Are there 1.5v (or 1.7v) rechargeable AA's?

Doug

Enlightened
I have seen mention of Eneloop batteries having 1.5v, but I have yet to see any in real life/online....

I have some 14500 3.7v batteries, but I have a new light coming that will not accept them :O

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is the Zinc rechargable, it maintains a much higher voltage. similar to a lithium primary. but has some issues. its popularity has meant it has not been Developed as well as the more normal stuff.

most boost curcuits do not advantage from anything more than something that HOLDs and maintains its voltage, instead of drooping like an alkaline, so the usual 1.2v nominal eneloop like thing will do that just fine.
the lights that use 3X and NO "control" curcuitry (but mabey some resistance) are depending on alkalines drooping, and ni-mh being at 1.2 and not above. on these when you use lithium 1.6v holding, and zinc rechargables holding 1.6v the light is overdriven and ruined.

and when it comes to keeping out of direct drive or overdriving because of a battery voltage higher than a led voltage, the li-fe-po would be a lot closer to the voltages desired. at least better than the li-ion which is sure to be over voltage. When the driver is not expecting that the voltage would be above the led voltage. which also includes some things that act completly different with the high voltage and CLAIM that they work with it anyway. . .

then of course there is that loose curcuitry that is just 3xing the voltage or something, and varies a lot (less regulated) with the input, and they are about the only thing i find that is improved by a better holding voltage, without being over spec in drive (which can include cooling needs of the led too).

high but not to high.

i dont think i have seen a ni-mh chemistry battery that has a full holding voltage of 1.5v actually existing and doing that in testing, although i think it might be possible if they changed the chemistry, the chemistry itself which seems to Define the voltage potential itself.
But now that you meantined it, I remember Something . . . vapor?

Alkaline rechargables, will hold higher voltages, but not much better than the usual alkaline, but they have even more issues than the Zinc, completly not worth dealing with unless it was some very special application or need.

here is a NiZn link , seems it is not easy to search for on the forum search, but google search worked.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?288934-NiZn-or-Eneloop-in-2aa-flashlight
other search term for zinc Powergenix

Last edited:

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I used to use Grandcell 1.5V rechargeble batteries in remotes etc. They lasted very long in such devices. But I stopped using them when one of them leaked:shakehead

Seems that Eneloops stays the best bet.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you decide to try out the Powergenix NiZn batteries, check to see if you have a Big Lots store near you. They have been selling the batteries & chargers for a real bargain. I got a charger with 4 batteries plus 8 extra batteries for ~16 bucks.

These batteries do need a dedicated charger & I recommend the NiZn Quick Charger. It is the faster of the two chargers they make & has 4 independent charging channels.
Hope this helps.

Eismagier

Newly Enlightened
PowerGenix discontinued their NiZn business, so keep that in mind before buying.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
PowerGenix discontinued their NiZn business, so keep that in mind before buying.

thanks, I can now put that to rest. I never did get any yet, so many people were having various problems with them, now i wont have to make that descision
untill i see them at Big Lots and cant resist the price :) without being able to replace them, it would just be a learning loss.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Project Farm did a vid on these:

Vapcell and Smart Tools brands seemed to perform best in his tests.

I noticed Smart Tools also makes thes batteries in C, D and 9 Volt sizes.