the aquamule XP-G2, forget about cutting edge emitters, and get outside and enjoy it :thumbsup:.

Trip Miller

Enlightened
Much more complicated to upgrade the AquaMule than the standard Mule ....

Also, McGizmo are not really about cutting edge emitters. More about usability, functionality, durability, and beauty.

One of my favorite McGizmo is a vintage SunDrop with a N083 LED. That emitter is long "outdated" , but still works just as well as the day I got it, and has a beautiful beam [emoji106]

Eventually, if and when said emitter comes out, if it is all that it is cracked up to be then you can find a way to get it into the light of your choice typically. In the meantime get what you like that is available now and enjoy it.

I too have a Sundrop XRU with the N083. I used it last night next to the bed and it is what I reach for when I have anything I want to see accurately. And it is an oldie but goodie.

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
Interesting! Can you please sare me the contact or how to find him? Did you get a chance to play with the light pre mod and after mod? Is the sink in the aquamule enough to drive the xml2 to 2.2A safely without risking its integrity? Any beam shots? Sorry for bombing you with questions but I'm very curious about your setup, going to 2.2A sounds very tempting, and I've heard that led has plenty of spill. Thank you!!

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
My new Hi CRI Mule head arrived, already have a bunch of McGizmo's but I'm still just as amazed and excited as the day when I received my first, thanks again Don!! :D:D:D

Latest posts