ArmyTek Predator G2 V2.0 and Predator X V2.0 dual Review

IronMac

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing they'll wait for dealers to be sold out of the old version before updating the website?

I can't really think of a reason why Armytek would not have the latest version on their site. Unless, they and HK order from a manufacturer and HK managed to get favorable treatment and even then HK only managed to get the crenellated versions.

marcham

Newly Enlightened
If they advertised a new version of the light and dealers still have lots of old stock then dealers would be forced to sell the old model at a discount. If they wait until very little stock remains on the shelf, they keep their dealers happy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cloudbuster

Newly Enlightened
anyone know why they have different spec?
For the XP-G2 R5
on armytek: 670 lm 1h 20min, 540 lm 1h 55min, 108 lm 14h 20min, 6 lm 155h
on HKE: 670 lm 1h 50min, 390 lm 3h, 111lm-13h10min, 73 lm 20h, 6 lm 150h

what page have the real spec so for future checks I will now where to look.

also which one would be a better companion for the zebralight SC600w? predator XP-G2 R5 or XM-L2 U2

Thanks.

RobCob

Newly Enlightened
If I were you I would go wit the XP-G2. The Zebralight is super floody so between the SC600 and the XP-G2 you would be able to cover all your lighting needs, both flood for close and throw for distance.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
I was wondering if this light might be the ticket for my needs (especially with the incredible customizability of the UI), but upon further reading, I have a couple of questions. Is the ONLY method of mode switching via the head twist?

If I had the light on in one of the lower modes and wanted to go straight to Turbo/Max or tactical strobe, can this be done one-handed?

Max

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if this light might be the ticket for my needs (especially with the incredible customizability of the UI), but upon further reading, I have a couple of questions. Is the ONLY method of mode switching via the head twist?

If I had the light on in one of the lower modes and wanted to go straight to Turbo/Max or tactical strobe, can this be done one-handed?

Max

One of the Predator's strong points is that in any particular setting it it a straight forward single mode light with momentary on. There will be no accidental mode changing when you most need reliability.

In a truly tactical light you don't want the possibility of it changing modes on you.

Consider the Predator a highly customisable, pre-set tactical light.

So, no, it is not possible to change mode on the Predator without twisting the head.

sdr

Newly Enlightened
As far as Armytek having the latest version. I can't speak about the XM-L version but I don't think you can get any fresher than this...

Observe date in lower left hand corner of label. This little guy will join forces with my Zebralight SC600 Mk I.

The Predator just arrived this morning, so I could not be happier to find this MOST EXCELLENT review by Subwoofer. I thank you, sir! I'm sure that I will be referencing this thread quite often. My initial impressions of this light are thus-far all favorable. After using the SC600 as my primary EDC light for the last year and a half I'm sure that it will take a bit to get use to the tactical tail switch of the Predator.

Thanks again and cheers, my friend!

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
read this review, and viewed some YouTube videos. Think the XP-G2 version will be my first 2013 light :D

Yesterday we received the Armytek PredatorX with the XP-G2 and the Armytek VikingX with the XM-L U2.
There was time to run some test on these light, and we are very impressed buy the build quality.
The overall feel is not that of cold metal, but the anodizing feels more like hard rubber, warm with a good grip.

The XP-G2 with 540lm and the XM-L U2 with 650lm give us a good way to see both beams together and discus the pro's and con's for our use.
First feel is that the XM-L U2 puts out a "ton" of light with a big hotspot and an nice wide spill. Very useful for searching a wider area over a reasonable range.
The XP-G2 impressed us greatly with the throw capability. Nice small hotspot with little spill.
Perfect for using a Strobe, disorienting an opponent, without putting the hole place in full daylight.
Promising light for our LEO's.

Simple to use, both identical momentary on the back and 2 mode lines accessible by turning the head 1/8 turn.
I won't go into detail of accessing the advanced settings, SUBWOOFER did a great job there.

What we are very happy about, is that the Strobe frequency in these lights CAN be changed. We raised it from 15Hz standard to around the 18Hz mark.
Once You get the hang of it, advanced settings are pretty straight forward and simple.
Head turned left is set on 540lm high mode, but can be changed to almost any lm output we like. Head turned 1/8 clockwise, and it always starts in 18Hz strobe.
Just the way we need it to.
This Predator with an XP-G2 emitter is one of the best throwers we have ever tested in this size.

We will have night shift on Sunday evening, and will try to make some video's and photo's from it on the 50 yard shooting range

thanks for the excellent review Subwoofer

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What we are very happy about, is that the Strobe frequency in these lights CAN be changed. We raised it from 15Hz standard to around the 18Hz mark.
Once You get the hang of it, advanced settings are pretty straight forward and simple.

Thanks to your very interesting strobe thread, I have set my Predator V2.0 XP-G2's strobe to 20Hz and posted to say as much in your thread.

It did require the use of my integrating sphere and an oscilloscope (with markers set to indicate I had reached the desired frequency), and also needed a few goes as the strobe frequency ramps up quite quickly.

Once programmed, the Predator is very simple to use and pre-set the mode you want.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Thanks to your very interesting strobe thread, I have set my Predator V2.0 XP-G2's strobe to 20Hz and posted to say as much in your thread.

It did require the use of my integrating sphere and an oscilloscope (with markers set to indicate I had reached the desired frequency), and also needed a few goes as the strobe frequency ramps up quite quickly.

Once programmed, the Predator is very simple to use and pre-set the mode you want.

We tried to mach it with the 20Hz strobe lights we have, but we stopped fraction short of the mark. So we estimate it between 18 and 20.
We wanted to test these Armytek lights after reading your review. So far it's living up the expectations.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Yesterday we received the Armytek PredatorX with the XP-G2 and the Armytek VikingX with the XM-L U2.
There was time to run some test on these light, and we are very impressed buy the build quality.
The overall feel is not that of cold metal, but the anodizing feels more like hard rubber, warm with a good grip.

The XP-G2 with 540lm and the XM-L U2 with 650lm give us a good way to see both beams together and discus the pro's and con's for our use.
First feel is that the XM-L U2 puts out a "ton" of light with a big hotspot and an nice wide spill. Very useful for searching a wider area over a reasonable range.
The XP-G2 impressed us greatly with the throw capability. Nice small hotspot with little spill.
Perfect for using a Strobe, disorienting an opponent, without putting the hole place in full daylight.
Promising light for our LEO's.

Simple to use, both identical momentary on the back and 2 mode lines accessible by turning the head 1/8 turn.
I won't go into detail of accessing the advanced settings, SUBWOOFER did a great job there.

Head turned left is set on 540lm high mode, but can be changed to almost any lm output we like. Head turned 1/8 clockwise, and it always starts in 18Hz strobe.
Just the way we need it to.
This Predator with an XP-G2 emitter is one of the best throwers we have ever tested in this size.

We will have night shift on Sunday evening, and will try to make some video's and photo's from it on the 50 yard shooting range

thanks for the excellent review Subwoofer
How do you find the size of the hotspot and spill of the XP-G2 when up close (2-4m)? I thought the hotspot was pretty tight requiring more precision to hit someone in the eyes with the strobe's full intensity. That and the narrow spill seemed to only light up the upper torso at close ranges, sometimes not reaching a person's hands. I agree about the throw though. Excellent throw from a 1x18650 light.

From your descriptions, it appears that you prefer the XP-G2 to the XM-L?

The thing I found odd about the XM-L vs the XP-G2 is that the spillbeam is the same.
The XP-G2 has a 5-degree hotspot and 40-degree spillbeam
The XM-L has a 10-degree hotspot and the same 40-degree spillbeam

The X has a much bigger hotspot twice the diameter of the XP-G2, but the same narrow spillbeam. From ~10 feet (3 meters), the XP-G2 hotspot is ~10.4" and the XM-L hotspot is about 21"

Max

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Seeing now on the ArmyTek website, they have a new Predator Pro v2.5 (670 led lumens) version.
The Predator v2 version is discontinued.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing now on the ArmyTek website, they have a new Predator Pro v2.5 (670 led lumens) version.
The Predator v2 version is discontinued.

A smart move by Armytek.

A basic model with a fixed set of modes (but still the same casing, LED, reflector) and the Professional version which is the fully featured programmable version. If anyone were put off by the programming (even though the default modes are perfectly usable) then they can choose the cheaper basic model and not have to worry about it.

Personally I still love the flexibility of the fully programmable Predators, but can see the benefits of offering this choice.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Do you think this is one of the best lights you've ever owned? I'm trying to convince myself I don't need one. Unless its truly amazing, I can hold off.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Subwoofer for the great review! :thumbsup:

Today I received an ArmyTek Predator XP-G2 warm light. This is my very first experience of ArmyTek and I will share my impression. First of all: the non-slip surface is great. Not very much need of knurling here, why don't all flashlight have this?
Very nice to hold. Then I look into the reflector. It's very noticable that it's a deep reflector. And very polished. The whole light just feels reliable and as a quality instrument. After a short reading of the manual I try the light out. The tint is warm and nice. And the spill is the narrowest of all my flashlights, even narrower than Solarforce M3 head which until now was the narrowest. Actually I like it; this is good for a tactical light intended for great distance spotting. Instead of spreading light long way to the sides it results in a brighter spill. This also contributes to making this light not so uncomfortable at short distances, which is typhical for throwers because of the huge difference in lux intensity between hotspot and spill.

I did some lux comparisons by holding the Predator together with other lights at same distance(~2m). The compared lights was Fenix TK15S2, Fenix TK50, Solarforce M3 head(attached on a Surefire 9P with extender and 2x18650) and Nitecore MT40, also Fenix TK20. I didn't determine lux value at a specific distance, but just wanted to read the percentual differences compared to these lights.

When I compared all these lights I got the result that Fenix TK50 still provides the highest lux value in my collection. It's still the king of throw, especially related to the total output. But not with a huge margin. Predator warm provides very similar throw as Nitecore MT40, but slightly outthrows Solarforce M3 head. Predator warm has more than twice the hotspot lux than Fenix TK15S2. At the 190lm level(same OTF output as Fenix TK20) the hotspot lux was around 50% higher. Consequently more than 5 times the lux at the highest output.

That could be surprising that Fenix TK50 outthrows these lights when the stated lux at 1m is 31261. As well MT40 and Predator are procilamed to have at least the same or higher. My experience is that the specs for some Fenix models are underrated, however. For example Fenix E40 has 17500lux according to the specs. But there is no doubt that my Fenix E40 has 20000+ lux(earlier measured 4times of TK20). It's pretty much between TK50 and TK15S2(stated 15900lux).

The conclusion is that ArmyTek Predator XP-G2 warm is a SUPREME thrower for it's size. And the tint is beautiful, pretty similar to former Malkoff M61W(and Neutral of the newer versions sold by Oveready). Actually the beam is nice and pretty artifact free despite the smooth reflector.

One thing which dissapointed me regarding Fenix TK15S2 is that the 400lm level does not work very well with 18650. It soon starts to slowly drop. I prefer a flat output as long as possible and then instant drop to the level below.
ArmyTek Predator is claimed to have flat output until the battery is almost dead. I did a ceiling bounce comparison between Fenix TK15S2 and Armytek Predator: 2 fresh CR123/used 18650. While the both lights had full output with the CR123s(Predator warm is ~20% brighter) the TK15S2 had 80% of initial output with the 18650. Then I placed the same 18650 in the Predator: FULL OUTPUT! (~50% brighter than TK15S2 at that moment) I like that!

Conclusion: this is my first but not the last purchase of an ArmyTek. Great performance for the price. Likely I will order another within a few weeks. Propably a Barracuda XM-L2 warm! :)

A note: The package didn't include any description of how to make use of all the programmable functions, only a quick guide. But that's enough for me, I want it simple and am so satisfied with the default modes; first line: of 6, 190 and 670m.
To be honest: when I read your Photobucket pictures of the advanced settings it's just too much...

Last edited:

op4llc

Newly Enlightened
does anyone know if it would be possible to swap a olsen [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SFH 4715S led into this unit? im new to this so excuse me if there is something obviously wrong with this idea. if so explain to me what would be required or why it would not work...[/FONT]