Batteries

Ozymandius

Newly Enlightened
Battery capacity ratings (claims) vary sooo much I don't know what to make of them. Kinda reminds me of lumens ratings(!).The times I've seen them systematically tested they've NEVER matched, sometimes not even even in the ballpark of correct. 4800 MAH, 6800, 9900!? What's the most reliable brand whose walk actually matches the talk?

ledbetter

Enlightened
Personally, I don't chase mah but rather buy quality cells from quality dealers at prices I think are reasonable. As long as the amps are what you need, I would rather carry an extra cell at lower mah(and lower price and an easier fit) than chase the newest and biggest.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orbtronic was reliable in their ratings some years ago and assume they continue to be honest.

In terms of 18650 sized batteries, seems like 3600mAh is at the top, though 3400 is so close, given that we do not often try to squeak every last bit of energy when we use them. I try not to charge much past 4V and try to recharge around 3.7-3.8V so paying less for a reliable 3500-3000mAh with sufficient discharge capability to power high lumens briefly, makes a lot of sense to me. It is not worth handwringing for sure.

Shouldn't this thread be in flashlight electronics, batteries included section?