Attn LEOs: Be careful tonight

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all get shot at with fireworks. Well they've started shooting artillery shells at us like bazookas. The concussion from one of them blowing up close is enough to kill you if close enough. Imagine a potato gun with exploding potatoes. It's borderline deadly force.

I have a mad baby in my arms so I can't talk too much but be on your toes. Few more nights of this crap and we'll be able to roll our windows down again.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My family has roman candle fights. We just wear eye protection. No fatalities yet.

Officers: Thanks for working this weekend! Careful out among the drunk drivers!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's the drunks with firecrackers and M-80s that scare me. There's always some idiot who thinks it's funny to toss a lit one into a crowd of people.

Greta

Flashaholic
My family has roman candle fights. We just wear eye protection. No fatalities yet.

Officers: Thanks for working this weekend! Careful out among the drunk drivers!

I used to have those, its so fun when you tape 20 roman candles together and it shoots like a mini gun.

Uh... this is not the kind of thing that is condoned in any way, shape or form in these forums. I honestly don't care how "safe" you all think it is. It is just plain stupid. :shakehead

Move back to the original topic or the thread gets closed.

Good Lord... darwinism is alive and well... :shakehead

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in the hood/inner city, and the past week it's been like a scene from 'Saving Private Ryan' between 8pm - midnight. It starts every year near the end of june as 20-30yr old males make their annual migration to the Indiana border and fill their trunks up with China's finest. Cops used to have an unwritten rule that they wouldn't harass you on the fourth, but the past several years they've given up enforcement at all. I hear firetrucks about 3x a day.

I don't mind the mortars because even though they can be dangerous if used improperly, they don't scare me as much as large bottle rockets or those idiotic plastic finned missles that go 500pmh in a random direction when ignited. Either need to be outlawed. Also, nothing is as annoying as the next door kid with five gross of whistling bottle rockets and parents drinking beer in a lawn chair all night long.

Before my neighbor moved he used to bring out his brass canon on the fourth, and that thing used to shut up the whole town after it went off. Legal, safe, and insanely loud, but you don't see them much anymore.

Greta

Flashaholic
Before my neighbor moved he used to bring out his brass canon on the fourth, and that thing used to shut up the whole town after it went off. Legal, safe, and insanely loud, but you don't see them much anymore.

Michael Anthony (of VanHalen fame) has one that he decided to shoot off from the balcony of his condo one fourth of July in the English Channel under the London Bridge... didn't go over well... he got to meet my husband... who hasn't liked VanHalen since Sammy left...

sfca

Enlightened
I live in the hood/inner city, and the past week it's been like a scene from 'Saving Private Ryan' between 8pm - midnight. It starts every year near the end of june as 20-30yr old males make their annual migration to the Indiana border and fill their trunks up with China's finest. Cops used to have an unwritten rule that they wouldn't harass you on the fourth, but the past several years they've given up enforcement at all. I hear firetrucks about 3x a day.

Where do you live?! Can't believe 20-30 year old males are still doing that. In my time (I'm a 20-30 year old male) we shot off fireworks as teenagers, and never after that. No dangerous or crazy s$#t either.

The worst was the (only a few guys) egging of buses. Lotsa people use public transit in this city, Halloween isn't fun if you gotta get home late.

RSW

Newly Enlightened
I sincerely wish people would leave the fireworks to the pros. I have had fireeworks land on my roof and the house next door is empty and overgrown with dry plant life. I am so concerned about fire......we are talking about my family's safety and we aren't even in possession of any fireworks.

Also as a former 911 dispatcher I echo the sentiment to all LEO's as well as Firefighters.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you live?! Can't believe 20-30 year old males are still doing that. In my time (I'm a 20-30 year old male) we shot off fireworks as teenagers, and never after that. No dangerous or crazy s$#t either.

The worst was the (only a few guys) egging of buses. Lotsa people use public transit in this city, Halloween isn't fun if you gotta get home late.

Friday night while the kids - teens were shooting fireworks the 20 - 30 year olds were shooting guns in the air at the same time.

Idiots.

sfca

Enlightened
Friday night while the kids - teens were shooting fireworks the 20 - 30 year olds were shooting guns in the air at the same time.

Idiots.

Now if the folks arguing for gun-control would use this instead, surely the bill would pass! There's always consensus on douchebags
yellowlaugh.gif

Those bullets have killed people on the way down... !

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if the folks arguing for gun-control would use this instead, surely the bill would pass! There's always consensus on douchebags
yellowlaugh.gif

They're all illegal.

ypsifly

Enlightened
Last year I made the mistake of driving through south west Detroit at sundown on the Fourth.....Shock and Awe ghetto style.:eek::eek::eek:

I had mortars exploding just above me. Some idiots were sniping cars from abandonded roof tops. Then there was the lead rain. I was at a red light when someone on the next street let loose with full auto using tracers aimed straight up. The whole thing reminded me of the bridge scene from Apocalypse Now.

"Who's in charge here?"

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you live?! Can't believe 20-30 year old males are still doing that

I take it you guys haven't beem to Shelton Fireworks and seen the insanity first hand. Imagine a small Walmart with every square inch packed with consumer fireworks up to the rafters.

You then see dozens of dads wearing flip-flops with grocery carts heaped up to the top with mortars, roman candles, big bottle rockets, cakes, etc., with a glazed look in their eye that's the same as a heroin addict shooting up. Then there's their trail of kids, most of whom have mullets and wearing greasy Transformers T-shirts proudly carrying a $300 finale pack on their head. After seeing this unique american spectale you will no longer fear the under-wear bomber :grin2:

The wholesalers of this stuff have a massive political lobby, especially in Indiania, and surrounding states for years have had much more restrictive firerworks laws. This year the legislature in Michigan got smart and made some drastic liberalization of fireworks laws because they were getting sick of Indiana making all this loot just over the border.

Max_Power

Enlightened
yellowlaugh.gif

I call shenanigans! Mythbusters proved that bullets fired nearly vertically fall back to earth slowly enough to be less-than-lethal. On the way back down they don't go any faster than terminal velocity, around 150 mph.

Now, if some idiot shot horizontally, that's another story.

Last edited:

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
We were fairly quiet tonight (hour and a half still left...knock on wood). Not in a major city so Im sure someone will post the opposite of my night.

G1K

Newly Enlightened
I call shenanigans! Mythbusters proved that bullets fired nearly vertically fall back to earth slowly enough to be less-than-lethal. On the way back down they don't go any faster than terminal velocity, around 150 mph.

Now, if some idiot shot horizontally, that's another story.

And when you deviate from straight up the path of the bullet changes to ballistic which very much has the potential to kill someone...

Ryan

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mythbusters proved that bullets fired nearly vertically fall back to earth slowly enough to be less-than-lethal. On the way back down they don't go any faster than terminal velocity, around 150 mph.

Basic physics would say that it needs as much velocity to get up as high as it does, as it will then have when it gets back down to the level from where it was fired.

Even if it's "less-than-lethal", firing guns in the air (whether straight up or at an angle) is ridiculously stupid.