Batteries how not to from Ebay

Norm

Retired Administrator
Batteries how not to from Ebay.

Looking to buy a battery carrier for a a Baofeng hand held radio, I couldn't believe the assortment of batteries they'd chosen for the pic.
14605156357_8210e59387_o.jpg

I don't think they have ever heard that you shouldn't mix cell brands and cell chemistries.

Norm

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Looking to buy a battery carrier for a a Baofeng hand held radio, I couldn't believe the assortment of batteries they'd chosen for the pic.

I don't think they have ever heard that you shouldn't mix cell brands and cell chemistries.

Norm

Well, they MIGHT all be alkaleaks for example, just with different wrappers....

Full Power

Newly Enlightened

Norm

Basics man, basics! (even I know that & that's not to call myself stupid, common sense!)
Thanks,
Full Power

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
They should be selling the firecrackers instead of the batteries, lot less liability this way. There are a LOT of idiots on ebay nowadays - always scruntize everything, down to the seller rating carefully before buying anything from them - could be Boomfire from them.

Sent from my XT907 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do occasionally go to Ebay, but only on a specific recommendation, from someone who has already ordered the exact item, AND from the exact seller. I figure this is pretty safe, and between Ebay, PayPal, and my credit card company, I'm not really worried about not getting my money back. Worst case is a couple minutes of inconvenience, and that is well worth it for some of the deals that can be had. Just go into it eyes open...it definitely has plenty of scammers, and if you aren't aware of that, it is easy to get burned.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Here's my policy when it comes to buying stuff from EBay:

Don't buy from Ebay.

Easy talking on your side of the Atlantic. A lot of stuff can't be found anywhere in Europe. I even buy 4-digit laptops from eBay; never had a problem.

As for that picture: it's a good example to show that all kinds of cells fit inside.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
I have bought few items from eBay - exactly what I wanted. I have trained eyes tossed in along with the fact that I usually give every feedbacks and the seller ratings a rather good vetting process before parting with my money.

Norm

Retired Administrator
As for that picture: it's a good example to show that all kinds of cells fit inside.
Not really the battery pack is for a little radio that runs from 7.4V, the manufacturer recommends using 6 Ni-mh for 7.2 Volts, they even recommend using a dummy cell if Alkaline batteries are used giving 7.5V., any other chemistries such as Li-ion would destroy the radio.

Norm

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my policy when it comes to buying stuff from EBay:

Don't buy from Ebay.

That's a great way to waste money. I've bought thousands of items on eBay at fractions of their retail prices and rarely had a problem. As long as one is careful there is very little risk. The huge savings by far and away offset any losses from rare problematic transactions.

Last edited:

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Not really the battery pack is for a little radio that runs from 7.4V, the manufacturer recommends using 6 Ni-mh for 7.2 Volts, they even recommend using a dummy cell if Alkaline batteries are used giving 7.5V., any other chemistries such as Li-ion would destroy the radio.

Norm

How would the radio sniff out what chemistry is being used?

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Lithium-ion battery pack gets to 8.0 to 8.6 Volts fresh off the charger, and this guarantees the death of radio. Li : FePO4 6.4 Volts pack may do ok for some radios but not all.

Norm

Retired Administrator
How would the radio sniff out what chemistry is being used?
It wouldn't, the radio runs off a two Li-on pack as standard but if you were to put six 14500s into the pack or as pictured you would be well above the 7.2V required.

Norm

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Three 14500s Li-ion cells would mean 10.80 Volts. Magic smoke time.