AW IMR 16340 to 1.95V

Fra881

Newly Enlightened
I used a AW IMR 16340 in my brand new eagletac d25c clicky xm-l2, since they added the 16340 support I supposed there was a low voltage control, but when the light died (it was throwing loads of light until just a couple of seconds before) I immediately took off the battery and it was 1.95v, quickly getting back to 2.00 while checking, however the minimum voltage indicated by AW for his IMR's is 2.5.

Now I put it immediately in a xtar wp2s at 0.25A, could have I damaged the cell?

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing to worry about if the over-discharge was only briefly as in this case. The point is not to leave a Li-ion in (over-)discharged state for extended periods of time. If you pop it into a charger ASAP, the voltage will bounce up quickly & cell will be fine even if you only charge it up to 20% or so.

The highest mode dimming is usually a good indication that a cell nears empty. But with an IMR cell and -judging from your description- a well regulated light, the cell can be really empty by the time the light goes out (same thing with LiFePO4​ cells). That's where intermediate voltage checks come in.

Fra881

Newly Enlightened
Nothing to worry about if the over-discharge was only briefly as in this case. The point is not to leave a Li-ion in (over-)discharged state for extended periods of time. If you pop it into a charger ASAP, the voltage will bounce up quickly & cell will be fine even if you only charge it up to 20% or so.

The highest mode dimming is usually a good indication that a cell nears empty. But with an IMR cell and -judging from your description- a well regulated light, the cell can be really empty by the time the light goes out (same thing with LiFePO4​ cells). That's where intermediate voltage checks come in.

Brilliant, thanks!

However from now on I'll be careful to check the battery voltage in that light when I know it's been running for some time, to avoid going again under 2.5.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an AW IMR drop down pretty low, but with bounce back, it got back up to 2.8v, after being down in the low 2s. I just charged it back up and it's been fine.

I usually don't run things down during my tests too often (did it with a Xeno E03 and Sanyo 840,) but like RT states, just charge them up quickly, if you can.

Chris