Armytek Prime C2 first impressions

CodyCash

Newly Enlightened
Just received the new Armytek Prime C2. Build quality is fabulous, very compact and sleek. Comes with clip and O rings and sheath but it did not come with an operation manual so Im flying solo figuring it out (discovered Armytek had the download available later). Emitter is the XM-L2 U2 "White Light". Runs on 1x18650 or 2x123's. Reads "Brightest for City" on the side of the unit lol. Fooling around with it I've discovered 6 modes total, 2 lines of operation, modes operate as follows. From off: single press to turn on, hold to cycle through modes low-med-high. From off, hold down for firefly 1-2, continue holding to cycle all 6 modes, release to choose mode. For turbo or max double click button while in the on position from any setting.

Armytek specifies output and runtimes as follows:
firefly #1 .2LM 100days
firefly #2 2LM 18days
low 35LM 48hrs
med 200LM 9hr
high 420LM 4.8hrs
Turbo 1050LM 1.5hrs

The beam pattern is floody with a polished reflector and shallow emitter depth. The light is almost the same size as the Wizard and I can see that the design is basically a slightly elongated Wizard with a forward bezel instead of an angled unit. No special modes but the pro version does offer them and adds a magnetic tail cap and battery level indicator within the mode button. The clip is really tight and not the best fit but once its on it holds very tight. I will continue using it and relay any updates. Sorry for the lack of pics but im not sure how to load them if I can't upload from my phones gallery. Im a newby lol

A blizzard just moved in to my part of NM, and temps are dropping fast. Im going to take the three Armytek lights I received and leave them outside on my uncovered porch for the night and check them in the morning. I'll leave them all on their lowest setting. Temps should reach down around the lowest recommended operating temp of -25c.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orangie

Newly Enlightened
Sounds great! Have been watching for those. Too bad about the pics eh.
Cheers.;)

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Thanks for posting this.
I have been looking at this light and will probably get it or some other size of it.

In the specs Armytek says that the max 1050 lumens is OTF.
It also says that it has TIR optics - does your light have a reflector?

If you can get beamshots later on it would be great to see those.

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Interesting is Armytek finally going to start using OTF lumens?

You can find maximal light output (OTF) in the section "Specification":

http://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/outdoor-and-camping/armytek-prime-c2-pro-xm-l2-warm.html

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great, glad to see it. The OTF number is much more useful and the people who are looking at buying lights in Armytek's price range will respond positively to having these numbers available. If I can make a recommendation it would be to either user the ANSI standard or at least clarify how the OTF number is determined (ie immediately after activation, or some period of time).

Are OTF lumens the new standard moving forward? Any hope of having the specs for other models updated to OTF lumens?

Thanks

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I don't buy many lights because a already have what I need but this is one that I really want to try out.
Or the C1, or A2...

@ Armytek, it is TIR, isn't it?
When can I buy one directly from Armytek?

GunnarGG

Enlightened
For me the non pro model seems just right so I think I will go for that.

How do the rest of you think in that aspect?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The New Mexico snow event is over. Took an hour and forty minute walk tonight: about 15 degrees F. (virtually no wind), with the dog, who got a couple of hard snow balls between his pads but shook them off pretty quickly.

I live in the Albuquerque area, and could give a real time-actual use, with this torch. When I looked at the proposed light a while back, the curved grip did not seem so secure to hold, but this design looks good. It was also great to see a sublumen mode. I have ZebraLight SC62d, NiteCore P12, P60 hosts, Petzl MYO RXP, as well as throwers and small lights and have had the ZL H600 and SC52 pass through my hands. I figure it would take two to three weeks to get a decent understanding with it but the snow cover may not be the best way to evaluate certain traits.

It's up to you and ArmyTek but I can tell you it would be a fair assessment. I was hoping this light would come out.

CandlePowerForums App

skater1on1

Newly Enlightened
That's great, glad to see it. The OTF number is much more useful and the people who are looking at buying lights in Armytek's price range will respond positively to having these numbers available. If I can make a recommendation it would be to either user the ANSI standard or at least clarify how the OTF number is determined (ie immediately after activation, or some period of time).

Are OTF lumens the new standard moving forward? Any hope of having the specs for other models updated to OTF lumens?

Thanks

I too am curious about this as well. I want to like ArmyTek, but it's very difficult when I can't accurately compare them with different manufacturers.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIR optics appear to be deep inside the bezel, does it affect spill?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am curious about this as well. I want to like ArmyTek, but it's very difficult when I can't accurately compare them with different manufacturers.

+2 we need ANSI standard numbers for all modes Armytek:thumbsup:

And, very few high end flashlight buyers like TIR/Collimators in my experience. You are shooting yourself in the foot putting them in new models imo. I immediately ruled the Prime series out due to the TIR and I would have bought one had it had a reflector. At least the Dobermann appears to have a reflector so, you may still get some of my money:crackup:. That is if you ever list all the modes output levels so we can tell the mode spacing exc.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap, I just looked at the new Prime pictures, what is with all the writing on them? Armytek seems to be marketed towards hard use users(LEO, MIL, exc.) who generally prefer lack of bright colours on their kit. Putting the most amount of white writing I have ever seen on a flashlight as well as a yellow switch might not be the greatest idea no? Maybe this model is geared more towards normal city use? I sure hope you dont do this on your more tactical models as well. I for one dont want your website, the emitter type, slogans, and a bunch of gay flowers on my lights no matter what use they are for lol. Anything on the package is fine but, just the company name and maybe, if even, the model is enough on the light. Sorry to be harsh but, this just really seems silly to me.

Last edited:

chadvone

Enlightened
Holy crap, I just looked at the new Prime pictures, what is with all the writing on them? Armytek seems to be marketed towards hard use users(LEO, MIL, exc.) who generally prefer lack of bright colours on their kit. Putting the most amount of white writing I have ever seen on a flashlight as well as a yellow switch might not be the greatest idea no? Maybe this model is geared more towards normal city use? I sure hope you dont do this on your more tactical models as well. I for one dont want your website, the emitter type, slogans, and a bunch of gay flowers on my lights no matter what use they are for lol. Anything on the package is fine but, just the company name and maybe, if even, the model is enough on the light. Sorry to be harsh but, this just really seems silly to me.

+1 on most if it.

I would be alright with Prime C2 XM-L2 2.7-9v is small letters around the tail cap or on the head. I like having the voltage range on the light. It would of saved a few drivers in other lights.

I don't believe they are going for Duty Use on this one. Outdoor EDC maybe ?