Are we nearing the limit of LED technology?

RetroTechie

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the exact opposite of a heat dissipating material! It traps heat (isolates) very very well. And also has a low thermal mass, so it cools quickly.

Fun to watch, would be good for keeping your coffee hot but totally useless to push flashlight tech ahead... :p

2000xlt

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
IDK why i thought if it was pulling heat away from the surface it would pull heat away from the surface produced by the LEd,,But i understand 100% not,,,how foolish of me,,I will now gladly give myself 50 lashes
That's the exact opposite of a heat dissipating material! It traps heat (isolates) very very well. And also has a low thermal mass, so it cools quickly.

Fun to watch, would be good for keeping your coffee hot but totally useless to push flashlight tech ahead... :p

KITROBASKIN

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
IDK why i thought if it was pulling heat away from the surface it would pull heat away from the surface produced by the LEd,,But i understand 100% not,,,how foolish of me,,I will now gladly give myself 50 lashes

It was still quite interesting.

Richwouldnt

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Graphene kicks coppers ***.

:D

So does diamond and most industrial diamond is now man made and diamond coating is even used on some disk drive disks to prevent head landing wear and damage. Diamond has a very high heat conductivity per what I have read. Another possibility that has already been used in the IC industry is so called SOS technology, silicon on sapphire. I suspect that the limit will be dissipating the heat from the heatsink to the air as a limiting factor.

2000xlt

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What needs to occur first improvements in battery or LED technology?

Y

yesfor

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, I don't think so, because as the development of technology, we still have a further way in light filed. Now there are so many kinds of LED lights and various other kinds lights, but, we still pursue more energy saved and environment friendly light to come out. So, I think we could have more space for the light filed.

importculture

importculture

Newly Enlightened
Ha ha! We probably wouldn't need 1000 lumens on a daily basis but it'd be awesome to have. +1, that runtime on 100 lumens would be freaking epic! Besides I'm a flashaholics that's why I'm here and I would totally EDC that light! I remember a post from way back in the day about what would be the holy grail of flashlight output and you guessed it it was 1000lumens in the palm of your hand.

importculture

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a big rechargeable battery kinda person so the advances in rechargeable battery technology is less interesting to me than how much farther led technology has left in its lifetime. I'm also really interested in what other possible technologies exist that could replace LEDs when the time comes. LEDs have been around for a very long time although white led technology has only been around for a few decades. In any case led technology is a fairly old technology that has just recently been thrust into the spotlight with all the Eco mentalism. I'm sure most if not all flashaholics have had an led light long before it was offered in stores. But thankfully with all the attention LEDs are getting there's plenty of funding going into research and development of better LEDs. As led technology itself excluding heat sinking reaches maximum output and efficiency what other technologies either preexisting, currently in development, or in theory are there to take the reigns after LEDs and realistically how much further can LEDs currently go?