ArmyTek Barracuda (XM-L2 U3, 2x18650/4xCR123A) Thrower Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is it better to use unprotected batteries with the Barracuda? Just like it is with the Predator.
No, you should always use protected cells in multi-cell lights. There is no advance warning that I am aware of (for when the batteries are over-discharged).

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going of purchase this light. I just cannot decide on cool white or neutral/warm white. My TK41 has a perfectly white cool white, and I'd be happy if the Barracuda was the the same, but you know the tint lottery.

kj2

Flashaholic
My Barracuda is all white. Same as my Predator Pro. AFAIK Armytek does a good job, picking good leds.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
With such a broad input voltage range to accommodate 4xRCRs, wouldn't it be great to have an additional 18650 extender available? It would make the light longer, but no one was pocketing this baby to begin with.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
With such a broad input voltage range to accommodate 4xRCRs, wouldn't it be great to have an additional 18650 extender available? It would make the light longer, but no one was pocketing this baby to begin with.

I agree! Also Predator and Viking could use an extender for use with 2x18650s.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
SB, thanks for the review. I just ordered a Barracuda (the U2 version, I can't find U3 anywhere) from Going Gear, in part based on your review here - primarily the beamshots. This will be my first official "thrower", and I think I will be pleased.

Does anyone have any personal experience with regards to the longevity/durability/reliability of this light? I can't find many long term owners that have posted anything (positive or negative).

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any owners at all that care to chime in with complaints and/or compliments about this light?

kj2

Flashaholic
Any owners at all that care to chime in with complaints and/or compliments about this light?
I've nothing to complain on this light. Quality feeling, thick body, very nice reflector finish and throw like hell :D
UI is simple, although, sometimes I've to check a few times how the UI was/is. But am not using this light daily/weekly, so that causes that problem ;)
Beam is nothing but white :)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've nothing to complain on this light. Quality feeling, thick body, very nice reflector finish and throw like hell :D
UI is simple, although, sometimes I've to check a few times how the UI was/is. But am not using this light daily/weekly, so that causes that problem ;)
Beam is nothing but white :)

Excellent, thanks! I also did some deeper diving into the search results here on CPF with keyword "barracuda", and while I didn't see much more than just positive comments from reviewers and owners at the time of purchase, I guess that's a good thing. I would assume that if this light had underlying, long term issues, we would've seen them surface by now.

Looking forward to getting it - Going Gear has them on backorder so I'm just waiting for them to ship!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
SB, thanks for the review. I just ordered a Barracuda (the U2 version, I can't find U3 anywhere) from Going Gear, in part based on your review here - primarily the beamshots. This will be my first official "thrower", and I think I will be pleased.

Does anyone have any personal experience with regards to the longevity/durability/reliability of this light? I can't find many long term owners that have posted anything (positive or negative).

Excellent, thanks! I also did some deeper diving into the search results here on CPF with keyword "barracuda", and while I didn't see much more than just positive comments from reviewers and owners at the time of purchase, I guess that's a good thing. I would assume that if this light had underlying, long term issues, we would've seen them surface by now.

Looking forward to getting it - Going Gear has them on backorder so I'm just waiting for them to ship!

Did you order cool or white tint? I Really like my Barracuda warm and the quality is excellent. Even if it will be outthrowed by Thrunite TN32 neutral the tint of the warm Barracuda is superior, really awesome.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you order cool or white tint? I Really like my Barracuda warm and the quality is excellent. Even if it will be outthrowed by Thrunite TN32 neutral the tint of the warm Barracuda is superior, really awesome.

I ordered the cool tint version (U2, I believe). I figured hey, if I want something that is balls out bright, why not get the brightest one they make? :devil:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the cool tint version (U2, I believe). I figured hey, if I want something that is balls out bright, why not get the brightest one they make? :devil:

Even if I prefer neutral/warm tint it's no doubt I had been satisfisfied with the cool tint. The spill is very narrow, the narrowest of all lights I have tried. And that is good for a thrower in my opinion. Especially with a very bright spill, which otherwise will blind at the foreground. Barracuda is a pure thrower and for shining up a large area there are other lights. I am looking forward to know your opinion of it!

Ninox_

Newly Enlightened
Barracuda 50m water resistant? Diving?

Given that this light is specified as water resistant to 50 metres, I was wondering if anyone had tried using it as a dive light?
The beam profile would be quite suitable and the runtimes are certainly adequate for many diving applications.

Any thoughts?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Barracuda 50m water resistant? Diving?

Given that this light is specified as water resistant to 50 metres, I was wondering if anyone had tried using it as a dive light?
The beam profile would be quite suitable and the runtimes are certainly adequate for many diving applications.
Hmmm, 50m seems unusually high for a light that is not specifically dive-rated in any of its promotional material. I'm wondering if that is not an error on the spec chart online, since there is no mention of it on the product description.

As usual, the descriptions of this light claim IPX8 (or IP68) with no mention of depth or duration for water immersion (both of which are required by the standard to be specified by the manufacturer). As such, I would normally not assume anything greater than the IPX7 standard of 1m and 30 mins immersion (although ANSI FL-1 "submersible", which is based on IPX8, requires 4 hours immersion at the manufacturer specified depth). Since the "50m" number only shows up on the spec chart online, I would check with ArmyTek for confirmation.

All that said, I expect the Barracuda would do better than most underwater, given its thick build. But - and this is the big BUT - the IPX8 standard doesn't require the light to used in those tests. In fact, the more stringent ANSI FL-1 waterproof and submersible standards specify the light is off in all such testing. So even if IPX8 to 50m were true (which I doubt), all that means is that the inactivated light could survive the pressure - not that it can actually be used. Clickly switches and head twists are notorious for causing waterproof failures.

Ninox_

Newly Enlightened

I decided to ask ArmyTek about the diving capability of their lights that they rate to 50m (which is all of their tactical and search and rescue range).
Sandra has just replied to me and hopefully doesn't mind me reproducing it here:
"All our tactical flashlights can be used 50 meters underwater. As for diving, we recommend to purchase Armytek Barracuda.
It can be used 50 underwater 2 hours roughly.
As for salt water, Armytek Barracuda withstand salt water well.

As for this distance, you can use this light in the following way: to turn it on on the surface and only then use it at the depth 50 meters.
Due to the pressure you can not operate this light at such depth."

I guess the switch becomes inoperable with pressure which would be a good reason not to advertise it as a dive light.
icon15.gif
Many divers only use their lights in this way in any case.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I decided to ask ArmyTek about the diving capability of their lights that they rate to 50m (which is all of their tactical and search and rescue range).
Sandra has just replied to me and hopefully doesn't mind me reproducing it here:
"All our tactical flashlights can be used 50 meters underwater. As for diving, we recommend to purchase Armytek Barracuda.
It can be used 50 underwater 2 hours roughly.
As for salt water, Armytek Barracuda withstand salt water well.

As for this distance, you can use this light in the following way: to turn it on on the surface and only then use it at the depth 50 meters.
Due to the pressure you can not operate this light at such depth."

I guess the switch becomes inoperable with pressure which would be a good reason not to advertise it as a dive light.
icon15.gif
Many divers only use their lights in this way in any case.

Yeah, its a turn it on and then roll back into the water with it sort of light.

At least they didn't say its a dive light good for 50 meters as long as its left OFF.

:D

Latest posts