ArmyTek Predator 2.5 (XP-G2 R5 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Regular and Pro Review: RUNTIME+

recDNA

If I use protected AW li ion 18660 flat top at what voltage does it cut itself off by protection?

mellowhead

Sorry, I don't have any AW cells to check that. Maybe try asking over on the AW sales thread in CPFMP. I'd say it's likely to be 2.7 or 2.8 as well. AW uses Panasonic cells for their 3100's and 3400's.

alltoclear

Hi all, i am wondering what is the real different between the predator pro and the non pro version besides the driver in it. From what i read it seem that the pro has constant brightness and the non pro a step brightness driver. How is the different in real world? In term of max output, both is suppose to be the same at 670lm right? Should i save the usd 20 different from the non pro for something else?? Thanks

mellowhead

If you're just looking for max throw and brightness, then save yourself the $20 and just buy the regular model. For me, I like having the advanced driver of the pro, as it has some really beneficial features - should you need them. They include:
- Firefly mode (great for rooting through a backpack or reading a map in the pitch black)
- Separate backup circuit for firefly mode
- Programmable for battery types, output levels, regulation type, last mode memory, flashy disco modes...
- Battery voltage measurement indication
- Low battery indication

If you're the type to fiddle with settings and if you like a light to be set up "just so", then the Pro is totally worth the extra $20.

recDNA

I am actually considering offering a trade of my pro for the regular. I really like the flashlight and usually I don't mind twisty ui but it is a little difficult to twist such a big head and it is stiffer than eagletac to twist.

If I understand correctly the ui of predator it is push button vs twisty.

I find programming too difficult and have no need for candlelight mode from such a big light. I tried the voltage check and it said my freshly charged aw 18650 was 3.6 volts. I know it was 4.1

No offers please. If I decide to offer a trade it will be at cpfmp.

On the good side my nitecore filter arrived today. It not only makes the pro more usefull indoors but makes a nice lens cover to protect the lens in my coat pocket.

I just hope the next version is somehow made with a lighter material. I don't need a light to gun mount so I don't need a light to be so heavy. Feels like it is built to hammer nails.

Last edited:

s013202

I am actually considering offering a trade of my pro for the regular. I really like the flashlight and usually I don't mind twisty ui but it is a little difficult to twist such a big head and it is stiffer than eagletac to twist.

If I understand correctly the ui of predator it is push button vs twisty.

I find programming too difficult and have no need for candlelight mode from such a big light. I tried the voltage check and it said my freshly charged aw 18650 was 3.6 volts. I know it was 4.1
I agree with you.So,I sold recently my predator pro& bought a regular viking (warm).
Because I think viking regular with warm tint is much suitable for me.
I think the UI with button push of regular one can be improved much beter,like the UI of sunwayman S10A.

Last edited:

alltoclear

Does this light have a turbo stepdown? Have anyone run into thermal protection that activate to reduce the light temperature?

mellowhead

Does this light have a turbo stepdown? Have anyone run into thermal protection that activate to reduce the light temperature?

The manufacturer definitely specifies that there is thermal protection. From ArmyTek's website: "The S-Tek™ driver, due to a built-in sensor, constantly monitors the temperature of LED and the electronic circuit and will prevent the LED overheating in extreme environments."

That being said, it doesn't look like Selfbuilt ran into any thermal stepdown during his runtime tests - judging by the graphs in post #1.

selfbuilt

That being said, it doesn't look like Selfbuilt ran into any thermal stepdown during his runtime tests - judging by the graphs in post #1.
That's right, I didn't - but then, all my runtimes are done under a cooling fan. Under "extreme" conditions, there may very well be thermal safety features that kick. A number of lights in this class are likely to have this.

C.M.S

I don't see a lot of talk about this particular flashlight here , is it considered a top contender in it's class ?

selfbuilt

I don't see a lot of talk about this particular flashlight here , is it considered a top contender in it's class ?
That may be because this review is ~1.5 years old. But it is still quite competitive, given by the 6 pages of feedback on this review. :whistle:

thedoc007

Supporter

Depending on what criteria you are considering, yes, it is definitely a top contender.

Still unmatched for throw (in the 40mm class) as far as I know, and certainly one of the toughest 1x18650 lights out there for any price. Also has excellent anodizing, and personally I love the look.

Most of the discussion tends to be early on, when a light is released for the first time, or when problems occur. It is an older design, and given the build quality, I doubt there have been many failures. Hence the quiet thread.

TEEJ

The XP-L would be like the XML2 in performance, as the LED is the same size and output as far as the emitter goes, its just on a smaller die.

:D

C.M.S

Was the test done with the warm version ? Beam looks a bit warmer compared to the other two lights on the first page beam comparisons .

thedoc007

Supporter
Was the test done with the warm version ? Beam looks a bit warmer compared to the other two lights on the first page beam comparisons .

No, if you read the specs, both emitters were cool white. XP-G2 and XM-L/XM-L2 have different tints, though, so that may explain the perceived difference. Honestly I think they look fundamentally similar anyway...if it was a warm white version, the tint difference would be MUCH more obvious.

thedoc007

Supporter
Took my Predator skiing today. Chucked it as far as I could downhill quite a number of times...but the ski patrol killed my fun before I took any pics. Ran over it with my skis once...did scratch the anodizing a bit. Other than that, looks like new, and certainly its performance did not suffer AT ALL. I love being confident enough to abuse it, and know that it will keep working.

DSC00138.JPG

This is all that happened when I ran it over with my ski...175 pounds or so resting on a hardened steel edge. Works for me! Now I can say that it has character :cool:.