Are Fenix Flashlights Really That good

T

tom-

Enlightened
I take it only the models made by 'Cop Light' will be permitted ?

couldn't resist:crackup:

S

ScottAnthony

Newly Enlightened
I can tell you with hundreds of experiences (literally) that yes you are lucky. I have never seen a strobe effect a domestic dog, a raccoon, a bear (4 times now with a tn36utvn), deer, coyote. YMMV. I don't want to be convinced I need a strobe, I don't. Im loving the run times though and cant find if the strobe can be bypassed or locked out like in a programmable p60 module or hds. There is no click pattern to get the strobe correct? it is just one of the built in modes? Thanks again.

Hey there BigBurly 👋🏻 ... I completely get where you are coming from, but with regard to strobe effects on canines, I recently had an experience with a less than friendly pooch, and figured I would see if an 800lm strobe to the eyes would deter the mid size terrier. It did. He didn’t seem to care for it much and decided I wasn’t going to be as much fun as he thought as a chew toy (or it was coincidence and he left on his own for some other reason). This is hardly a scientific study on my end, but I figured I would try the strobe over OC spray as a first line of action. Would I attempt it with a bear or angry elk? No. But this dog seemed like a decent test pup to try it on as he wasn’t charging me full speed but still had a healthy trot going. Just thought I would share my experience (although it wasn’t a Fenix). I stumbled on this thread looking for thoughts on the Fenix 35R... I’m missing a decent EDC Tac and ended up here. Cheers 🍻

J

jmclfrsh

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Fenix makes good lights. Well-built, bright and reliable.

I'd have to say I'm a Surefire and Fenix guy, and both companies have their own merits. Surefires are expensive, but great lights and are Made in the USA. At least all of mine were.

I own more Fenix lights, though, having first tried them for their bang for the buck, and all my latest purchases have been higher-end Fenix units like the excellent TK75 2018 Edition. One awesome light!

B

BTH1

Newly Enlightened
Fenix flashlights are good, but I prefer EagleTac.

M

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix sucks all their lights I had stopped working, warranty is a joke, the only Fenix that still works is the E01 and that is only because is Arc AAA ripoff design.
Streamlight I trust way more plus they have outstanding warranty.

S

shane1

Enlightened
I agree. I have a few Fenix lights and 1/2 no longer work. Tried to get them fixed but they are no longer supported. Best I got was a 25% discount. 5% more than what is standard on their website. Going to try Olight.

Fenix sucks all their lights I had stopped working, warranty is a joke, the only Fenix that still works is the E01 and that is only because is Arc AAA ripoff design.
Streamlight I trust way more plus they have outstanding warranty.

Greta

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
How can I search if Greta has a sticky stating that it isn't available-....

If you'd bothered to actually read the posts in the thread... and more specifically THIS POST... you would see search had been restored a month ago. Obviously, you did nothing to even try. The search box is prominent in the upper right of every page in the navigation bar. Did you even try to use it? From your comment here, my guess is you saw the title of a thread in the forum index and didn't even bother to check it out. You didn't bother to do any research or searching yourself. That alone speaks volumes. :ironic:

T

tom-

Enlightened
wow

Hey- did I at least win the contest for naming the new sub forum?-if I did I get to buy myself a new Fenix..

L

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between flashlights and headlamps, I own over 30 Fenix lights. Many of them were and still are used daily.
Over the past 10 years I've had only one Fenix fail and a replacement was arranged through the regional distributor.

easilyled

easilyled

Flashaholic
I stopped buying Fenix lights long ago when they started glueing the head to the body and glueing the window retaining ring at the top of the head.

Their reasons might well have been good .... to prevent the user from messing up the light.

However I prefer to be able to have a look at what's going on and to have the ability to change the window or reflector if necessary and to upgrade the emitter.

It's also hard to tell how good the workmanship is if you can't even open it to look.

G

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much do ya'll think that losing bezel twist mode selection hurt Fenix? I've never tried one of the older models where you could tighten the bezel for turbo and loosen for the lower outputs, but it seems like that type of setup is more more useable and better all around. I've been using an LD11 the past few months and have really come to enjoy it, but being able to choose if you want the light to come on in high or low would be a great upgrade to it.

id30209

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I still have L2D and P3D and all of my Foursevens Quarks have that feature. IMHO this is still the best UI out there. Simple and intinuative.
That’s why i’m happy to buy new Fenox since that era knowing new TK09 and PD40 will have twisty UI

L

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. Have plenty of older Fenix lights (LD10, LD20, PD30, PD31, TK12, TK30) with that UI: in my opinion far better than the more recent 4-level side switch UI!

The PD35 Tac UI allows at least to choose the mode though switching between modes is not as intuitive as twisting the bezel.

I have recently bought a PD32 2016: it's handy to have the that much throw in such as small package and the overall quality is good but UI-wise I still very much prefer to use and carry any of my PD31s most of the time!

Last edited:
C

Climb14er

Enlightened
I've got an 'old' Fenix TK11 that I've beat to death, working in tight spots underneath my 4Runner 4WD V8... in the basement, along with my headlamps, running electrical and copper lines. It resides in my kitchen drawer along with an Olight Triton, always ready for whatever I need it for in the house. Sure, I've got other lights, mostly ZL's in the bedroom and around the house, but one reason or another, I usually choose the Fenix when in the kitchen. Great light, fine design and build and difficult to destroy, even when backing over it in the garage when I left it on the floor, underneath, after lubing the six zerks on the long driveline of the 4Runner.