Arizona flashaholic get-together

Brlux

Enlightened
How about on top of south mountain. I think the gates close at 7:00 to get up but you can come down whenever you want. We could cook some tube steak (hot dogs) and perhaps a short night hike with some lights?

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can bring a few. If its nice and dark I could do the TM26, SR Mini and it'd I have room in the luggage I'll throw in the Olight X6

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Brlux

Enlightened
On top of the mountain is cool to see the sunset and the lights of the city come on but it is crowded and there is limited parking, thus not an ideal location for a get together. There are some pick nick areas at the base of the mountain with good parking. Perhaps those would be a better location. I think I am going to head out there after work tomorrow and check the area out. Also they close the gates to get in at 7:00pm so you will need to be inside the park before then or you are out of luck. Officially the hiking trails close at 11:00pm but I don't know how aggressively they heard people out after that. It is free to get in unlike a lot of other regional parks around here. It is centrally located and nice to be in the desert yet still not far from the city. I can probably make any evening next week work.

Peace Train

Enlightened
If you're talking about the Ahwatukee side of South Mountain off of Guadalupe, then this is one of the locations that's been discussed. By all means check it out. Otherwise, we're considering south of there, past Chandler Rd, where the end of Pecos Road abuts the Ahwatukee Foothills.

Brlux

Enlightened
We have yet to nail down a day, I vote for Tuesday, anyone else have a problem with Tuesday?

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm good for Tuesday, and any location in the valley I'd be willing to go to. If we get a lot of people from Tucson, I'd be willing to go further as well to make this meet up work.

Brlux

Enlightened
I can make it on Wednesday around 8ish. I'd prefer ahwatukee side.

Could you make it on Tuesday? I have a guest who can only make it on Tuesday?

Do you have a recommendation where to go on the Awatukee side. Preferably somwhere with ramadas and parking not to far away.

Last edited:

Peace Train

Enlightened
I'm heading out right now to take a drive on the 'tukee side, and scout things out...just to make sure it's the way I remembered. Will report when I get back.

Mike9028: Looks like Brlux has a pretty cool guest that could make it on Tuesday if there's any way that will work for you. Let us know.

I can make it work with either day, but I need to know soon.

Roger Sully
: Plan to meet up with us. We'll get things sorted by the time you land!
icon_bounce.gif

Peace Train

Enlightened
Ok, I took a look at some places last night and I'm leaning toward the Pima Canyon Trailhead entrance off of 48th & Guadalupe. There are a couple ramadas and picnic tables (it's not as crowded as the north entrance).

Benefits: Of the three choices, this is the closest option for most of the group. The trails are pretty wide and flat, and it will get darker the quickest here as the sun starts setting behind the west side of the mountain. It's also the closest off the freeway, and will be easy for Roger Sully to rendezvous with us from his Mesa location.

We do need to get there before the gates close at 7 pm, otherwise it's a bit of a walk to the ramadas. The trails close at 11 pm, so no worries there.

Pima Canyon Trailhead Entrance

I went south of there to the Ahwatukee Foothills entrance off of Chandler Blvd and really like it, but it's probably not the best option this time around since it's a bit of a drive once you get off the freeway. Additionally, there are no ramadas or picnic tables (see the turning loop on the aerial view).

Benefits: There's plenty of parking on both sides of the gate, and everything's very close to the road so you don't need to worry about getting there before the gate closes at 7. On the way back to the freeway, I noticed vast stretches of land off the south side of Pecos Rd that would be fun for high-powered throwers. Maybe something to consider for a future and weekend gathering?

Ahwatukee Foothills Entrance

I didn't get to the north entrance last night, but I'm fine with this option if it comes down to it. It's also a bit of a drive considering most of us will be coming from the east Valley during rush hour. As I recall the trails are steeper here and it's another good option, but may also be better on a weekend night when we have time to enjoy the area.

Benefits: It's an awesome place to watch the sunset once you get to the top, and there are lots of ramadas and picnic tables. Brlux may have more to say here.

South Mountain North Entrance

Peace Train

Enlightened
Anyway, let's at least nail down a day and get this one off the ground. We can rotate locations for future meetups. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be good with what ever, but just some thoughts. I don't really care about having a Ramada, I just want the darkest area and away from light pollution. As far as walking the trails, I do enjoy this with my lights, but I'm not going to want to hike up a mountain when it's still 100 degrees outside. Doesn't mean the rest can't do it though haha.

Last edited:

Mike9028

Enlightened
Sounds good. I will try to work something out to be there on Tuesday. And that Pima Canyon Trail is a great place btw. Hoping I can make it before the gate closes would be the only issue for me but if it does I'm sure someone can drive down and pick me up at the gate :)

And no hiking for me. Not in this weather lol

Brlux

Enlightened
I went and checked out the parks today. I will agree the Pima canyon will be a great spot. My main concern is there are only 2 ramadas, so 2 strikes and you are out. I got there Friday at 5:30pm there were about 25 cars in the parking lot but most seemed to be mountain bikers, no one was at either of the ramadas so I think we should be safe Tuesday afternoon. I am going to try to be there around 6:00-6:30pm.

Did we want to do anything food wise or is it to late for dinner? Perhaps just some snacks?

Peace Train

Enlightened
I'm leaving the trail head now, the sun's been down for a bit, and it's almost dark - 7:45 pm. With the breeze, I don't think it's too hot at 100°: ...It's a dry heat, plan accordingly. :devil:

Brlux - I tried leaving you a voicemail earlier, couldn't tell if it went through. Let me know.

Edit: I spoke to a ranger earlier and no fires or barbecues right now. Anything else including snacks are fine. The ramadas have been empty for the past two hours, not an issue.

Last edited:

Brlux

Enlightened
After talking on the Phone to Peace Train lets say no dinnerish food, eat before you get there. They have really strict fire bans in place so no grills can be used. If you feel like it bring some snacks to share. There is no Alcohol unless you get a permit.

So Tuesday evening at Pima Canyon, hope to see you all there.

If you think you are going to be running late and need someone to pick you up at the gate PM me for my phone number.

Latest posts