Battery drain?

bratch

Newly Enlightened
I'm a fledgling flashaholic; I've got a few lights but don't do alot with them. Most of the time they sit in a plastic tub waiting to get used for something.

Tonight I went to check on all my lights and look for any signs of leaks, this was the first time this has been done in a long while.

I had three lights that were dead: a SF G2, SL TL-2, and a SL Twin-Task 2 CR123. The Twin Task could light the LEDs but not the incandescant. The G2 and TL-2 were completely dead. All of the battery sets could run an X5. The batteries all had 4-6 years left on their shelf life and none had been used much.

What could have caused this; inactivity none of these lights were used often? They all have different types of activtion switches so I don't think that's the culprit.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Flashlight Rule #8

NEVER leave a flashlight in long term storage with the cells installed. Store the cells and light separately, and install for use.

Turbo Guy

Enlightened
See this thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/228257

also thread linked to in post #5 of that thread and perhaps do a search on parasitic drain.

As mentioned above,remove cells from flshlights and other devices not in regulare use. Most all batteries have had such a warning on them for as long as I can remember. It is also much simplier to check and recycle cells on a routine bases if they are all in one location.

I ralize that some primary cells are suppose to last 5 to 10 years but I would not bet an expensive device on it and battery life if most often directly related to storage conditions. The hotter the storage location the shorter the shelf life.