At the risk of angering SureFireophiles.....

Gandalf

Enlightened
I just don't see the excitement over the E2e. I bought an E2 (GM) when they first came out, and I recently decided to buy another E2 in HA, rather than than the much more expensive E2e. I paid just under $60 for the E2 HA, including shipping. The E2e is *$85* delivered, or almost 42% more. Lockout tailcap (never had a problem with that..) hex bezel, to prevent rolling (never had a problem with that...) Pyrex lens (my older E2 has accumulated about 2 or 3 very minor scratches in the lens, since I got it.....not a problem there.....) Short, stiff clip that everyone seems to want to replace at extra cost... The E2 doesn't have this problem....

I could see getting one when the price of the E2e isn't so high, but at $85, I fail to see the attraction. Perhaps my Flashaholics Anonymous (FA) meetings have had some influence..... ( "Hi, my name is Gandalf, and I'm a Flashholic". Chorus of raspy voices: "Hi Gandalf!"....)

Don't get me wrong: I now own *8* SureFire flashlights, so I can count myself among the ranks of the SureFireophiles, but I'm much more interested in the new products: LED and xenon hybrid, SureFire Luxeon Star, The Beast, which I will never be able to afford.... etc.

The 'upgrades' on the E2e seem so minor to me, condsidering the high cost...

Perhaps the long winter here has sapped my zest for life...
tongue.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif
frown.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
Lockout tailcap (never had a problem with that..)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm.. I've bubbled the lens of my 6P when I forgot to lockout the tailcap once. It can certainly happen! For me, lockout tailcaps are a necessity. Imagine if the M6 didn't have a lockout and you accidentally turned it on. You could burn your house down!
blush.gif
grin.gif

Then again, I don't own any of the E2s, just an E1.
shocked.gif

/mel

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't pay retail for any SureFire product. But, I do like the E2e, and will probably get one when I can get a discount. Actually, isn't there a "digital" series light that has the same features as the E2e, except with the LEDs as well?

I think more water resistance is a huge win. I've never had a problem with my E2, but partially that's because when I'm really around water, I carry my UKE 2L. I'm not just interested in conditions I run into everyday -- I want to be prepared for other kinds of conditions, like puddles, and lakes, and oceans.

I've never had a light turn on by itself, so the lockout tailcap doesn't appeal to me as much at a gut level. But, from what I hear, once you have a light turn on by itself, you'll really want the lockout tailcap.

pyrex lense is cool -- less scratches, less worrying about scratches, brighter light. The hex bezel is the only thing that seems more aesthetic than functional -- but, if you put the light on a big enough grade, the clip will not stop it, so maybe the hex bezel will come in useful after all ... but maybe not.

Joe

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
The SureFire A2 Aviator has a 60Lu lamp with 3 LEDs inbedded in the reflector. It is a Digital (Regulated) light.

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK: *That's* worth getting excited about, and perhaps paying 'full price' for! The choice of three LED'sf for close up,
non-blinding light, or the 'standard' very bright 60 lumens, in an E2e size package, is much, much more than a 'minor' upgrade to the E2! I wonder what the burn time on the 3 LED's would be? This light would really appeal to a broader range of people than either the E2, or a 3 LED light alone, for obvious reasons. I hope it's not *too* expensive, because it's on my short list of 'must have' lights.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
I hope it's not *too* expensive, because it's on my short list of 'must have' lights.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You and me both, Gandalf. If I thought it would be available soon, I probably would have even held off on my E2 HA. I've GOT to have the Aviator. It will simply cover all the bases in a single, small light. I LOVE LEDs, I love regulation, I love SF quality. Really the only troubling point will be (I'm sure) the price.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I am not sure if I would drop having other lights, I'm very interested in this combination. One of the strong attractions is getting a very long runtime and being very handy. I suspect it should have a very good runtime with two 123A cells and three LEDs. Of course, maybe using one of these and having a second would be a good backup.

On the down side, it doesn't look like it has the shock resistaint bezel. Bummer.

I haven't been paying close attention, but I hope it is a pyrex lens (on all these beasts) and waterproof (ditto) and shock bezel (ditto).

The digital series has two brightness levels. It would be intresting to see the difference in light output and runtime. If the digital has a shock bezel and decent runtime (and the A2 does not), I might pick it over the A2. Certainly it does not look like the A2 has a shock bezel.

I don't know if the Luxeon based ones have two levels, but it would be very desirable.
On the down side, I've been waiting since Oct. for my 10X, and I'm not sure I even think the 6mo. guesstimate is likely.

Also, it will be intresting to see prices as the street price of the 10X has gone up over $100 since I ordered mine (gulp!).

-john

Size15's

Flashaholic
The MxD's have Shock Isolated Bezels.

The C2D does not.

The A2 does not.

The L1 & L2 do not.

SureFire call their Regulated models "Digital" and the A2 Aviator is Digital Fusion (Fusion of Lamp & LEDs)

I believe the runtime of the A2 LEDs is supposed to be so long, you get over 24 hours of regulated output.

Al
rolleyes.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
Would anyone forgo carrying separate incandescent and LED lights in lieu of carrying just the A2?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would, unless I had a specific use for another type of light. For all-around use (camping, etc) I think this would be near ideal. Even if you break the lens and the bulb, the LEDs should function fine.

BKO

Newly Enlightened
The SF 9N is a superb light,but the one piece high/low lamp assembly is not cost effective.

It seems ive always had the low 20lm lamp go at the slightest drop..Since I use both lamps quite frequently I swapped a blown low beam to a 5mm led,but when the high beam go`s I must remove the still perfectly good led.

Not too much work,but i think the design could be updated.

The A2 looks interesting..

What I would really like to see is a rechargable A2 no larger than a 6r with a shock issolated lamp assembly.
---------------------------------------------Bill

BKO

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to add.
123 lithium compatable and regulated.

Not asking to much.
-------------Bill

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes sir gandalf I have been wondering some of this my self and is probably the only reason that i have not placed my order for one yet. The one thing that I doooo like about the pyrex is that i understand that the beam is a tad bit brigher due to better light transmission and that it handles heat better (if for some reason sf decides to come out with a HOLA for this light?)
Those are the only things that kept me really interested in this light but now that you have brought it up 42%?! for pyrex?! i dont think so!

Can any body out there sway me back to e2e rather than e2ha??

thanks.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Gandalf,

I don't know why, but I have this thing for the 2 cell SFs. I have an E2 and I just bought the E2e.

A side by side comparison reveals some of the obvious things you picked up on but for me, there are some things making it worth the money.

I like the pyrex. The lexan does get scratched with T shirt cleanings and pyrex seems to be immune. The clip is too short as you pointed out but so far, with coin pocket clipping on the Levis, it has fallen off. I may switch it out for the longer clip.

I think the lockout cap is worthwhile. My 9P doesn't really need one because it's in a protective holster. The Ex lights have been activated before because they don't have holster carry.

Anti-roll. That's a tough one. With the older E lights the clip was sufficient. Now, the light doesn't roll period although with any of the F0x's, it really isn't a problem. If you really wanted anti roll, one could always by a F0x, take out the filter and use the housing by itself.

Intangibles: The E2e has a certain CQ (cuteness quotient) that the other Ex lights don't have. It's sorta like having a girlfriend who has an attractive sister. Happy with the first but intrigued/interested in the other. I really can't explain it any better than that.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The A2 I saw had a lamp module as one unit and the 3 LEDs are a different unit. Whether we'll be able to swap different LED units whether these will be fixed to the Bezel is unknown to me.

It is my understanding that SureFire Digital Models will be able to use the SFL123A LiIon Batteries.

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
Would anyone forgo carrying separate incandescent and LED lights in lieu of carrying just the A2?
See ya.
xyxwave.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd still want to have separate incandescent and LED backups.

Brightnorm

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
size 15 is there an anticipated release date on the A2 aviator fusion?

Size15's

Flashaholic
At the risk of angering SureFireophiles, I do not know, and to be honest, would prefer save up not knowing!

What I does know is that I wants these Digitals, and we will need to save to get them all!

Al
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
I'd still want to have separate incandescent and LED backups.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think I'll ever stop carrying my Arc LE, but I think I would get a lot of use out of the A2. I need to keep my lanyarded (word?) LE in case I need to whack my dog.