Battery contact corrosion protection question

KenBar

Enlightened
In the automotive department of Wallmart etc there are some circular felt pieces of material, usually green and red, that you slip over the terminals of your battery. They seem to stop the corrosion.

Would rubbing this felt over the tips of your batteries give protection against the corrosion that seems to get all batteries?

There has to be an easy fix for this. I don't know the chemistry of aluminum...but I assume it is fairly funky....as far as corrosion. This seems to be a problem with all flashlights that use the "twist" type of connection, not just Arc.

No big deal...I would just hate to have an easy fix in the cupboard and not know about it.

In the back of my mind there was an article once about a type of "dope" that you could paint the legs of chips with for mission critical machines. Yearly, you would take all chips out, paint this stuff on the legs, and insert them again. This was about 10 or so years ago that I read the article.

There has to be a fix for this annoying trait of aluminum.

Streak

Enlightened
I think we need to analyse what kind of corrosion we are talking about. In a car battery there are a lot of acidic fumes around. When the moisture evaporates it leave a white acidic powder behind which starts the corrosion process.
In the modern alakaline batteries we use the only time I have had any corrosion is when I have purchased cheap batteries which have leaked of ten due to many years sitting in the flashlight without use. This should not happen with good quality alakalines specially those that are replaced frequently. The other way to get corrosion is if water (vapour) enters the flashlight. It tends to percolate in the confined environment leading eventually to corrosion.
Having said all of this. I use exclusively ordinary silicone paste (grease) on all threads and O rings. This promotes smoothe operation and adds an extra layer of water tightness.
I have treated all my Photons like this and they stand up pretty well to the abuse I throw at them including my party trick of switching them on in my mouth!!
Also, keep in mind that Aluminium does not like to be in contact with many other metals eg. steel (mild and stainless). If they remain in contact for any length of time then corrosion happens at the point that they meet. So I make sure in my Maglite products where there is a steel spring in the aluminium base that I coat the spring with the silicone paste. My minimag of about 15 years still looks like new inside.

This works for me and is cheap. Others may have other solutions.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
There is a company out there that manufactures 2 products:

DeOxit, and Progold.

DeOxit for regular surfaces, and ProGold for plated surfaces.

I forget the website, but do a search.

The stuff is cheap, deoxit, anyways. I buy the concentrate, and dilute it myself with spirits. Then, use a lab bottle to dispense it.

The "Test" they tell you to do is switch on an old flashlight, then treat the switches with Deoxit and see how much brighter it is.

Didn't work for me. All my flashlights are perfectly maintained!

--Phil