Batteries: Li-on v. LiFePO4 - Slightly offtopic

Wurkkos

vicv

Solar panels are not a type of charger. They're a power supply. That's not the same thing.
And a good battery charger will not continue charging after it's full.
Batteries just fail eventually. Car batteries are constantly being topped up in a way. And they last.
I'm sorry but your evidence is anecdotal not scientific and goes against actually scientific research.

orbital

+

I plug directly into my panels to charge things, direct connection to charge.
Running something directly off the panels definitely leans to power supply, like a 36VDC compressor.
..one can say it's a power supply or type of charger, doesn't really matter.

Personal experience vs spec sheet is another topic.

Last edited:

vicv

No. Directly hooking source of power may put charge into a battery, but that does not make it a charger. I can see why you've had issues with battery longevity.

orbital

+

I'v never plugged a deep cell directly to a panel array.
Reread my full post #20 on the previous page.

Last edited:

ChuckD

CPF Supporter
Y'all are really a bunch of nerds.
But that's why I come here. ; )
Just for clarity of my own situation: I'm working with a contractor who so far has impressed me, and has the reputation too. We're looking at a 16kW to 22kW panel array and ~20kWh batteries. And right now I'm motivated to go with the Enphase Ensemble system (if I can get one) which handles seamless transitions from grid to battery and back, able to accept a generator if needed. Justification is we're out in a pretty rural area in an all electric house. Outages have been few and lasting mostly minutes, to an hour and a half, but we have had one in the past four years that lasted 2-1/2 days, and we've had two tornados pass within 3 miles of our place.
Anyhoo, thanks very much for all the feedback, it has been helpful.
~~~
Btw, quick anecdote of why LiFePO4: 8 years ago my wife gifted me a set of those cheesy solar lawn lights. I set them in the ground and they've been there ever since, 12 months a year, handling temps from -15F to 100F and snow covering for part of the year. Each has an LiFePO4 battery and even now, after a full day of sun I've happened to see them still bright at 4am. I'm sold!
Thanks again!

orbital

Y'all are really a bunch of nerds.
But that's why I come here. ; )
Just for clarity of my own situation: I'm working with a contractor who so far has impressed me, and has the reputation too. We're looking at a 16kW to 22kW panel array and ~20kWh batteries. And right now I'm motivated to go with the Enphase Ensemble system (if I can get one) which handles seamless transitions from grid to battery and back, able to accept a generator if needed. Justification is we're out in a pretty rural area in an all electric house. Outages have been few and lasting mostly minutes, to an hour and a half, but we have had one in the past four years that lasted 2-1/2 days, and we've had two tornados pass within 3 miles of our place.
Anyhoo, thanks very much for all the feedback, it has been helpful.
~~~
Btw, quick anecdote of why LiFePO4: 8 years ago my wife gifted me a set of those cheesy solar lawn lights. I set them in the ground and they've been there ever since, 12 months a year, handling temps from -15F to 100F and snow covering for part of the year. Each has an LiFePO4 battery and even now, after a full day of sun I've happened to see them still bright at 4am. I'm sold!
Thanks again!
+

Took a look at some Enphase units & they look very nice {the ability to integrate a generator is a real plus}
Sure you know this already::: https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/homeowners-guide-federal-tax-credit-solar-photovoltaics

cheers & good luck