Attn: manufacturers...wanted...

RossB

Newly Enlightened
A multi-LED light (target brightness: PT Attitude) with a configuration similar to the Pelican VersaBriite II (my favorite incandescent) and, most important, a "non-incendive" rating. Comparing the VersaBrite head to that of the Attitude, this ought to be feasible.

RB

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
RossB

non-incendive = non-incendiary?

If so, you haven't long to wait. In my possession in the first LED bulb to have received UL Approval, NMEA, ABC-XYZ, Division 123456 rating bomb proof rating.

The bulb (nichia????) is much brighter than the than any other single led, overdriven or otherwise. not a luxeion star (it's mounted in a pr-base) and is as bright as my LEDDA 4

Sorry, can't mention manufacture; should be available to the public in 60 days for less.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
The bulb (nichia????) is much brighter than the than any other single led, overdriven or otherwise. not a luxeion star (it's mounted in a pr-base) and is as bright as my LEDDA 4

Sorry, can't mention manufacture; should be available to the public in 60 days for less.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been over three and a half hours. Aren't you going to say anything else about it?
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff what's up with all this carrot dangling??? Tell, tell, tell!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RossB:
A multi-LED light (target brightness: PT Attitude) with a configuration similar to the Pelican VersaBriite II (my favorite incandescent) and, most important, a "non-incendive" rating. RB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

</lurk>
Done...if you want a headlamp, that is. 'Course, for hazloc work, I would always recommend one 'cuz you might need to get out of there fast and nice to have hands free when doing so!

Petzl makes the DUO with two different LED configurations: 3-LED and 5-LED. Both also have a focusing halogen bulb. Both models are rated for use in Hazardous Locations (US rating) as follows:

Class I, Div. 1, Group D T3
Class I, Div. 2, Groups A,B,C,C T3
Class II, Div 2, Groups F,G T3

hank

<lurk>

RossB

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
[QB]RossB

If so, you haven't long to wait. In my possession in the first LED bulb to have received UL Approval, NMEA, ABC-XYZ, Division 123456 rating bomb proof rating.

(snip)

FYI, "non-incendive" is the current bafflespeak for what was once "explosion-proof", i.e. electric equipment in a sealed housing so any internal spark cannot set off flamable vapors, so it's the housing and not the components inside that matter. This includes cell phones and even pagers, BTW. I'd say any dive-rated light ought to be able to pass, but not many mfrs. seem to pursue the certification. Streamlight tells me they're working on certification for the Clipmate, but don't know when the approvals might be issued.

The Petzl isn't quite what I'm looking for, alas. I use the Pelican handheld to peer into nooks and crannies, then put it in my shirt pocket with the head dangling over to illuminate my notebook.

RB

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RossB:
I use the Pelican handheld to peer into nooks and crannies, then put it in my shirt pocket with the head dangling over to illuminate my notebook.
RB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
how long did it take to train the pelican to do that? most of the pelicans around here are far too large to fit in a pocket, maybe I could see one perched on a shoulder, and exactly what kind of flashlight would that pelican be holding for you?
wink.gif

RossB

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
Originally posted by RossB:
[qb]
I use the Pelican handheld to peer into nooks and crannies, then put it in my shirt pocket with the head dangling over to illuminate my notebook.
RB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
how long did it take to train the pelican to do that? most of the pelicans around here are far too large to fit in a pocket, maybe I could see one perched on a shoulder, and exactly what kind of flashlight would that pelican be holding for you?
wink.gif
[/QB]

Depends on the size, the Lesser Dwarf Pelican can hold a Photon or AAA, while the Common Dwarf Pelican can manage most of the 2-AA cell lights. They are easy to train with anchovies, but have an unfortunate tendency to crap on your hard hat when used in headlamp mode.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
RossB

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Can't wait to see this LED! One nice thing about my new flashlight, the 'Blaster', is that I am not limited by the design I have, to the Luxeon Star. I can mount most any kind of LED in it, even including multiple 5mm LED's if I wanted to. So far the Luxeon Star is the best thing around. The new Lambertian high dome is excellent, in brightness and the color of light. It'll be hard to beat!
shocked.gif
I have some in my possession, rated at 27 lumens, at 350mA ! Now, wait until the 5 watt Luxeon Stars come out!

The new Nichia coming out that I've read about, it is not brighter than the Luxeon Star. Although I have read it will be to install with machinery.

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com