Arctic Silver or AA alternative

videoman

Enlightened
Any other adhesive like AA or ceramic out there that is way cheaper than the Arctic ones? I need a slow setting one that has a good electrical insulating properties as my use would be to mount drivers to aluminum heatsinks. It is not for flashlight application. I tried Fujik from DX but it does not seem to transfer heat properly even though it is a good insulator. Any ceramic or similar adhesives out there that come in oz. sizes rather than grams ? Is JB weld really electrically non-conductive ?

slavun

Newly Enlightened
Artic Cooling MX-4 and Artic Ceramique are very good choices for electrically non-conductive thermal greases.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
But unfortunately those don't act as an adhesive in this application. Might want to inquire with nailbender or Gene Malkoff about the stuff they use to pot their drivers with.

slavun

Newly Enlightened
It might help you. One of the best thermal compound manufacturer is ShinEtsu. There are some products to see:

KE44-sealing, insulation, non-corrosive, strong adhesion
KE45-UL94HB certification, high adhesion, non-corrosive,
KE347-universal type RTV, low viscosity, moisture, good
KE3497-MIL qualified products, to prevent electrical short-circuit use, good insulation
KE4896-low molecular weight, non-corrosive, general and then with the seal with the UL Safety Certification
KE40RTV-94V-0 certification, strong adhesive, non-corrosive, Display
KE402-94V-0 Electrical Then, insulation, sealing with
KE3490-94V-0 low molecular weight, high temperature resistance, excellent flame resistance of
KE3494-thermal plastic
KE4560-heat type, thermal conductivity of 0.84W / m K
KE3493-high thermal conductivity, thermal conductivity of 1.67W / m K
KE441-KE445 high adhesion, coated, heating pipe sealing
KE3475-no corrosion, for high-demand electronic contact, drape, etc.
KE45TS-mobility, high adhesion, ultra-thin coated, moisture-proof use
KE1204-electronic potting glue, two-component liquid, commonly used electronic potting adhesive, after curing � � elastic rubber body temperature -50 to 200 degrees
G746-thermal compound - Oil-shaped - White - common type, thermal conductivity of 0.92W / m K, resin sealed transistor with
G747-thermal compound - Oil-shaped - White - G746 increased the thermal conductivity, thermal conductivity of 1.09W / m K
KS612-thermal compound - Oil-shaped - White - Heat use, thermal conductivity of 0.63W / m K
KS609-thermal compound - Oil-shaped - White - Common use, thermal conductivity of 0.75W / m K
KF96-silicone oil - liquid - colorless and transparent - general use, apply to electronic, electrical appliances, moisture, insulation
KF99-silicone oil - liquid - colorless and transparent
KR112-silicone - Liquid - colorless and transparent
KR251-silicone - Liquid - colorless and transparent
KR255-silicone - Liquid - colorless and transparent
KE17-mold molding plastic - two-component - off-white - hardness of 50, operating time 30 minutes
KE24-mold molding plastic - two-component - off-white - hardness of 80, operating time 30 minutes
KE112-mold molding plastic - two-component - Gray - hardness of 60, operating time 60 minutes
G30-lubricants - Grease-like - off-white paste - low-temperature lubrication, general use
G40M-lubricants - Grease-like - Beige Oil-like - high-temperature lubrication use, in line with the U.S. MIL-L-15719A standard
G501-lubricants - Grease-like - white - light yellow oil-like - plastic parts, compressor bearing lubrication with marked effect
G330/G332- Lubricants - Grease-like - yellow grease-like - for high-load under the lubrication of machine parts can also be used in low temperature areas

Last edited:

saltytri

Enlightened
Buy some Linde A or Linde B from here:

http://www.myrockhound.com/toolssupplies/polishes.html

Mix it into epoxy to a thick consistency similar to AA. For high priced custom lights, I usually use genuine AA just in case someone asks because buyers deserve to know they are getting the best. Even so, I've never had a bonding or thermal issue with my homebrewed Linde stuff and I've used it many, many times.

mds82

Enlightened
how much are you looking for? Arctic silver sells their OEM solutions, which is A $50 MIN order, but they have ceramic and silver adhesive that has up to a 120 minute working time.

videoman

Enlightened
I am looking for something in ounces instead of grams. Kind of a 3 to 4 oz. tube (like toothpaste size) for under $30 bucks. It must electrically non conductive and also be able to conduct heat well. It must get hard upon curing. This is mainly used to pot a led nickel size driver to an aluminum heatsink. Problem with them drivers is that underneath them have the circuits that CANNOT short out when potted down. I will use the AA for the leds though. I am mass producing units, so I would really need to save on this.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
JBweld is an insulator . . . . UNLESS you're using it to mount magnets !!!!

I tested for good insulation between Nickel-plated magnets and alumium plate after setting them in place. After the JBweld had set I measured about 100 ohms !!!!!

I assume that before the JBweld had set, the metal particles in it had aligned themselves to form conducting whiskers !!!

videoman

Enlightened
Hi Jeff. Units are in the prototyping stage at this moment. Only detail I can get out is that they will be the best on-camera video lights anywhere at any price . Hi lumen/lux, high CRI , 3 color temperature switch, solid aluminum frame, built like a tank, and of course very affordable compared to the junk that is out there. I will send you photos as soon as the evaluating and photometrics are done.

coors

Enlightened
I too can confirm that JB-Weld is not good potting material. Destroyed the drivers of every light that I potted with it, in very short amount of time (hours). I don't know if it was specifically from insulating or conductivity.

I'm also interested in finding out more about these video lights that you're manufacturing, please.

videoman

Enlightened
A little more about the lights you ask ? Perhaps a little off-topic, but so far here is what I have as prototype # 4
Using only 2 leds with a minimum lux rating at 3 ft. of 1700 lux
Max power from battery draw Less than 13W
Dimming function
Choice of Color temperature of 2800K-4000K-5200K ( approx.) at the flick of a switch
Even beam spread of 65 Deg H&V , no hot spots within that beam
DC in from 6 to 18 V

Prototype # 5
Same as above except that instead of temperature choices it will be neutral (3800K -4200K) with a choice ( flick of a switch) of spot 25 degree ( upwards of 8000 lux @ 3 ft.) or flood 65 degree ( 1700 lux @ 3ft.)
Sorry, no photos available until production model (s), photometrics, conformity standards, field evaluation is completed.

They will use the best components available
Thank you for your interest.

videoman

Enlightened
Norman and I are associates. We work together on many projects, we are seasoned photographers and videographers on the verge of retirement and keeping ourselves busy tinkering, experimenting and hopefully making things that are beneficial and affordable to amateur and pro videographers. We both felt the need for a really well made light source that many pros have been asking and waiting for. We felt that offerings from many brand name manufacturers fell short of producing a rugged, powerful and affordable unit. Who better than a videographer to build a light for videographers? We talked to many in the business and listened very carefully to what most desired features were to be implemented to realize a working prototype. We started from scratch about 2 years ago and have done changes as dictated by surveys done. It would not have been possible without CPF and all the help received by members that answered many questions and suggestions offered. The units are near completion as we were eagerly waiting for suppliers to obtain the latest led and components to be readily available. Patience is a virtue.

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
I see. I'm curious about this light as well after hearing about it on another forum. I had a few messages with Norman about it there. I have been tempted to make my own light after being underwhelmed with the current popular LED lights intended for photography and video use. The only one I have seen so far that looks promising is the Arri L7, but for the cost it just seems ridiculous unless purchased by a studio using it day in and day out (for energy savings). I look forward to something similarly useful for a figure my wallet might be able to recover from.

videoman

Enlightened
The L7 is really used for studio lighting under controlled situations.I is a horse of a different color. My units are used for the run and gun type situations that warrants the use of an on-camera light. I totally agree, the Arri is an expensive unit but if one has to make a film with a budget in the 7 figures, well then it is a cheap light (pricewise). Everything is relevant to purpose and affordability. I'm sure they will be up for rental by some rental AV houses.

Latest posts