Automotive Lighting Relay Question

fastgun

Enlightened
I would appreciate your opinions on the currently available 30 to 40 amp relay brands with dual 87 connectors.
Most of the past forum posts are a few years old and things change in the world economy.

I have no interest in the ones being sold as "Bosch Type" relays, so what brands that are still in business do you trust to make a quality part?

Thank you

-Virgil-

Staff member
I personally prefer Tyco-Bosch (those two companies merged their relay activities awhile back), Omron, Flosser, or P&B (a TE brand). This is not a ranked list; I won't hesitate to use any on this list. If a headlamp relay project confronts me I usually just get a Dan Stern kit with Tyco-Bosch or Flosser relays in it. But I do hesitate a little with Hella relays; my experience with them over the years, I won't say it's been "bad", but it's been mixed enough that I'm more inclined to keep a spare relay or two in the glove compartment if I am using Hella relays for some reason.

Whatever brand I'm using, I tend to get relays rated higher than I'm going to load them. I stay away from the light-duty items (Hella has a relay with a built-in fuse on it, I think it has a 10 or 15 amp rating...it's on my "NO" list).

I definitely avoid the off-brand/no-brand/Chinese-brand relays; they seem to give nothing but trouble. And that "Bosch type" language would raise red flags for me, too. It doesn't mean anything real; Bosch didn't invent the cubical 4- or 5-pin automotive-grade relays we're talking about here, and I think that kind of language is used to create a false sense of security/false impression of quality.

fastgun

Enlightened
Thank you this is helpful. I have been seeing the Tyco name and did not recognize it as a quality item.
I have a project in mind and did not want to waste my efforts on junk.