Armytek XHP-50 Headlamp 1600 lumen

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are very interesting results, thanks for sharing them with us!

There is something I don't understand though in graph 1 - lumen output drops to nearly zero with fan ON around 37th minute or so but stays around 500lm with fan OFF for 100 mins? That doesn't make much sense.

I assume this an external fan you use to blow on the headlamp? Environment is what, room temp around 20 degrees C?

The room temperature was around 22 degrees C.

As scs said, the headlamp automatically lowers the output without cooling. Which means lower drain from the cell, so it can run longer (but with lower output) without cooling.

With cooling, the cell is already empty after those 35 minutes.

Btw what is this styrofoam sphere you are talking about, some device to measure luminosity? Excuse my ignorance, I'm still a newbie here :)

Homemade integrating sphere for measurement of luminous flux. I use four flashlights measured in professional sphere for calibration.

delerious

Newly Enlightened
Looks like they will be sending me a new light. The process so far hasn't been so bad. They made sure it wasn't a battery issues etc first. The video was easy as just used my phone. Took all of 30 seconds and a few emails back and forth. Will keep this thread updated as still in the process. They seemed very polite etc etc.

Did you get a replacement with the 30 lumen M1 that doesn't flicker?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Did you get a replacement with the 30 lumen M1 that doesn't flicker?
Yup. I am not 100% sure the flicker is totally gone in the new one but I can't really see it (well actually I can when the battery gets lower on a white wall but...well not a show stopper) so calling that a win. I like the mode spacing of the new UI which I think might be now included in the Tiara if I am to believe the stats. A 30-40 lumen mode was one of my wishes.

Last edited:

ytsapikau

Newly Enlightened
Just bought Armytek XHP50, it arrived yesterday, used it only for 30 minutes, now it is not responding.
It did not fall, no other damages... just does not respond...

Did anybody else had similar issues?

Toolboxkid

Enlightened
Just bought Armytek XHP50, it arrived yesterday, used it only for 30 minutes, now it is not responding.

Are you using protected cells? May have tripped just thinking.

xtibi

Newly Enlightened

The same thing happened to me after ~1 hour of use. Sent back to Armytek and get a replacement. They say was the electonics. Also they gave me 15 $ back for the shipping return.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

The same thing happened to me after ~1 hour of use. Sent back to Armytek and get a replacement. They say was the electonics. Also they gave me 15 $ back for the shipping return.

Out of curiosity, what modes were you using when it stopped responding? And when you mean stopped responding did it shutoff and not turn back on, or was it something where it remained stuck in a current mode and could not be changed?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to email Armytek later and see if I can capture it on video but mine has some odd behavior. I received my Wizard Pro XHP50 Warm today and just finished charging up my high drain 18650 ten minutes ago. When going in to Firefly 1 or Firefly 2 the button very dimly flashes red for a short while before it stops. Some clicks or double clicks do not register. Even in off, there have been some times where a single click does not turn the headlamp on, or vice versa where a single click did not turn the headlamp off. There have also been a couple of instances of mode jumps. An example would be from off I kept the switch pressed in - this should ramp it up from firefly 1 but instead of starting at Firefly 1 it jumped to Main 1. A second time it jumped to Turbo 2 from off.

Woods Walker

I am going to email Armytek later and see if I can capture it on video but mine has some odd behavior. I received my Wizard Pro XHP50 Warm today and just finished charging up my high drain 18650 ten minutes ago. When going in to Firefly 1 or Firefly 2 the button very dimly flashes red for a short while before it stops. Some clicks or double clicks do not register. Even in off, there have been some times where a single click does not turn the headlamp on, or vice versa where a single click did not turn the headlamp off. There have also been a couple of instances of mode jumps. An example would be from off I kept the switch pressed in - this should ramp it up from firefly 1 but instead of starting at Firefly 1 it jumped to Main 1. A second time it jumped to Turbo 2 from off.
The red dim thing in firefly seems like what mine does occasionally or rather when I notice it. Only lasts for a second and is beyond dim so ignore that. Only clicks with enough force of purpose to turn the red light on during the action register. My Tiara switch feels a bit mushy without solid audio feed back so occasionally make errors in mode changing but never when it turns red to register a solid contact. The Wizard switch feels a bit more clicky for lack of better words but still the switch needs to turn red to show it was a solid click though it does it very well.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The red dim thing in firefly seems like what mine does occasionally or rather when I notice it. Only lasts for a second and is beyond dim so ignore that. Only clicks with enough force of purpose to turn the red light on during the action register. My Tiara switch feels a bit mushy without solid audio feed back so occasionally make errors in mode changing but never when it turns red to register a solid contact. The Wizard switch feels a bit more clicky for lack of better words but still the switch needs to turn red to show it was a solid click though it does it very well.
That makes me feel a little better about the red dim flashing on firefly. Though in the instances where the headlamp didn't turned on from off with a single click the switch did flash red. I'll double check again when I get back home.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am now very apprehensive about the one I will be receiving soon... :/

Oh don't worry. Tons of these lights are out there and most people love them and don't have a single issue. And, even if you have an issue, Armytek will take care of you and for 10 years to boot. There are always a few lemons when it comes to any electronics and generally, far more people post about issues then ones who don't have any.

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh don't worry. Tons of these lights are out there and most people love them and don't have a single issue. And, even if you have an issue, Armytek will take care of you and for 10 years to boot. There are always a few lemons when it comes to any electronics and generally, far more people post about issues then ones who don't have any.

This! I've only had one other ArmyTek light have a issue and they were going to take care of it (I ended up selling it). I have owned a total of 10 ArmyTek lights and have only had an issue with one.

In playing around with this headlamp some more, I've found some truth to Woods Walker's post. The switch does feel different from my Tiaras and other two Wizards. I find that I have to be deliberate when clicking, whether single, outlet, or triple clicking. If I am more deliberate the headlamp and UI function as they should. So it looks as if this one is okay. Well more than okay. Tint and output are amazing! ;)

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

I came across 2 that had switch problems: one behaved just as you described, and the other was sensitive to finger pressure.

Woods Walker

That makes me feel a little better about the red dim flashing on firefly. Though in the instances where the headlamp didn't turned on from off with a single click the switch did flash red. I'll double check again when I get back home.
Also make sure your battery isn't almost dead. Occasionally the UIs on all my AT lights act funky and a few times I couldn't turn off the Tiara without untwisting the tail but the battery was really really low. Not sure how to reproduce it on the Tiara or Wizard but doesn't happen with the proper amount of power.

Edit.

Almost forgot. Yes the tint rocks!

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
All modes besides main 3 (highest main mode) have an electronic buzzing when a couple inches from my ear. I had noticed it while wearing the headband. It is rather similar to a mosquito buzzing a couple feet away. Nearly imperceptible in the day to day activities, but i would imagine it to be deafening in the silence of the wilderness.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here as well, but my hearing is not as acute anymore, so I hear it only when really close and really quiet. Don't know if it actually has to do with the flashing switch. Between flashes, the switch is very dimly lit red/orange, then when it does flash, there's an accompanying *chirp* sound.