Batteries for Nuwai Q-3

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

This is my first post, so be gentle. I just ordered a Nuwai Q-3 and wanted to stock up on batteries. Looking for opinions on what the best battery is for this light. What about rechargables?

Thanks!
Laura

code09

Enlightened
Hey! Welcome LauraQ!
You dont really see many ladies around here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good choice on the nuwai, rechargeables would be the best for that light. It makes it slightly brighter! Otherwise, regular CR123's would be fine as well. Hope you enjoy the light as much as i do!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laura -

Welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Battery Station brand batteries are well regarded, and not costy at $1 each. See here and scroll to the bottom of the page. Others like Surefire batteries. Check ebay for seller "Surefireparts", who has those batteries and is good to deal with. Your Q-III takes the "CR123" size battery.

As for rechargeables, search for "Nano" chargers and batteries in the B/S/T forum; see also www.goldengadgets.com and also the above link for Battery Station for their charger. I prefer the Nano charger, for its price and small size, but have the goldengadgets charger and its fine too. Rechargable CR123 batteries are often designated as "R123" batteries.

If you use rechargables, stop using the light as soon as it starts to flicker. Using it beyond that point can damage the battery.

See the "Flashlight electronics - batteries included" forum here at CPF for plenty of info on the subject.

best regards

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! Hold onto your wallet (or purse)!

Here is a CPF thread about using rechargeables in the Q-3:

Q-3 Rechargeable thread

The Q-3 review at the LED Museum commented upon the increased brightness with a rechargeable CR-123:

Q-3 review at the LED Museum

Rechargeables will have a higher voltage when fully charged than a primary CR-123. This will overdrive the Q-3 for increased brightness, at the risk of increasing heat and possibly decreasing the lifespan of the emitter.

If you're a newbie, you may want to use *protected* li-ion cells. Unprotected cells can behave badly.

The Q-3 Rechargeable thread contains information about the R-123s available from Batterystation.

CPFer Jon Sidney Burley sells protected 123 cells, in two varieties - 3v and 4.2v.

https://www.jsburlys.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25

Primary (i.e. non-rechargeable) 123s can be purchased at Surefire for $1.25 each. Batterystation offers their brand of 123s for $1.00 each, for CPFers. I have used both brands, without any problems.

There have been some gripes about Surefire 123s suddenly dying without warning. The cause is unknown. It could be that the SF-123s have a relatively flat discharge curve until they are almost completely discharged, at which point the output drops like a rock. I have used SF-123s in regulated Luxeon flashlights without this problem, including the Q-3.

I hope that helps.

teststrips

Enlightened
I'm using mine with rechargables that I got from AW (cpf user, pm himfor current pricing.
The light is much brighter than it was with normal batteries, because the output voltage of rechargables is slightly higher. My light ran completely cool, no heat at all with normal batteries, but gets warm (not hot) with rechargables.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
Welcome, Laura! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just joined a month ago -- it really doesn't take long to get comfortable here at CPF. These guys (and a few gals) are incredibly helpful.

I've used R123's in my Q3 from BatteryStation along with their charger -- phenomenal! And great service from BatteryStation, too!

vontech

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
JSB rechargeables keep my Q3 happy, and incredibly bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want to upgrade the light to a better LED, a 2 stage switch, or several other mods, there are many here that would be glad to.

You wouldnt happen to be from Montana would you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Its a longshot but I knew a girl named Laura Q.

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened
Well, you guys are just too nice! What a wonderful group! Okay, enough gushing.

I appreciate the help and direction. I'm going to go with rechargables.

Yes, girls do like flashlights, believe it or not. (And knives, too, but that's a whole 'nother post!)

P.S. Sorry, chevrofreak, I'm not from Montana. But, I'm impressed you knew a girl named Laura Q. Not many around.