As Promised RA Clicky Beamshots High Cri and 170T

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Abarth, very nice beamshots. I've had a Ra Clicky on my list for awhile, debating between the 120 EDC, the 100 High CRI, the 140 Exec., and your shots have made the decision for me: 100 High CRI!

(I'll put in an OT plug for the nice beam on that EX10 R2 as well.)

bigfoot

Enlightened
Great photos!! After seeing these today I'm glad I went for the high CRI Clicky.

m3flies

Banned
Excellent shots. What a difference in color. If only I had seen these before I ordered my Ra 140 Twisty YESTERDAY! I Would have, without a doubt, gone with the High CRI.:shrug:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some beam shots of my "old" high CRI, a 120 E pre mod and my 170 E. Would you mind me posting those onto your thread. Hopefully I can get out tonight and take a shot or 2 of the 120 with the 5B XP-G R4.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure go ahead, they will only add info to this thread, im getting my Twisty upgraded to the same emitter, can you take a comparison pic between all your Clicky's

Thermion

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for posting those. I've wondered what all the hype was about with the high CRI. I've studied the pictures very carefully and at the risk of sounding like a heretic, I have to say I prefer the 170. I already have a 140GT, so the 170 will be next.
By the way, am I the only one who prefers non yellow tinted beams?

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for posting those. I've wondered what all the hype was about with the high CRI. I've studied the pictures very carefully and at the risk of sounding like a heretic, I have to say I prefer the 170. I already have a 140GT, so the 170 will be next.

I love a cold tint, My light usage is 90% inside (Up in drop ceilings for example) and when I have tried using warm tinted lights inside, its harder for me to focus on things, everything looks dreary. (Warm tinted nitecore EZ-Cr2 was the WORST at this) If you use a light outside then it might be better for you, but Id go for the 170 (better runtimes at lower levels, more efficient).

-Bobby

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my shots. The swing set is about 35 feet away. There was a breeze which is why the trees seem blurry in the 120 EDC pic. All lights were shot on high before the 10 second step down.

Control shot
027.jpg

HDS Systems high CRI Clicky
023.jpg

Ra Clicky 120 EDC (pre XP-G mod)
024.jpg

Ra Clicky 170 E
025.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to find a minute to get a shot of the 120 EDC with the neutral XP-G R4 LED mod. I think you all will be pleasantly suprised! :naughty:

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not heretical at all, it's just a matter of personal preference.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've studied the pictures very carefully and at the risk of sounding like a heretic, I have to say I prefer the 170. I already have a 140GT, so the 170 will be next.
You're not and there's nothing at all wrong with liking what you like! That's at the crux of almost every argument I find myself in, that I 100% support the individuals right to choose for themself. One thing you still may want to do sometime (ideally at at flashaholic GTG) is to compare them directly, both indoors and out, wide open area and in the woods. Your opinion may stay the same, thereby giving yourself more confidence, or you may find you prefer the warmer tint in certain instances.

I think that most of us a able to enjoy both warm and cool tints depending on locale and output level.

Read more below...
I love a cold tint, My light usage is 90% inside (Up in drop ceilings for example) and when I have tried using warm tinted lights inside, its harder for me to focus on things, everything looks dreary. (Warm tinted nitecore EZ-Cr2 was the WORST at this) If you use a light outside then it might be better for you, but Id go for the 170 (better runtimes at lower levels, more efficient).

-Bobby
I have the opposite preference from you, and yet still love a couple of my floody lower output lights with cooler tints. Particularly my Titan and especially my favorite around-the-house-at-night-light, MillerMods Arc-AA.

With my tremendous love of the warm tints, I've noticed that I like cool tints at super low levels and warm tints anywhere from medium on up.

The more educated and picky we become, the tougher it gets to find perfect satisfaction?!? Oh well, that keeps our hobby fun!
naughty.gif

Hellbore

Enlightened
I just found out that HDS is located in Tucson, AZ which is only about a 30 minute drive from where I live!

Is that a good enough excuse to buy one of these high CRI lights? I mean, they are so close...

Does anyone know, are these lights made in USA, or somewhere else like China or Hong Kong?

I am ashamed to say that I have never really read about HDS lights so I don't know if they are highly-respected or not, but the high CRI light pictures are making me think hey, all my lights are really cool or blueish, a high CRI would be something I don't have in my collection... Plus they are a local company (sorta) :)

Is that enough excuse to buy one??
evilgrin07.gif

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found out that HDS is located in Tucson, AZ which is only about a 30 minute drive from where I live!

Is that a good enough excuse to buy one of these high CRI lights? I mean, they are so close...

Does anyone know, are these lights made in USA, or somewhere else like China or Hong Kong?

I am ashamed to say that I have never really read about HDS lights so I don't know if they are highly-respected or not, but the high CRI light pictures are making me think hey, all my lights are really cool or blueish, a high CRI would be something I don't have in my collection... Plus they are a local company (sorta) :)

Is that enough excuse to buy one??
evilgrin07.gif

The HDS lights are made 30 minutes from you!

James....

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not and there's nothing at all wrong with liking what you like! That's at the crux of almost every argument I find myself in, that I 100% support the individuals right to choose for themself. One thing you still may want to do sometime (ideally at at flashaholic GTG) is to compare them directly, both indoors and out, wide open area and in the woods. Your opinion may stay the same, thereby giving yourself more confidence, or you may find you prefer the warmer tint in certain instances.

I think that most of us a able to enjoy both warm and cool tints depending on locale and output level.

Read more below...
I have the opposite preference from you, and yet still love a couple of my floody lower output lights with cooler tints. Particularly my Titan and especially my favorite around-the-house-at-night-light, MillerMods Arc-AA.

With my tremendous love of the warm tints, I've noticed that I like cool tints at super low levels and warm tints anywhere from medium on up.

The more educated and picky we become, the tougher it gets to find perfect satisfaction?!? Oh well, that keeps our hobby fun!
naughty.gif

I agree very much with what you said in the top half. As for the bottom half this is my personal observation.

I have just discovered that I prefer the high CRI when using moon mode. I find that at such low levels, cool white LEDs really fail to bring out the added details on what I am shining at. At moon mode there's so little light, the high CRI at least brought out some colors, and since it is warmer in spectrum it does not irritate my eye as much, which is also one of the reason why we use moon mode, not to irritate our eyes and maintain night vision.

To everyone...

I generally prefer cool white for urban usage. With all the light pollution around me brighter is always better. For outdoor trips like camping and trekking it would be high CRI for me.

Just went for a short trek with my wife last night. I passed her the high CRI and I the 140 GT. After 15 mins I asked her which one she prefers, she said the high CRI. Since she is not a flashaholic she does not really know how to express why she preferred it but just said that it is "more comfortable".

Vesper

Enlightened
High CRI looks very awesome... All I want for Christmas is a 200 lumen high CRI clicky... Well I can dream anyway. ;)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I agree very much with what you said in the top half. As for the bottom half this is my personal observation.

I have just discovered that I prefer the high CRI when using moon mode. I find that at such low levels, cool white LEDs really fail to bring out the added details on what I am shining at. At moon mode there's so little light, the high CRI at least brought out some colors, and since it is warmer in spectrum it does not irritate my eye as much, which is also one of the reason why we use moon mode, not to irritate our eyes and maintain night vision.

To everyone...

I generally prefer cool white for urban usage. With all the light pollution around me brighter is always better. For outdoor trips like camping and trekking it would be high CRI for me.

Just went for a short trek with my wife last night. I passed her the high CRI and I the 140 GT. After 15 mins I asked her which one she prefers, she said the high CRI. Since she is not a flashaholic she does not really know how to express why she preferred it but just said that it is "more comfortable".
I love it! We're almost directly opposite in the way we like to use the exact same tints! Proof that there is no one single 'right' or 'wrong'! :)
High CRI looks very awesome... All I want for Christmas is a 200 lumen high CRI clicky... Well I can dream anyway. ;)
Dream, till Christmas, then wake up to your new... :whistle: