automotive lighting issues / concerns

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why couldn't you run different groups of emitters in the same housing, reflector, and lens off of the same 12v source, w/ a separate driver for each group?

You could even do variable brightness like that, by turning on and off groups individually.

Axkiker

Enlightened
Why couldn't you run different groups of emitters in the same housing, reflector, and lens off of the same 12v source, w/ a separate driver for each group?

You could even do variable brightness like that, by turning on and off groups individually.

Well im open to any and all suggestions!!!!!

My main goal is to put out roughly 3-4k lm from a single housing...

Now I will say that the bridgelux array seems ideal due to low costs and ability to produce major light with 1 array... I would only need to make one housing, use one refletor, one lens etc.... Now I will say that finding a driver that I feel will work in an autmotive enviroment is giving me fits.

what would you suggest ?????

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest lumen, best bang for your buck deal, with the least amount of effort/work, is a set of sturdy weather-proof halogen lights with an HID kit. Mount the halogen lights, swap out the bulbs, mount the ballast, wire it up, good to go. Two housings at 3,500 lumens each for less than $150. Stick with 4,300k for most lumens + better seeing ability than higher color temps.

Insert standard caveat about OFFROAD USE ONLY here. I know they're going on a boat, but I have no idea what the laws are with regard to maritime lighting, I urge you to research them and remain within the law.

Axkiker

Enlightened
The biggest lumen, best bang for your buck deal, with the least amount of effort/work, is a set of sturdy weather-proof halogen lights with an HID kit. Mount the halogen lights, swap out the bulbs, mount the ballast, wire it up, good to go. Two housings at 3,500 lumens each for less than $150. Stick with 4,300k for most lumens + better seeing ability than higher color temps.

Insert standard caveat about OFFROAD USE ONLY here. I know they're going on a boat, but I have no idea what the laws are with regard to maritime lighting, I urge you to research them and remain within the law.

well I thought about hid however it requires very large holes to be drilled in the hull which is a no no.....

so we are back to led

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I thought about hid however it requires very large holes to be drilled in the hull which is a no no.....

so we are back to led

How are you mounting these? Are you trying to shine the light from the reflectors THROUGH the hull?

jason 77

Enlightened
Well im open to any and all suggestions!!!!!

My main goal is to put out roughly 3-4k lm from a single housing...

Now I will say that the bridgelux array seems ideal due to low costs and ability to produce major light with 1 array... I would only need to make one housing, use one refletor, one lens etc.... Now I will say that finding a driver that I feel will work in an autmotive enviroment is giving me fits.

what would you suggest ?????

have you tried to get a reflector and or lens set up to work with a bridgelux array yet? I am just beginning to see what might and might not work with these arrays as they have the dies spread out so much...

Axkiker

Enlightened
have you tried to get a reflector and or lens set up to work with a bridgelux array yet? I am just beginning to see what might and might not work with these arrays as they have the dies spread out so much...

No I have not .... however for this app im not really worried about it.

This app doesnt call for a concentrated beam of light... As long as I can direct a majority of the light outward then im good to go... in fact a concentrated beam would most likely not produce as nice of an effect.

so a broad wide span is what im after