Are there Any lights.that get super hot?

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find a light that doesn't get super hot after about 40 minutes at 1000 to.1200 lumens. Any ideas? I walk after dark and so far all I've tried get real hot after about 15 minutes.
Thank you

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
1000-1200 lumens is a lot of light for walking at night without annoying somebody. Try using a light with a lower setting. Modern pocket sized flashlights are optimized for about 300-600 lumens max. continuous. More output requires more heat to dissipate, which requires more heatsinking (a bigger light) or thermal management (light dims automatically when it gets too hot). If you want the light to stay at that level, you need to carry something larger. You can also get a light that is way brighter and run it at a low setting (so it runs more efficiently with less heat) that is the brightness you want (look into Imalent MS03 flashlight run at 3000 lumens or less).

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to find a light that doesn't get super hot after about 40 minutes at 1000 to.1200 lumens. Any ideas? I walk after dark and so far all I've tried get real hot after about 15 minutes.
Thank you
You might want to try a light with a different beam profile too. Really depends what you are trying to light up while walking.

In reality, the only way to handle heat is mass and surface area. So a big *** light with lots of fins will handle heat a lot better. Allowing more current and higher outputs. What sort of lights have you been using so far?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of heat like exhaust.
It's going to be generated to crank out those horses and it's got to go somewhere.

You'll enjoy your walks much more with a warmer beam that's less bright.

Get a Convoy S2+ from Simon that has a 3000k 519a. Or I'll build you one and get it in the mail today. I just cleaned up and sorted by work bench.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you
Hey can you explain what your scenario is and what you want from your light?

People can get a soda can sized light with a bunch of emitters to put out a lot of light but may not offer longer distance light. If you need to see farther away, total lumens is not the answer, concentrating the light in a smaller area is.

Night walkers will also blast their eyes with reflected bright light, causing their pupils to contract, limiting their night vision. Sometimes less is more, allowing better situational awareness utilizing peripheral vision, not just the fovea.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order for the flashlight not to warm up to 1000 lumens when constantly turned on, as @Hooked on Fenix said, it must have a lot of metal to dissipate heat. This one definitely won't get very hot at 1000 lumens:

Mateminco MT90 Plus

1671302443067.png

But it has its drawbacks - a lot of weight, a very narrow beam.

Most flashlights now have good thermoregulation, you may not even notice how they drop from 1000 lumens to 500-600 while remaining a little warm.
It's better to write us additional wishes - size / weight, type of beam (narrow, wide or medium), light color (closer to incandescent or cooler shade), then it will be easier to pick something up without going to extremes like me with Mateminco MT90

Example Nitecore TM26, there was a graph in the 2013 review, at 1700 lm it worked for a little over an hour and heated up to 85 degrees
1671302843752.png

It doesn't have a 1000lm mode, but it does have a 700lm mode and it will run for about 8 hours and not get very hot

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
unless it is a very large light, or has active cooling, aka fan, it will get hot the way you use it. However there are lights that are not classic round shape, they have handles so while the light may get hot, the handle not so much. but they are not small pocket lights either.
something like this;

s-l640.jpg

theshorelinemarket_2618_432430759.jpg

theshorelinemarket_2618_1101690436.jpg

Last edited:

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
What is the average candela rating of the lights you've tried so far? I'm guessing they're around 13k. There are a few lights out there (like the Olight Warrior X) that'll produce that same candela, looking almost the same to your eyes, but at only 300 lumens so the output will hold steady for a few hours with minimal heat.

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
Hey can you explain what your scenario is and what you want from your light?

People can get a soda can sized light with a bunch of emitters to put out a lot of light but may not offer longer distance light. If you need to see farther away, total lumens is not the answer, concentrating the light in a smaller area is.

Night walkers will also blast their eyes with reflected bright light, causing their pupils to contract, limiting their night vision. Sometimes less is more, allowing better situational awareness utilizing peripheral vision, not just the fovea.
I want to,see.and temporarily disorient.any.wildlife coming towards.me. Long story

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
What is the average candela rating of the lights you've tried so far? I'm guessing they're around 13k. There are a few lights out there (like the Olight Warrior X) that'll produce that same candela, looking almost the same to your eyes, but at only 300 lumens so the output will hold steady for a few hours with minimal heat.
So far have Nitecore MH25, Three Fenix, SD G2 and big.Maglites

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
So far have Nitecore MH25, Three Fenix, SD G2 and big.Maglites

A Warrior X or X Pro might do the trick then. The normal Warrior X has been discontinued but can still be found on eBay. It's my preference because it doesn't require a proprietary battery, just a 15A 18650 (which it does come with). It'll do a steady 300 lumens at 11k candela for 4 hours.

bridgman

Enlightened
I want to,see.and temporarily disorient.any.wildlife coming towards.me. Long story
I would be thinking about a light that normally runs at a few hundred lumens (enough to reliably get the reflection off their eyes but not so bright that you can't shine it around in all directions) that can go to a few thousand lumens with a button push.

Around here for every large animal in front of you there are a dozen stalking you from behind.

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
A Warrior X or X Pro might do the trick then. The normal Warrior X has been discontinued but can still be found on eBay. It's my preference because it doesn't require a proprietary battery, just a 15A 18650 (which it does come with). It'll do a steady 300 lumens at 11k candela for 4 hours.
Thanks.That.light sounds good..is the current one.gokd too?

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.That.light sounds good..is the current one.gokd too?
The current one is great if you're ok with a proprietary battery. It'll maintain the 300 lumens for almost 8 hours.

I even have one I'm selling if you want to PM me for details.

LaGgY_42o

Newly Enlightened
MS18. I walk the dog (100 pound pit that's getting old and fat lol) with the MS18 and around 1000 lumens is the lowest it will go, will last a day or more at that setting if I'm not mistaken and still be cold to the touch. I also find that the cars flying up and down the road at 50mph are no longer a problem, just point it at your feet and bump it up a few notches, they have no issues seeing and navigating around you at a nice, legal speed 😉

Tried the MT90P, it makes a very..... unusual walking light. Gives ya plenty of time to avoid the obstacles it allows you to see about 30 min before reaching them. MS18 is better imo. It does get a little toasty when at full beans. Mine has reached 170 F a couple times.

Last edited:

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
I would be thinking about a light that normally runs at a few hundred lumens (enough to reliably get the reflection off their eyes but not so bright that you can't shine it around in all directions) that can go to a few thousand lumens with a button push.

Around here for every large animal in front of you there are a dozen stalking you from behind.
Sounds like my kind of place. 😊

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZebraLights step down when they get too hot, but generally that only happens on turbo (i.e. I've only seen the 3 min stepdown from turbo, not due to heat, it's automatic to save battery life). 1000-1200Lm, I don't think any of these would get hot enough in 40 mins to step down (but others here will know). Plus, regulated for constant brightness, which is choice.
  • SC600w Mk IV Plus 18650 XHP50.2 Neutral White (2300Lm 4500K 80CRI)
  • SC600Fd Mk IV Plus 18650 XHP50 Floody High CRI (1816 Lm 5000K 93CRI)
  • SC600w Mk IV Plus HI 18650 Flashlight with XHP50.3 HI Neutral White (1700Lm 4500K 90CRI)
  • SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 Neutral White High CRI (3000Lm 5000K 90CRI)
  • SC700Fd 21700 XHP70.2 Floody Neutral White High CRI (2910Lm 5000K 90CRI)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hate to say it, but if you're looking for something small and handheld; there's none out there. The Klarus shown above is likely going to be one of the smallest that doesn't heat up.