At what +/- DUV do you start to notice a greenish/rosey tint?

fire-stick

Enlightened
I'm on zeroair looking at led color reports. (a riveting evening right?)
First off... is 0.000 considered the most like sunlight? I seen a post on r/flashlight where someone was saying sunlight was like +0.0050 or a bit positive?
Secondly, at what point does the light begin to take a tint? I know some people are better at seeing smaller color changes, but at what DUV range would most consider neutral tint, rosey or greenish?

Thanks in advanced!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Some good reading on that:

If I had to summarize:

1) The human visual system is capable of detecting very small differences in tint.
2) Some people are better at it than others but the majority of people can detect a 0.001 DUV difference.
3) Differences in tint are more objectionable than differences in CCT.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off... is 0.000 considered the most like sunlight?...
Secondly, at what point does the light begin to take a tint?
imo Sunlight has a nominal Tint DUV of 0.0032

your question about Tint is very generalized and confounded by differences in Color Temperature. I suggest you buy and try a few different LEDs, and compare them for yourself. No amount of words can predict your experience.

fwiw, I consider a +- difference of 0.0020 between two LEDs to be slightly noticeable in side by side comparison.. here is an example, with a difference of 0.0029. The difference in the two LEDs is normal variation btw.
aNUIhv9.jpg

see the slight pink vs golden?

otoh, if color temperature is not identical, we see that difference, separate from the Tint DUV:
3oVfhxk.jpg

3000K on left is obviously warmer than 4500K in middle. the 4500K light on right is obviously greener than the middle light, whose Tint DUV is over 0.0100 lower. Our perception of Tint, how green or pink a light looks, depends entirely on what it is being compared to. A light with a Tint DUV of 0.0030 will not look green during the day, when our brain is using sunlight as a reference.

I suggest you start with One Light. Shine it on a piece of paper on your desk or kitchen table during the day (NOT in the dark), even take a photo.. Use the same light, at night, with your house lights on. Compare the photos..

otoh, here are two 4000K lights with practically identical CCT and DUV, and you can see the beams side by side are essentially the same color and tint:
These are Wurkkos TS10 lights, I highly recommend them. These lights are for sale, see my ad here
YXxVQd9.jpg

btw, note the jog in the black line at 5000K, it is the shift from duv 0.0000 from incandescet, to 0.0032 sunlight. The color and Tint of an LED appear very different when compared to sunlight, vs compared to incandescent. Not only because of Tint differences, also because of Color Temperature differences.. Sunlight referenced "Daylight White" is nominally CCT 5600K and DUV 0.0032, while Incandescent is Nominally 3000K w DUV 0.0000.

Last edited: