Baby HDTV

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found the little TV I've been thinking about at Circuit City today.

Polaroid 15" LCD HDTV with intergrated ATSC tuner
EC.PLD.1511TLXB.JPG

Features
• 1280 x 800 resolution
• NTSC/ATSC tuners
• Widescreen aspect (16:9)

• 400:1 contrast ratio
• HDMI input
• Component input
• S-Video/Composite input
• VGA (Computer Monitor) input
• Simulated surround sound

Price $239 ($199 on CC's website)

What really surprised me was the built in HD tuner . All the other TVs around it in the same size and price range were either EDTVs or HDTV monitors which required a separate HD-tuner.

My only negative was the way the buttons were labled and switching the inputs was somewhat difficult on the actual TV set but I'd probably be using the remote control itself most of the time.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howToGetItTab.do?c=1&zip=91709&oid=175907#tabs

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I called my CC and they had 2 in stock, There is a $40 off $199 coupon floating around the internet that works well :) Combined that with a $30 gift card left over from Christmas and I was $129 plus 5% tax out the door :) Just got home, still in box. I'll fire it up later to see how it does, Thanks for the tip!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Radio

How is the OTA reception in your area if you are using an antenna for local channels in HD ?

Are you trying it out on cable or satellite as well (SD or HD)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was for TVs with screen sizes over 25" diagonal last year. I read that March for this year was when all TV sizes and things like VCR/DVD recorders (I came across some VCR and DVD recorders that had ATSC tuners in them) are supposed to have digital tuners.

There are still many of the older TVs with analog tuners on store shelves. This particular model I checked out and posted was made after the first of March so it had to have an ATSC tuner and displayed 720P; making it an actual "small" HDTV.

Edit:

Well, mom and I went out later today and bought this one. I have it hooked up in my room to amplified rabbit ears. It took a lot of moving the antenna into the right spot before I got all my normal analog channels. I picked up 28 Digital channels so far and the three I would probably watch the most came in very good after a little adjusting. I'm currently watching Eyewitness News HD on Channel 7-1

The wide mode seems to work very well for "expanding" the SD programs to fill the screen so I don't get the black bars on the side. The image doesn't appeared too stretched in this mode.

Last edited:

Radio

Modulated Moderator
OMG! This thing is fantastic! It's an all-in-one wonder box. I have been playing with this for 24hrs now and put it through all it's paces and give it "Two Thumbs Up" I pick up 17 HDTV channels off the air, Does very well on Cable and actually picked up 44 HD cable channels that I DO NOT get on my regular cable! Amazing! Picture and audio are far superior to a computer monitor of the same size. X-Box 360 looks absolutely stunning on it and it performs flawlessly as a computer monitor! I may go out and buy another :)

yuandrew said:
Thanks Radio

How is the OTA reception in your area if you are using an antenna for local channels in HD ?

Are you trying it out on cable or satellite as well (SD or HD)