Arc Flashlights 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrkev

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OrBy:
vcal - You know it
smile.gif

Hey on that topic some one posted before about about adding thoes GID pigments to the filler used in the arc aaa heads - so it kinda turned into a always on light. What ever happened to this idea?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After I first posted, nobody really responded. If we bug Peter enough, maybe he will look into it.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harrkev:

After I first posted, nobody really responded. If we bug Peter enough, maybe he will look into it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I must have missed it - what "filler" are you talking about? Nothing but the reflector really gets any light shed on it, does it (for the self-charging aspect)?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Peter

my reply to your last email sent to the @gransee domain bounced back again telling me: Unable to relay for [email protected] [xyz being your adress there) - so you might check that again - BTW - MSN s**cks.

My email just was - ANYTIME ! Klaus

Thanks again

Klaus

Sidenote:

Peter Gransee and his company are not only impressing with their product-lines and that special treatment CPF and CPF-members are getting from him but I want to post that I had the opportunity to receive first-class customer service from them unheard of. Very special company Peter is building up here.

Realizing that such companies focussed on great products, listening to customer feedback and offering great service ususally tend to become major players in their field if they succesfully manage the growing pains - which I think all of us wish Peter to the fullest - might I suggest a special CPF pre-IPO financing round / private placement opportunity
grin.gif

Klaus

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
darell - the arc aaa's "head" is filled with a epoxy filler of some sort to make it water proof and bond the pc board in - if you mixed gid pigment into this epoxy - the spill back from the led could charge it and it would feed light back through the led when the unit is off - making it seem like its always on dimly (as long as the gid pigment keeps glowing that is)

i dont know if this would work that well but it would be a cool feature if it worked (sort of a always on like the pal lights but with 0 power draw)

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not been out here for awhile but I remember talk of various special edition ARC's. Has any one considered Brass. That would definately be a special light. I did not think of Brass in a modern light until I saw this. Now I want modern brass flashlights.

yaleflashlight.jpg]

I'll bet a Brass Arc-AAA or Arc-LS would be striking.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OrBy:

if you mixed gid pigment into this epoxy - the spill back from the led could charge it and it would feed light back through the led when the unit is off
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OrBy -

I get it now. I must have missed that particular thread. No way of knowing how well that would work until somebody tried it I guess. Just think how well-charged the GID paint would be if applied to the reflector. It think that'll work GREAT.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
For the time being, only Gransee can start threads. But any registered member can reply. If he wants that changed I will do so.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks David! This should make the data easier to organize.

Do you use PayPal? How about a link to a page that explains why and how to donate to the forum? I understand the CPF is privately funded by your genorosity. You have kept from using ads or other means to pay hosting fees. I know this has probally been suggested before, but I would like to cast my vote and ask that a donation system be put in place. It is entirely up to you of course.

As far as how to organize the Arc forum, I would like for any CPF member to able to start a topic, just like the other forums here. I will also start a couple of general topics which should help organize some of the discussions. We will see how it works and just change if it doesn't.

This particular thread will be retired in a day or two and the discussions picked up in the new threads.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertrucker:
Mr.Gransee, it would be "super swell" if you
could post the "CPF edition" order link right about...NOW! It's just that I can only get online at home at night. Maybe I could sweeten the deal a little with some Baked goods courtesy of "Superwife"?
How did you put it earlier?..."Rrright"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh. I am a softy for home cooked meals.

I am waiting on the link until I have a picture of the CPF edition suitable for the website. This should happen this weekend! That means we will start taking orders this weekend for the CPF edition. I will start a thread in the Arc forum (nice ring to that..)right away and then post the link when it is ready.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harrkev:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I don't remember if I posted on this topic yet. I did think about it though- sure of that.
smile.gif
If the powder is applied to the epoxy, there is no way for the light it produces to effectively shine to the outside world. A very small amount may get past the reflector cup of the LED from the rear and shine through, but we are talking miniscule. Other than that, there is no other visible path. The other idea was to apply it to the reflector or the anodized housing. Since it is a paint, it might flake off over time. I would be happy to test it though if you would like to send me some for that purpose.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:
@Peter

my reply to your last email sent to the @gransee domain bounced back again telling me: Unable to relay for [email protected] [xyz being your adress there) - so you might check that again - BTW - MSN s**cks.

My email just was - ANYTIME ! Klaus

Thanks again

Klaus

Sidenote:

Peter Gransee and his company are not only impressing with their product-lines and that special treatment CPF and CPF-members are getting from him but I want to post that I had the opportunity to receive first-class customer service from them unheard of. Very special company Peter is building up here.

Realizing that such companies focussed on great products, listening to customer feedback and offering great service ususally tend to become major players in their field if they succesfully manage the growing pains - which I think all of us wish Peter to the fullest - might I suggest a special CPF pre-IPO financing round / private placement opportunity
grin.gif

Klaus
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Klaus! Yeah, I have about had with MSN. I am looking at other providers.

I toyed with the idea of CPF stock options, but I ultimately realized that it wouldn't work to well. Mostly for legal reasons. Also, you already "invest" in the company and receive dividends on your "investment" everytime you purchase one of our flashlights or provide input on this forum. Your return is ongoing (beyond your initial investment) in the form of support, a good warranty and of course- the use of the product.

That being said, I am also interested in large scale investment by people who can bring such a partnership to the table. Only serious offers please. And only if such an offer ultimately strengthens Arc Flashlight and furthers our ability to indulge our customers. I am pretty picky though and have turned down several offers already because they just weren't worth the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:
I have not been out here for awhile but I remember talk of various special edition ARC's. Has any one considered Brass. That would definately be a special light. I did not think of Brass in a modern light until I saw this. Now I want modern brass flashlights.

I'll bet a Brass Arc-AAA or Arc-LS would be striking.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would it suprise you to know that there are about 30 brass Arc-AAAs in existance? Another side project of our machinist. Some are due to be gold plated even. Now I mentioned this of course, just because you asked. These are not planned products. I will post a picture of some here this weekend.

Just a reminder, we are small company. We occasionally produce variations, prototypes, etc. But because we are a small company, we must be very focused on a simple product line- at least until we grow up. This means no brass flashlights unless all of sudden we start getting flooded with requests. As it is, yours was the first.

Peter Gransee

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Peter,

What do you do with all the prototypes and test samples you and your machinists produce?

(How about auction some of them off?
grin.gif
)

Thanks,
SFR

PhilAlex

Enlightened
Not to be a pain, but I just returned from a very elite marketing conference in the US, and one of the biggest things that was talked about was the whole "limited edition" deal.

Take a look at a company like MINOX. Their little cameras are available in Silver, Platinum, and Chrome plated.

Or Fisher Pen's, even. (Chrome is the best)

You also should have a "bundle" option, IE: One of each colour, and a "super deluxe" version, that comes numbered in a box or something.

Natch, do the same with the Arc-LS.

And Peter: What's this I hear about an ARC that takes a Double A? Tell us MORE!

JollyRoger

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilAlex:

Natch, do the same with the Arc-LS.

And Peter: What's this I hear about an ARC that takes a Double A? Tell us MORE!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ARC LS takes the AA. Either one or two, depending on the configuration you use. (or CR123 lithium) Was this a joke question? Sorry for the serious answer if it was...
smile.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suggested by Peter on his previous post: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Do you use PayPal? How about a link to a page that explains why and how to donate to the forum? I understand the CPF is privately funded by your genorosity. You have kept from using ads or other means to pay hosting fees. I know this has probally been suggested before, but I would like to cast my vote and ask that a donation system be put in place. It is entirely up to you of course. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would be infavor of contributing to the up keep of CPF. TX

Steelhead

Newly Enlightened
Hi Peter,
Just wondering if you were able to read my post(pg.34) regarding the beam angles etc.

If you could respond with a brief reply(I know you're a busy man) I would really appreciate it.

I have an order on hold at an online store for some of the LE and EVs and the info will help me to make my purchasing decision.
Thanks for all of your help.
Steelhead

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steelhead:
Hi Peter,
Just wondering if you were able to read my post(pg.34) regarding the beam angles etc.

If you could respond with a brief reply(I know you're a busy man) I would really appreciate it.

I have an order on hold at an online store for some of the LE and EVs and the info will help me to make my purchasing decision.
Thanks for all of your help.
Steelhead
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm! I must have missed that one..

Here's your orginal post:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steelhead:
Hi, again Peter

I have a question about MCDs, Beam Angles,and Bulb Colors. I am a bit confused as to how these 3 combine to affect perceived brightness.

I have been to the arc website and have noted the various led outputs and corresponding beam angles. I will list most here for reference.

Eg. Turquoise AAA: 4800mcd 30deg. beam angle
White AAA: 6400mcd 20deg.
Blue AAA: 3200mcd 30deg.
Green AAA: 3400mcd 30deg.
Red AAA: 8500mcd 24deg.
Orange AAA: 10000mcd 15deg.
Yellow AAA: 8000mcd 15deg.

1.) I am under the impression that the greater the beam angle the more diffused the light resulting in a dimmer perceived brightness(how it looks to the eye)while holding bulb color(wavelength)and power supply constant. Is this accurate?

2.) I was wondering what the beam angle is on both the turquoise EV and on the ARC LE as these are not stated on the website.

3.) If, as I'm guessing, the bulb angles are 30deg. for the EV and 20deg. for the LE. How then do the two lights compare in perceived brightness(to the eye).
IE. Although you mentioned earlier that the turquoise ev had the most output of any of the ARC AAA lights. Is its perceived brightness reduced because of its wider beam angle actually making the LE with its smaller beam angle brighteer to the eye, all be it a white bulb.

4.)I guess bottom line, of all currently produced ARC AAAs, including EV bulb and LE which light/color/beam angle combo is the brightest to the eye. (Although this may be considered subjective I'll take your eyes word for it so to speak.

Thanks Peter, I hope this helps a lot of others out there as well.
I'm sure it will help my confused ---.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right, the beam angles for the EU and EV turquoise LEDs are both 30 degrees. The difference is in lumenosity (the actual amount of light being produced).

The beam angles for all of our white LED Arc-AAAs are 20 degrees. The difference is tint and total output.

Your first assumption is correct btw, the beam angle spreads the light output over a greater area. This produces a larger "cone" of light. With a color LED, it also reduces rings/etc in the beam. Now the turquoise does have artifacts in the beam so do not be too suprised. The white LED version still produces the smoothest beam of all the LEDs.

I recommend white for general use. The turquiose does produce more light. But since it is more spread out, it does not throw as far as the white does.

Peter Gransee

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I created a couple of "hub" topics for this forum. I also asked DavidW to turn on general posting so you can start any thread you wish, please try to keep it Arc related.

We will see how this works. I will lock this thread and pick up the discussion in the other threads. If this doesn't work out in practice, we will go back to the a single thread.

Peter Gransee

Status
Not open for further replies.