Batteries For Milwaukee Heated Sweatshirts

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years back I bought two Milwaukee M12 hooded sweatshirts. One for my wife and one for me. For quite some time I have been considering some additional batteries for longer run times. The batteries that came with are 1.5 amps and they have 3.0 amp batteries that are available at Home Depot for $109.97 for a two pack.

That seemed a bit expensive to me, so I started looking for other options last night. I found this Smarkey Heated Jacket Adapter Charger USB Plug Cable for Milwaukee and other jackets. The one caveat is that the connected Power Bank is must be QC3.0/IQ. Can anybody here tell is the Anker PowerCore Fusion 10000 will work with the cord and power a Milwaukee M12 Heated Hoodie?

If not, can anybody here recommend a compatible power bank that is QC3.0/IQ. I would like it to be 3.0 amp, minimum.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZBH59LK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I would post an update on this for anybody else who might be looking for an after-market battery for Milwaukee heated clothing. I bought the Smarkey heated jacket adapter charger USB plug cable and then tried both the Anker PowerCore Speed 10000 and Nitecore NPB2 10,000mAh waterproof power banks. Both power banks would work for a while, but then stop working, even though the battery still had a charge. At first, I was trying to determine if the Smarkey cords were the problem or the power banks were defective. After researching this a bit further, I think the problem is both power banks are designed to go into a power saving sleep mode after a period of time. The problem with that is the jacket cord needs to be disconnected from the battery to restart the process.

The best solution that I have found so far is TalentCell batteries from Amazon. They have a native DC5521 port and a rocker power switch to turn the battery pack off and on. Since the TalentCell packs have a DC5521, no Smarkey adapter cable is needed.

The first TalentCell battery pack that I bought was the TalentCell rechargeable 6000mAh DC 12V/5V USB YB1206000-USB. At 13.4 ounces and dimensions of 1.1 x 3.35 x 5.7 inches, I found the YB1206000-USB to be a bit to heavy and large for my Milwaukee M12 heated hoodie. The important thing, however, is it works and does NOT shut while powering the jacket.

I have now ordered two of the smaller TalentCell YB1203000-USB battery packs. They are 6.45 ounces and dimensions of 0.94 x 2.48 x 4.13 inches. They should work out a bit better in my Milwaukee M12 heated hoodie.

It looks like the smaller YB1203000-USB uses three 18650 cells and the YB1206000 uses six 18650 cells.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It is possible your jacket is at times drawing very low or no current and power banks switch off when no load it detected for a period of time this is a common problem when using them to charge low current drain devices like rechargeable earbuds and such. Some newer power banks have a feature that will turn the power bank on and stay on regardless of the detected load on them I think even some Anker ones have the feature but none of the ones I have will do that. A fix for this problem is to find something that drains the minimum current to plug into the power bank to keep it on like a USB LED module or something. I have had similar issues with a USB LED module that supports dimming as I've tested it with a USB power meter and the meter I used cannot detect power below 0.1ma and the modules in use is below that threshold. I found some cheap ebay USB modules and a cheap walmart power bank stayed on with the very low current load but this ability to stay on with a miniscule load is rare for power banks as later versions of the same ebay power banks had newer circuitry that didn't support the lower current draw.

BTW power bank 18650 cells come in all sorts of capacities but the better ones are 2800,3000,3300mah making for 3 cell 10,000mah etc. Some power banks that look to be 6 cell (I have one) are 5 cell using the space of a 6th cell for circuitry and listed at 15000-16500mah. Beware that is cell capacity rating not 5V output capacity so don't base calculations on the capacity ratings there will be losses in conversion from about 3.7v to 5V.

It is possible the jacket has some sort of thermostat that adjusts the temperature of it and is shutting off the power to it.

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the reply.

Have you seen any other power banks that have a DC5521 port?

Latest posts