Arc Flashlights 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
On that whiter / brighter difference between LE and AAA Peter made it clear that right now they use SB2 for the standard and used SB1 for the LEs - where both are the brighter "S" types and the B1 is greener and B2 more blue. Peter also mentioned that ARC used some small number of SB1s in normal production to satisfy demand. Also befor he got the "S" types he used the "R" ones in the normal units and might do so in the future.

I personally would like Peter to continue using S types and possibly T types in the future.

I hope I posted no nosense but this issue was discussed earlier in the thread and Peter answered it I guess X times already.

Klaus

Spidey82

Enlightened
just receive my arc aaa. the light is good. i left it on and it is still glowing in the morining (the batt was dead when i put it in)measure it, 0.375v

now some question for u peter,
-is the led use in the v.3 wide or narrow beam?
-how come my v.3 doesn't have a 'gold' coating (chemkote) on neither head or body?
-is the reflecter finish durable? is it some coating or highly polish aluminium?
-will the keychain and normally keys scrach the coating? (i know its HA3 but my E2 HA3 wasn't 'that' fanstastic) so is the HA3 on arc same hardness as SF?

thats for the question,
now my vote is white for CPF edition arc.
reason---- white is more for serious user who uses their arc for serious task, if i use my arc simpily for playing den,turquoise might be a better choice. i am serious
grin.gif

but one thing i would like to have in the CPF arc is XR function. Peter u working on this??
confused.gif

Linfeng
cool.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spidey82:
white is more for serious user who uses their arc for serious task<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. A serious Arc user already has ten or twelve white Arc's banging around the house...

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:
they use SB2 for the standard and used SB1 for the LEs - where both are the brighter "S" types and the B1 is greener and B2 more blue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, for those of you keeping score at home: I'm right in theory and (judging by his picture) Craig is right in practice. My guess, as before, is that Craig's got an older R rank LED in his standard AAA.

Everybody have their score cards marked? Everybody on the same page again? Excellent. OK, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,
Do the EV turquiose and the regular Turquoise have similar beam patterns and angles? Or is the EV brighter because it has a narrower beam?

How about rings and dark spots in the beam? Its great that the EV is brighter and all but I think its equaly important that it has a nice beam pattern, and I'm rather partial to the wide beam of the current model.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I ordered 3 Arcs from Texas Tactical Supply recently, those guys are great. Ship very fast and good prices. Highly recommended.

The new LE i got has a off-center beam and looks almost the same brightness as my old AAA, the beam has double rings in them too. Not very impressive this LE.

r2

Enlightened
I think this might have been answered already but I lost track: are the standard 3.0 whites currently in production built with SB2 whites?

I know many of the older lights were made with the class R brightness and then Peter got his hands on brighter whites which he used in the standard arc aaa. Was that just a temporary thing or are the recent 3.0 models being made with the brighter (albeit more blue tinted) whites?

I actually kind of like the blue tint to white LEDs. It's like the antidote to the tint mode incandescents give. I'm waiting on the CPF edition, but if I can get the same brightness from a standard model I may just go with that since numbers will be limited and someone who prefers the other tint would appreciate it more.

- Russ

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by One001:
Peter, Can you describe the tinting of the Turquoise EV or post some comparative beam shots? Are we looking at a blue tint or a green tint? Will these be ready for order the same time you open up the ordering for the CPF edition?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is the "E" tint rank, which is the same tint rank as what we had in the previous batch. The ranks are D, E and F for turquoise. D is towards the blue end and F is towards the green end so you can see the E is right in the middle of the blue-green range.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spidey82:
just receive my arc aaa. the light is good. i left it on and it is still glowing in the morining (the batt was dead when i put it in)measure it, 0.375v

now some question for u peter,
-is the led use in the v.3 wide or narrow beam?
-how come my v.3 doesn't have a 'gold' coating (chemkote) on neither head or body?
-is the reflecter finish durable? is it some coating or highly polish aluminium?
-will the keychain and normally keys scrach the coating? (i know its HA3 but my E2 HA3 wasn't 'that' fanstastic) so is the HA3 on arc same hardness as SF?

thats for the question,
now my vote is white for CPF edition arc.
reason---- white is more for serious user who uses their arc for serious task, if i use my arc simpily for playing den,turquoise might be a better choice. i am serious
grin.gif

but one thing i would like to have in the CPF arc is XR function. Peter u working on this??
confused.gif

Linfeng
cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me try to answer all these.

- The version number always refers to the improvements made to the parts of the flashlight other than the LED. We also upgraded the LED for some of the colors about the same time we upgraded the rest of the flashlight to v3. The same upgrade eventually appears in all the models and variations of that particular size.

Some of the LED colors offered are wide angle and some are narrow. Our website provides this information as well. For example the turquoise is 30 degrees. This is for all turquoise Arc-AAA models.

- If your threads do not have a gold tint, then you probably have a version 2.5 which was the first version made available in blister pack and includes the type III HA finish.

- The reflector is machined polished to about a RMS 16 if I remember the numbers. This is T6 aluminum and is fairly durable to real world abrasions. Feel free to ask anyone here who has had an Arc-AAA for a long time.

- Your right about HA not being impervious to everything. It can be scratched. The point of HA it is one of the most scratch resistant finishes available. The biggest weakness of any anodize finish in my opinion is the points on the knurl. The metal actually breaks off and take the HA with it. Our knurl was already fairly durable with this test, but version 3.0 added a slightly improved knurl design.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sylvestor:
Hi Peter,

Any updates on when the Arc-LS cyans will be ready ?

thanks,

sylvestor.
smile.gif
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will be producing them at the same time we produce this next run. It looks like the next run, which is in production right now, will be done the 2-3 week of March. These units are to fulfill back orders only. We will begin accepting new orders in very limited numbers in April (if all goes well).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cave dave:
Peter,
Do the EV turquiose and the regular Turquoise have similar beam patterns and angles? Or is the EV brighter because it has a narrower beam?

How about rings and dark spots in the beam? Its great that the EV is brighter and all but I think its equally important that it has a nice beam pattern, and I'm rather partial to the wide beam of the current model.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The EV and EU (regular rank) turquoise have identical beams and tints. Only the brightness is different. The EU is rated by the old system ad 3.4cd (3400mcd) and the EV is rated at 4.8cd. Both are at a 30-degree beam angle.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ Ross:
I think this might have been answered already but I lost track: are the standard 3.0 whites currently in production built with SB2 whites?

I know many of the older lights were made with the class R brightness and then Peter got his hands on brighter whites which he used in the standard arc aaa. Was that just a temporary thing or are the recent 3.0 models being made with the brighter (albeit more blue tinted) whites?

I actually kind of like the blue tint to white LEDs. It's like the antidote to the tint mode incandescent give. I'm waiting on the CPF edition, but if I can get the same brightness from a standard model I may just go with that since numbers will be limited and someone who prefers the other tint would appreciate it more.

- Russ
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, we have been using the B2S white in the standard Arc-AAA since last year. Before we used B2R since that was all that was available from Nichia.

So the tint of our standard white has really not changed much (except for a few small "weird" runs). But they have gotten brighter over time.

We started using the brighter S ranks in the standard whites about a month after the LE came out. So at least at first, the LEs where brighter. Now, their claim to fame is their unique tint, case marking, and case finish. Of course, we stopped making them for awhile because the B1S rank is fairly rare and hard to get.

Sorry if this is all confusing. I really don't want our offerings to be complex so please forgive me.

Btw, production on the 100 dark blue CPF models was started today.

Peter Gransee

Steelhead

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to thank you peter for your quick and thorough response.

I think offering the standard aaa in the natural anodize in the near future is an excellent idea. I'm sure your customers will appreciate the choice.

Keep up the great work. I'm spreading the news myself and everyone is left awestruck by the quality and craftsmanship of your little lights. I'm sure sales are destined to surpass that of maglite especially if they don't get with the program and enter the world of led.

Thanks again!!!!

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
Sorry if this is all confusing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, this is the first time that I haven't been confused in a while. Thanks for clearing everything up. It is as I thought, but its good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Btw, production on the 100 dark blue CPF models was started today.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yay!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

Forgive me if this question has asked and answered already.

What is the difference between the CPF edition and the LE edition?

All I want is the "brighest, white-est" keychain light I can get!

Thanks,

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Just got my Arc AAA-LE today from Brightguy.

This is my first Arc and it is a high zoot piece of equipment. Now I can see what everyone is exited about!!! My secretary also bought one and she loves hers too.

Mine is v3.0 with Chemkote on the head and body. Very nice. Where do I sign up for the CPF edition?

On a side note and more for curiosity than anything else, does Arc have a private label program and if so, what are the requirements/limitations?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff - post to Peter Gransee, president of ARC, directly on that - I guess its all a question of numbers.

Klaus

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JackStraw:

1) Are the EV Turqs. available and where?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike -

Nope, but they should be available next week at TTS, according to William.

One001

Newly Enlightened
Peter, you posted some pics of the Cyan LS beam back in December. Is the color of the Turquoise EV close to this or is it much greener? Please descibe. Also, how much brighter is 1 cd in practical terms anyway?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really think everbody should be required to read at least two pages back before they ask questions:
But i'll field this for peter anyhow.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
The EV rank Turquiose produces more output than any other Arc-AAA color or rank. I visually compared the EV with the normal turquiose rank informally in a well lit QC area and they seemed almost the same to me. The numbers say though that the EV is about 1cd or more brighter than the normal turquiose we use.

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terrapin Flyer

Newly Enlightened
That was kinda' my point in my earlier post, but now with 34 pages and nearly 500 posts and various topics going on and various repeat posts and clarifications posts here & there, which 2 pages back should I go review? I'm not being a smartass, really I'm not, I'm just hoping for some addl. organization to the Arc thread - like perhaps an "area". I think it would be helpful to all of us.

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, a while back somebody asked if this thread could possibly hit 500 posts. I think the question was asked a week ago (or less). I'm here to confirm that YES, this thread may just hit 500 posts if we aren't really careful.

One001

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
I'm here to confirm that YES, this thread may just hit 500 posts if we aren't really careful.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow Darell, you are quick! You must have been watching that post counter like a hawk to get in at exactly 500. Congratulations!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.