Armytek Wizard/Pro Thread

tex.proud

Enlightened
I have the Armytek Wizard Pro v3 XHP50 Warm, and it functions as it should. No issues. Great lumen spacing.

Tex.Proud

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, andrew-amanda.com have enticed me with their 25% off sale, so I ordered a Wizard Pro v3 XP-L. As always with an Armytek purchase, I am hoping for good luck. I have had no problems with my Wizard v1, other than the ridiculously stiff switch. But I did have to send in a Prime Pro C1 for warranty replacement.

I also considered the XHP50 version, but I decided I really have no use for 3 strobe modes and the 50W heater mode.

Bhpepper

Newly Enlightened
The wizard pro series seems to fit my needs (by spec). Have not bought yet and now this thread has be second guessing.

Is this a solid light?
Also there are tons of wizard pro versions. Is there a glaring one over another?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the warm tinted ones. It's nice in my opinion to not have cool white output.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and my wife's Tiara is nice. I much prefer 18650 based lights for runtime and output advantages but her Tiara has a nice tint and works well.

radioactive_man

Enlightened
Just got an Armytek Wizard Pro V2 warm white. I chose this one because it's the only warm white Wizard Pro that will run on CR123s and RCR123s. I prefer to power it with 18650s but I stock CR123s for extended blackouts (which never happen where I live, but still).

The output dwarfs that of my Spark ST6-460NW (which flickers on the lowest and highest levels when running 18650s), the color rendering is VERY nice, the runtimes are decent, the mode spacing is ok and it is very comfy to wear. Also, it is nice to have the power indicator. On the max mode it's not a room lighter - it's a barn lighter.

In short I LOVE this headlamp.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you're enjoying it! I'm super happy with mine as well. Just got it out last night to help my wife and I see the car we were washing after work.

MattSPL

Enlightened
I've a wizard pro v1.5 xml2. Great light, very tough, it's been dropped many times onto concrete and has been in the washing machine too.

Tempted to order the XPH50

myflashguy

Newly Enlightened
Just got an Armytek Wizard Pro V2 warm white. I chose this one because it's the only warm white Wizard Pro that will run on CR123s and RCR123s. I prefer to power it with 18650s but I stock CR123s for extended blackouts (which never happen where I live, but still).

The output dwarfs that of my Spark ST6-460NW (which flickers on the lowest and highest levels when running 18650s), the color rendering is VERY nice, the runtimes are decent, the mode spacing is ok and it is very comfy to wear. Also, it is nice to have the power indicator. On the max mode it's not a room lighter - it's a barn lighter.

In short I LOVE this headlamp.

It's well built but I don't prefer warm white I hv v3 warm & v3 cool white. One downside is if u use max output continuesly it does overheat the battery & melt lower portion of battery wrapper I hd to re-wrap my battery. AT v3 XHP50 is much better at regulating heat imo & the cool white is awesome plus 2300lm is extremely bright! :thumbsup:

Telkwa

Newly Enlightened
Hi, guys, haven't read this entire thread so forgive me if this has been covered...

Bought a Wizard V2 XM-L2 in December 2015 from E2 Field Gear. Gets used several hours per month, and no complaints until recently. Starting a few months ago it seemed like the light was draining the battery sooner than expected.

Four batteries, all recommended by the forum, are in rotation. And the charger is taking care of two other headlamps and their 18650's. So it's not that. Over the next month or two it seemed like the prob kept getting worse. Picked it up yesterday and it was dead. Fresh battery a few days ago.

I have the original receipt. Should I talk with dealer first, or try to contact ArmyTek?

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most retailers only handle product support for a limited window of time after purchase (eg 30 days) if at all. If you're certain it's not an issue with your batteries, you certainly could try contacting the seller, but I suspect they'll just say to contact Armytek.

Have you checked to see if the runtime on one of the higher modes is in the ballpark you'd expect?

Do you have a multimeter you can try measuring tailcap current with when the light is off?

Telkwa

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have a couple of multimeters. One old analog Radio Shack meter and a cheap digital one. I removed the tail cap. Placed one probe (ended up being the black one) on the back of the battery and grounded the other probe to the headlamp body.

Using the digital meter, on the 20m scale, the ArmyTek went to 7.5. I think that's 7.5 mA? The old analog meter appears to be showing about the same.

I have a Nitecore HC30. Did the same test. With the Nitecore the meter flicks up to about 1.5 when the probes first make contact. Then the meter drops to very nearly zero over the course of a few seconds.

I've never done a parasitic test before. Isn't 7.5 mA kinda high?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have a couple of multimeters. One old analog Radio Shack meter and a cheap digital one. I removed the tail cap. Placed one probe (ended up being the black one) on the back of the battery and grounded the other probe to the headlamp body.

Using the digital meter, on the 20m scale, the ArmyTek went to 7.5. I think that's 7.5 mA? The old analog meter appears to be showing about the same.

I have a Nitecore HC30. Did the same test. With the Nitecore the meter flicks up to about 1.5 when the probes first make contact. Then the meter drops to very nearly zero over the course of a few seconds.

I've never done a parasitic test before. Isn't 7.5 mA kinda high?

Yes, 7.5 mA is definitely high. That will drain a battery battery in good condition in 2-3 weeks. It sounds like your light has developed some sort of defect. I would contact Armytek customer service about additional troubleshooting or a warranty claim.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit of news some folks may be interested in and others may already know about - Armytek is considering doing a batch of Wizard Pro's with a Nichia 144A high CRI emitter. It should be pretty close to the XHP50 version in output, but with a tint more like what those who own Nichia 219 lights are familiar with. The idea was inspired by a Reddit user who modded his own and subsequently suggested it to Armytek.

Armytek responded by asking the flashlight sub-Reddit how many people were interested:
Source

More recent updates suggest they are continuing to work on it, but have had had difficulty sourcing those particular emitters in small quantities.

High CRI fans, keep your fingers crossed.

jirik

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I bought this flashlight and I like it a lot. The only issue is the charging which seems strange sometimes... Even when the battery is under 4V, after connecting the charger plug (the tail cap unscrewed by 1/4 turn) it sometimes flashes between red and green light and I need to twist the plug a little or unplug few times to make it work. Also the charging current seems low, it is approximately 200mA. Does somebody here have the flashlight and can measure the charging current for me?

Telkwa

Newly Enlightened
Hey, guys, thanks for the help. Got in touch with ArmyTek. They wanted a video fer crying out loud. We complied. Hoping for a positive outcome.

UPDATE DECEMBER 6th
ArmyTek's return process is a bit unconventional but everything worked out. They replaced my 2 year old Wizard with a Wizard Pro. The Pro has a groovy magnetic USB charger cable that grips the tailcap and charges the battery inside the headlamp.

I appreciate that the industry continues to innovate, but I have a feeling that removing the battery from the headlamp and charging it with our XTAR VC2 or Nitecore Intellicharger might give better results.

I tried charging the battery inside the headlamp using the USB cable. There are indicating LED's built into the magnetic part that clamps to the headlamp. The LED turns from red to green when it's charged. The cable had been red for a long time, so out of curiosity I removed the cable, then reattached it. The light went green and stayed that way. I removed the battery and plugged it into a VC2. The VC2 indicated the battery was at less than 4 volts, and proceeded to charge for another couple of hours.

That's only one test, and I introduced a variable by disconnecting and reconnecting. So it's a little premature to say, but the magnetic USB charging cable may not charge the batteries as fully as a dedicated charger. I don't know where the charging circuitry resides - inside the flashlight? I don't think it's in the cable. Maybe some of both?

Pretty sure the old Wizard was lifetime warranty. This new one says "10 Year No-Hassle Warranty".

Last edited:

wardroid

Newly Enlightened
I bought mine in 2017 of May. I've only used it 2-3 times and it won't turn on. Anybody with similar problems? I have an older version that works like a champ, so I'm pretty disappointed. The first one I bought went through a severe torture test and never had issues with it. I've never even took the new one outside.