Armytek Predator - What Battery Do You Use?

RC620

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Armytek Predator Pro v2.5, and didn't realize a battery/charger wasn't included. My fault, as I didn't look at the box contents when I ordered it.

So, while looking for a batter and a charger, I found that there's a dizzying array of options. If it ain't AA or D cell, I'm lost...:eek:

I've pretty much decided on a Nitecore D2 charger based on some research because this is the only device I'll have that powered by Lithium Ion, but I'm concerned with reading about the sizes of protected vs. non-protected batteries, fitment issues, etc., not to mention the various "mah" variants...

So the question is, what the heck do I use in this light? :)

I'm excited to get it out on the water at night to see how it performs versus my halogen spot when looking for markers/buoys....

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I just received my Armytek Predator Pro v2.5, and didn't realize a battery/charger wasn't included. My fault, as I didn't look at the box contents when I ordered it.

So, while looking for a batter and a charger, I found that there's a dizzying array of options. If it ain't AA or D cell, I'm lost...:eek:

I've pretty much decided on a Nitecore D2 charger based on some research because this is the only device I'll have that powered by Lithium Ion, but I'm concerned with reading about the sizes of protected vs. non-protected batteries, fitment issues, etc., not to mention the various "mah" variants...

So the question is, what the heck do I use in this light? :)

I'm excited to get it out on the water at night to see how it performs versus my halogen spot when looking for markers/buoys....

You can use any protected or unprotected lithium-ion 18650 batteries. There are many good brands out there such as Eagletac, Nitecore, Keeppower, Obtronic, AW, just to name a few. The "mah" variants indicate the performance and how long the battery can be used before you need to charge it again. For example, a 3400mah battery will last longer than a 2600mah battery, if you use it often. Good chargers that I can recommend are from the Xtar line. I use the Xtar VP2 myself, so you might want to take a look at that. Enjoy your light :)

Avoid any battery or charger that have the "Fire" name at the end, so for example, Trustfire, Ultrafire, and so on. These are not reliable and have been shown to be dangerous. So, invest some money into buying quality battery and chargers.

Amelia

Enlightened
In the Predator Pro, pretty much any 18650 will work fine. I've got a salvaged laptop battery pack cell in mine right now, but if I hit the trail with it I'll put a Panasonic NCR18650B (3400mAH) in it for increased runtime. The Predator Pro has built-in under discharge protection, so you don't need to buy more expensive "protected" cells for this flashlight, unless you want to use the same batteries in another light without under-discharge protection built in.

If I was buying new batteries for the Predator Pro and didn't plan on using the same cells in other lights, I'd go on Amazon.com and search for NCR18650B and buy the cheapest flat-top unprotected Panasonic cells that come up in the search. Should run you under $10 per battery, and they're the best cells you'll find for this light.

P.S. the Xtar VP2 is an awesome charger. If you want to spend more and also do runtime (mAH) analysis, look at the Opus BT-C3400, Rev. 2.1 or 2.2. These 2 are the best inexpensive LiIon chargers on the market, in my opinion and experience.

Last edited:

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
You can use unprotected 18650s in the predator, but these are less ideal for other 18650 lights. As far as brand of 18650, I have a Predator and some Keeppower 3400mAh batts ( Keeppower is usually best value for money for protected 18650s), but some fit and some don't (to thick). The Eagletac 18650s are good value and fit almost any light (though I don't like the thinness of their wrappers).

As far as chargers are conserned, Xtar is the best. Avoid the WP2 II (not bad but not their best). If you want to go cheap, try the WP2h/SP1/SP2 (I got the SP1, single bay, but great as a USB powerbank). If you want to spend a bit more go for the VP2.

desmobob

Enlightened
...I'll put a Panasonic NCR18650B (3400mAH) in it for increased runtime. The Predator Pro has built-in under discharge protection, so you don't need to buy more expensive "protected" cells for this flashlight, unless you want to use the same batteries in another light without under-discharge protection built in.

+1

Take it easy,
Bob

RC620

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone...So, is the Nitecore D2 charger not something to consider?

ven

Flashaholic
D2 is a fine charger,just not the quickest out there. If only a single bay charger required the star sp1 is great. Even supports 34.35v if come the time. More importantly it has 0.5/1a/2a charge rates(latter more ideal for 26650 cells or the odd quick charge of an imr or inr chemistry . If pennies can stretch a bit further the vp1 and vp2 are great with their voltage read outs......very handy to have and two bays.

I use from protected samsung to Panasonic ,usually a minimum of 3000mah for run times. I have found less or no rattle with protected cells due to the extra few mm length. But either are fine,protected or "naked" as Chris puts it.:)

chuckhov

Enlightened
I have the Nitecore D4 and I like it a lot - Charging 4x18650 as we speak:)

Buy a 4 slot charger, unless you don't plan on getting any more lights.

Thanks,
-Chuck

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't cheap out on the charger...........suggest something like the XTAR VP2. I have found bad comments on the sub $20 chargers. Also I do not suggest the all in one type of chargers that do both NiMH and lithium ion.

You can get 2 NCR18650B batteries plus plastic carrying case for around $16.

Don't regret now that you have been surprised with the fact that you still have to invest more money in addition to your new light. For me 18650 lights are my favorite over multi AA battery lights.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
Don't cheap out on the charger...........suggest something like the XTAR VP2. I have found bad comments on the sub $20 chargers. Also I do not suggest the all in one type of chargers that do both NiMH and lithium ion.

You can get 2 NCR18650B batteries plus plastic carrying case for around $16.

Don't regret now that you have been surprised with the fact that you still have to invest more money in addition to your new light. For me 18650 lights are my favorite over multi AA battery lights.

Agreed!
I only use lights with AA batteries and 18650, and the 18650 lights are my favorites by FAR!!! :)
In fact, if it weren't for my D25A (Ti N219), ZL SC52w. and SWM D40A, I could probably do without AA lights entirely and just go 18650 all the way. Those 3 lights are so great though...

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Sorry to bring back an old thread guys as I didn't want to make a new thread out of an old light I've had.

I was just wondering if I can use those brown unprotected LG IMR18650 batteries in my Predator v2 or any other 18650 lights? It's a 3000mah 3.7v 18650.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I am running a new unprotected GA cell and it runs fantastic in my LNIB V2.5
Sorry, it's been awhile since I last went over to cpf. Is GA a brand?

Is it safe to use unprotected imr 18650s in our lights?

Reason I ask is I recently converted to vaping and I've accumulated a bunch of these LG IMR 18650 batteries...

Drift Monkey

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, it's been awhile since I last went over to cpf. Is GA a brand?

Is it safe to use unprotected imr 18650s in our lights?

Reason I ask is I recently converted to vaping and I've accumulated a bunch of these LG IMR 18650 batteries...

NCR18650GA - the best battery currently available for the average flashlight user. The LG MJ1 is also pretty good, but the GAs are cheaper at the moment anyway.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
NCR18650GA - the best battery currently available for the average flashlight user. The LG MJ1 is also pretty good, but the GAs are cheaper at the moment anyway.
I see, okay thanks drift! I read though that the LG MJ1 can give off 10amps. The ones I have give off 20-30amps. Is that safe or safer than my protected AW 18650?

Here are the specs O gathered off the web:

High Drain- 20A constant current, 35A pulse current load.
Model: LG 18650 HG2
Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
Full charge Voltage: 4.2V
Operating Temperature (cell surface): Charge 0 ~ 50℃ , Discharge -20 ~ 75℃
Diameter : 18.3 + 0.2/-0.3 mm ( Max. 18.5 mm )
Height : 65.0 ± 0.2 mm ( Max. 65.2 mm )
Weight Max. 48.0 g
Positive terminal: Flat top

8d145096387a929af5ae151db6884415.jpg

a2d4d23b97c439630cf664e8e04b9c09.jpg

Drift Monkey

Newly Enlightened
I see, okay thanks drift! I read though that the LG MJ1 can give off 10amps. The ones I have give off 20-30amps. Is that safe or safer than my protected AW 18650?

Here are the specs O gathered off the web:

High Drain- 20A constant current, 35A pulse current load.
Model: LG 18650 HG2
Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
Full charge Voltage: 4.2V
Operating Temperature (cell surface): Charge 0 ~ 50℃ , Discharge -20 ~ 75℃
Diameter : 18.3 + 0.2/-0.3 mm ( Max. 18.5 mm )
Height : 65.0 ± 0.2 mm ( Max. 65.2 mm )
Weight Max. 48.0 g
Positive terminal: Flat top

8d145096387a929af5ae151db6884415.jpg

a2d4d23b97c439630cf664e8e04b9c09.jpg

Equally as safe since your Predator won't get anywhere near 20A or even 10A (or even 5A really)...the GA cells just give you more runtime with the higher mah.

No worries, use those HG2s with confidence.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Equally as safe since your Predator won't get anywhere near 20A or even 10A (or even 5A really)...the GA cells just give you more runtime with the higher mah.

No worries, use those HG2s with confidence.
Thanks again, Drift! Appreciate your help! [emoji4]