As I suspected, the headgear bracket for my Photon Fusion is now broken...

Forge

Newly Enlightened
As this forum is well aware, there have been serious concerns about the bracket latches for the Fusion battery container and Photon stepped up to the plate and took care of it by sending anyone a new and improved batter container with more durable latches.

Well, when I contacted them, I told them the headgear latch would be next. I was right. I have taken it on/off about a dozen times and it broke this weekend when I most needed it. No love for Forge. :-(

I just LOVE my Fusion with its innovative design and ability to change the position of the headlamp assembly and how much light it puts out; but the latches for the battery container and headgear should have never seen the light of day. While the latches on the new battery container are more durable, I have serious concerns about their longevity as well. Photon really needs to come up with a design for this great light that doesn't involve applying tons of pressure to plastic latches.

I contacted someone about my broken headgear latches, we'll see what kind of response I get.

APW

Newly Enlightened
Not only that, the hinge of the battery cap and actually the whole battery container is an issue. Just too thin to be tough. Plus the bicycle mount problem that cost someone the whole Fusion posted on LED Museum site is also an issue. I have 3 broken Fusions and finally return it for full refund today.

See what I mean
NewFusionProblem.jpg

Fusionhinge.JPG

I have only used this light at home! How can it be tough for outdoor use???

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have their newest version - so new it's still a month or two away that I'll try to break if I
get some spare time this week.

I needed a tool to remove the headband assembly the first time around - same with the battery
lid. This means the headband accessory is still attached by means of a pressure fit - make
one part just a hair smaller or shorter than a mirror image mould would produce. This allows
for a fastening mechanism that requires no springs or screws. The entire structure bends
and then snaps into place at the appropriate
junction.

I'm guessing one of these junctions (the point at which the protrusion on the headband bracket
and the notch in the battery carriage mate together) is what broke on yours? Or did it
break at the rear where you lock it in place
before swinging it down? Or did it simply snap in the middle?

Knowing where it broke might help me to accurately recreate the disaster and document it
carefully for forwarding to LRI.

Forge

Newly Enlightened
The headgear assembly is tough to describe. It's shaped like a "claw" with 2 connectors at the bottom and 1 at the top. Mine broke on the one at the top.

You have to press down sooooo hard to get it to snap back into place, it just flat broke.

The light itself and the electronics for the light are just top notch!!! LRI really needs to make a battery container and headgear assembly that matches the superlative quality of the light itself.

Originally posted by The LED Museum:
I'm guessing one of these junctions (the point at which the protrusion on the headband bracket
and the notch in the battery carriage mate together) is what broke on yours? Or did it
break at the rear where you lock it in place
before swinging it down? Or did it simply snap in the middle?

Knowing where it broke might help me to accurately recreate the disaster and document it
carefully for forwarding to LRI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Forge

Newly Enlightened
You're dreaming! Running over the Arc-AAA will result in:
- A 1-foot-deep chunk of concrete gone out of the sidewalk.
- A dent in your wheelchair wheel.
- You laying on the ground.

...and the Arc-AAA looking like the day you bought it. ;-)

If there is ever a Nuclear war, I'm crawling in my Arc-AAA for protection. LOL!!!!

Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Originally posted by APW:
[qb]That would probably even be enough to flatten an Arc-AAA!
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by APW:
Not only that, the hinge of the battery cap and actually the whole battery container is an issue. Just too thin to be tough. Plus the bicycle mount problem that cost someone the whole Fusion posted on LED Museum site is also an issue.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just got a bicycle bracket for mine, and after I'm done with a building inspection in a few more days, I'm going to attach it to the upright steering post on my electric chair and see if I can get the Fusion to fall off.

The post is connected directly to the right front wheel axle and the front wheels are solid (not pneumatic), so there is no shock absorption at all. The Fusion isn't going to get babied once I install it on that post. I'll probably tether it to the armrest using some rubber bands and one of McGizmo's coil lanyards just in case it pops off. If it did fall of, it would not survive being run over by a solid tire with a momentary force (at the time the wheel hits it and locks up) measureable in tons. That would probably even be enough to flatten an Arc-AAA!
shocked.gif