battery leakage: should I worry?

Jake

Newly Enlightened
On the packaging of my flashlights it states that you should keep the batteries out of your light if it's going to be used less than once a month. This is supposedly to keep leakage from happening. I think this defeats the point of having an emergency flashlight, of which I have many stashed around the house. When I go to grab a light in a power outtage, I don't want to have to fumble around w/ batteries in the dark. Is there really anything to worry about w/ today's quality batteries?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if the light is an expensive one and the batteries are not, I would definately keep them out of the light if it will not be used for a month. Probally not a problem for a flashlight owned by a 'flash-a-holic' though.
smile.gif

If the light will not be used for a while and you want to store batteries in it, then Lithium are the way to go. Normally I don't like to use lithium (less bang for the buck), but this is a good use for them.

Peter Gransee

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
My approach to this is to use flashlights that take Lithium batteries wherever possible.

I have flashlights with 123A cells, AA, D, and CR2025/16 cells all set up this way.

-john

Jake

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. Can anyone recommend a good brand of Lithium batts in D and C size?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jake:
Thanks for the advice. Can anyone recommend a good brand of Lithium batts in D and C size?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOPE!

At least not as I believe you are inquiring about.

Right now, the only C & D cell SIZE batteries made are NOT the nominal 1.5 V batteries you use in most consumer devices---

Tadrian, Saft and a few other companies make C and D (and AA and a few other sizes) SIZED batteries, but they put out a (nominal) 3.6 or 3.0 volts per battery and cost a "mint" new and usually are quite expensive even in the surplus market.

They are really excellent batteries, but are not intended for "regular" flashlights, although I and others HAVE made some pretty good LED lights that use them.

Hopefully, one day Energizer, Rayovac etc will have 1.5V (nominal) batteries available in Lithium in D, C and AAA size, but for now, you are out of luck.

The only "consumer" type lithiums available at present are Energizer L91 AA batteries, , 9V "transistor radio" type batteries and several different "photo" type batteries (123, 223 etc.)

Darell

Flashaholic
This brings up a question that I've wondered about for a while - and I'm sure the smart battery folks around here would know:

What's with the leaking business? Why would a battery leak if left in a flashlight if it doesn't leak when NOT in the flashlight. OK, I've seen them leak outside as well, but it seems more common when they're IN something. What's up with that?

Empath

Flashaholic
>What's with the leaking business? Why would >a battery leak if left in a flashlight if >it doesn't leak when NOT in the flashlight. >OK, I've seen them leak outside as well, >but it seems more common when they're IN >something. What's up with that?

For the same reason toast falls butter side down; its Murphy's Law. If anything can go wrong it will, at the worst time and in the worst way possible.

Empath

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:

For the same reason toast falls butter side down; its Murphy's Law. If anything can go wrong it will, at the worst time and in the worst way possible.
Empath
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same observation I would make, Empath, (perverse physics)
mad.gif
. -Anybody acquainted with Murphy's first cousin -the "Peter Principle"?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Latest posts