Arc flashlight is officially out of business...again

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the Arc 4 was designed by Henry of HDS and things did not go as planned with the production. Peter and Henry parted company amid disputes, financial and otherwise.

Now that I think about it, was the Arc4 really designed by Henry? Or was it one of the unsecured creditors in the Arc LLC bankruptcy who made this claim? :thinking:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it was a Henry light, here it is under their legacy page, http://www.hdssystems.com/Products/Legacy/Arc4/.
One of the nicest looking lights imho.

Thanks :thumbsup:, I'm sure I saw that page years ago but couldn't remember where. And, I have several of Henry's lights from later iterations of the same design.

Also, there were several threads here on CPF, sometimes later closed, about the 'real' reason why Arc LLC went out of business so suddenly. Mag Instrument filed an infringement claim against Arc's use of circumferential lettering on an aluminum flashlight body. But this claim was later withdrawn. Was there something else as inferred by vague references to the CPF Underground? Peter has publically claimed that his poor business decisions were solely to blame.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I remember there being a couple of very helpful girls that worked there over the years but not concurrent. Anyone remember their names?

They seemed to get right on problems with orders and service, I wager they never knew how valuable they were to many members on this forum over the years.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Mr Woods,

Not familiar with that - care to expand on it?

(I like the histories!)

It was the strangest product release I ever saw. There where limited numbers. Some were on Ebay auction with reserve etc etc etc. I found the entire release bizarre and to this date never witnessed one like that again. It was like they wanted maximum money for each and every light. I hate playing games when looking to buy something. Tell me the price and I will buy it or not. But this was so strange that I find it hard to properly recap all the moving parts as there were a few if my memory is correct.

I wanted an Arc AAA but went with the E01 as for the same reason why I didn't get an HDS systems edc rotary. Wanting too much money for slightly upgraded LED or a few more lumens from the same platform which doesn't cost hardly anything extra to do. I guess that's why I won't pay more for a 219 B Malkoff. Same idea though for that tint is the difference. However gladly pay Gene for an N or W which is close to the same price. I should check if today's HDS is still doing that as do kinda want one.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
What went so awfully wrong?

Well they're BK twice over so clearly something went wrong though not sure if any of that can be directly connected. Still it's true just the same. I can't imagine it really helped the company to be hawking each and every light for a different price. Looked ridiculous IMHO.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Let's not rehash the drama of the Peter Grancee era with Arc. Do some searching on the Underground for info. I know that I should have ordered a few more of the AAA's the past few years. Great lights. I have some of the earliest.

Bill

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, there were several threads here on CPF, sometimes later closed, about the 'real' reason why Arc LLC went out of business so suddenly. Mag Instrument filed an infringement claim against Arc's use of circumferential lettering on an aluminum flashlight body. But this claim was later withdrawn. Was there something else as inferred by vague references to the CPF Underground? Peter has publically claimed that his poor business decisions were solely to blame.

Let's not rehash the drama of the Peter Grancee era with Arc. Do some searching on the Underground for info.

Thanks for the tip! Wow, some really interesting early LED light history (and a startling admission of guilt by a former Arc LLC employee :eek:).

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I'm glad I got some spares a few years back to keep in unused in the safe.

My wife has one on her keychain with Ano. all but gone, except the two small round smooth areas. Looks cool all Ano. worn. I still love my AAA P models even though the LED is kind of purple. Still useful if you are not bothered by color temperature.

Years back, I would order several and give them as Christmas gifts, and then kept a few around for gifts for visitors to our studio.

colossus

Newly Enlightened
Very sad news. I still have my Arc ls3. Only about 30 made with the cat pee color emitter. Still it was a quality made flashlight.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
I still carry my Arc AAA P on my key chain. The anodizing is wearing off but I like it, and when it finally dies the spare is waiting to take it's place.

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
It's a damn shame. I still have their AAA UV light, it works perfectly and never gave me any trouble.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what really killed ARC flashlight, was very little to no marketing. Especially since they were the exclusive retailer.

The AAA offered a nice well rounded package for someone looking for a well made flashlight.

yes they had some customer service issues, but over all customer service was good. If you really want to look at bad customer service look at Peak flashlights.

In addition to marketing, maybe an update to the LED would have kept the light more relevant and popular.

I also think the price increase in the past few years was a bit to much.

otherwise it's a great flashlight with an awesome track record with its real world users

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad to see them go, but actually find it hard to believe the Arc-aaa models lasted this long considering what you can get from Fenix, etc.

I still own two AAA models, one of the earliest Natural HA models I think with a BS LED (maybe about 3lm?) that is looking well used, carried it for years, and a DS Arc-P model in great condition. Haven't carried them in years. Today I will replace the Fenix EO-5 on the car keychain with the Arc for a week of so in tribute.

Here are some old reviews of the Arc AAA:
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/eleventh/arcaaads.htm

http://www.everydaycommentary.com/2011/06/arc-aaa-p-review.html
"... This is a light made by one of the greatest production flashlight companies of all time, at their absolute peak of output and design prowess. The Arc AAA and the AAA-P stand as a testament to just how good Arc was and how, in light of the disastrous Arc 6, far they have fallen...."

Mike Rivera

Newly Enlightened
Bummer, been carrying an Arc AAA-P on my keychain everyday for over 5 years. Love that little light and it's always with me.