Arc LS or a Surefire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo6

Newly Enlightened
I never seen a Arc LS but heard its pretty bright for a single LED and its compared to like 10-15 LED's. But how's it compared to a dual 123A's Surefire? I also heard that Surefire's is not duable if you drop it the you can easily break the buld and the bulb is not cheap.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is kind of hard verbally comparing the two- and if you are making a purchase decision, it would be helpful to know your primary use for the light. The Surefire is better for some things and the ARC LS is better for others.

If all you want is to compare the beams at a fixed distance, there are beam shots of a wide variety of incandescent and LED lights here:
http://az123.com/darksbane/beamshots_&_lux.htm

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends of the light but generally not cheap. For an example, I see that a replacement E2 bulb is $12 from www.brightguy.com . I can't add much more then what Darell said but unlike him, my E2 lamp blew. It was replaced for free by Surefire as it did not have much useage.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Turbo6:
I never seen a Arc LS but heard its pretty bright for a single LED and its compared to like 10-15 LED's. But how's it compared to a dual 123A's Surefire? I also heard that Surefire's is not duable if you drop it the you can easily break the buld and the bulb is not cheap.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Currently, you can't really compare an ARC-LS with any of the SureFire product line. Both lights serve a different purpose and is dependant upon you planned usage of the light. I find a combination of the ARC-LS and the SureFire E2E to be a perfect fit to handle over 90% of my daily needs. Both are very easily pocketable and will not feel intrusive while on you.

Darell

Flashaholic
I actually have found that an Arc AAA and an E2 make for a great combo carry. If I only want to carry one light, THEN I take the LS. But difference is good!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Turbo6: Everything these guys have said, IMO, is 100% correct. I've found that most of these "vets" know what they're talking about. I've never been led astray.
Darell: Again, you speaketh the truth.

Darell

Flashaholic
I wouldn't say that the bulbs break easily, or that Surefires are not durable. BUT, incandescent bulbs in general definitely break easier than do LEDs. Any LED will be more durable than an incandescent bulb. If bulb breakage is your primary concern, LEDs will become your friend very soon.

Well, I've got a few E series Surefires, and I've had a few Arc LSs. From what I can tell, they're finishes are equally durable. I have yet to need to replace a bulb in a Surefire, but I also know that the time is coming, and I have spares at the ready. If I knew I'd be dropping the light regularly, I'd narrow my choices to LEDs.

And as for the light quality, it is very difficult to compare a great incandescent and a great LED light. The Surefire will throw the light MUCH further, but the LS is far more useful for near-field tasks. If you're searching for an object in an open field, the SF would be best. If you're looking for something in the bedroom, I'd grab the LS. For things like working in enclosed areas (under the dashboard of the car, under the sink, etc) an LED light is superior, in my opinion. But for now, incandescents still have the edge for distance illumination.

Oh, and I almost forgot the official CPF response: Get both!
grin.gif

BTW, if you want both a Surefire AND a Luxeon-based light, the KL1 will be out soon.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by this_is_nascar:
Currently, you can't really compare an ARC-LS with any of the SureFire product line. Both lights serve a different purpose and is dependant upon you planned usage of the light.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">nascar: while I agree with you generally, I do think you can make a meaningful direct comparison between the Surefire E1 and the Arc LS. They are similar in size, and have roughly similar purposes in life.

For me, the Arc LS blows the E1 away as far as usefulness. The Arc LS's beam is nearly perfect for utility use, IMO. The E1's beam is too tight to be generally useful. If you put the beamshaper on the E1, now the beam is more useful, but it's also so much wider that it's not very bright compared to the Arc.

The Arc also has the standard durability advantages over the Surefire. Surefire's one advantage is that great tactical switch, which to me is more useful than a head-turn switch for just about any application.

Joe

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an E1 with KL1? Some Sure Fire dealers start taking orders now.

Alan

Size15's

Flashaholic
An E1 with KL1 produces just as bright output as the E2 with KL1. The runtime is longer when the KL1 is powered by two SF123As though.

Just how long the regulated runtime is, and how bright it is I can not say. What I can say is that if you carry an E1(e) and use a BeamShaper, the KL1 will produce a far whiter beam that should prove far more useful to you. Infact, those who run MN02 lamp in the E2(e) are also likely to find the KL1 very useful.

The KLx can not match the ~5W bulbs in terms of beam intensity and throw. Most people don't appear to have an E2(e) for it's beam throw, but because it is tiny and very easy to carry on you. The KL1 should make very little difference it your ability to clip it to the inside of your trouser pocket. The KL1 on the E1(e) is likely to make it an easier flashlight to hold and use because the cooling fins would aid gripping it. (I've often found the E1(e) to be too short for my hand, sometimes the switch is difficult to press with my thumb without retaining the Bezel rim against my little finger which blocks out a bit of the beam).
I guess that the KL1 will be the most popular KL Bezel because it offers both E1(e) and E2(e) users a very impressive and useful alternative at a price it appears hard to resist.

I've put my order in for a KL3. I think it's a fantastic style!

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Whether or not to start a thread or ask a question regarding SureFires and LEDs is a difficult business. I am sure we'll have to sort things out for when the A2 is released!

I'll discuss this with our Admin staff and Moderators. I suspect we will decided to put all SureFire LED related threads in the LED products section. Perhaps a Luxeon products section is needed?

I'm moving this to the LED products section. I think it's better there.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.