Battery Rattle in the HA E2 and HA C3

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
My GM E2 would hold the CR123 batteries securly, and sure enough, when used, made no rattle sounds whatsoever.

Today, I opened up my HA E2 and HA C3 and found that *both* of them suffer from the rattling noise of the batteries inside. I was rather shocked by this, as not only does it give me an eerie sensation, but it makes a fairly noticable "clink, clank" sound.

The fit & finish is so immaculate... yet it clinks and clanks inside.
frown.gif

Sure, inserting a sheet of notepad paper fixed the problem, but seeing as how the GM E2 ($50) was so well-made, I was expecting the same, if not better from the HA E2 ($70) and HA C3 ($100).

Are all SureFires like this?

Size15's

Flashaholic
None the ones I have.
I have never noticed either battery rattle or button-squelsch as posted by people here.

Maybe because I use Shock Isolated Bezels most of the time? And I make loads of noise?!

Having said that, the original M2 Bezel gave the M2 a strange sound when tapped. I believe the batteries are kinda 'suspended' between the two contact springs or something. This was never noticable during use though. Maybe I was concentrating on what the M2 was illuminating and what I was going to do about it?

Al

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Dont' forget, no matter how consistant SF ro any other maker gets their specifications.....Batteries are different sizes. Some have thicker insulation, paper wrapping whatever.

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies -- I wasn't looking to flame SureFire -- just was trying to get a feel for how often this is an issue.

Obviously I like their products, as I've now purchased 8 E2's, a Z3, and now a C3. And... yes, I made sure to try different CR123's before I posted here.

I tried the Sanyo, Duracell, Energizer, and SureFire battries, and they all rattle quite noticably.

Of course, a nice sheet of folded paper fixes the problem, but it just seemed odd to me... that's all.
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kaz, can you do accurate internal diameter measurements ?
I'm curious about this. There are International Standards for battery compartment sizing, which I think most manufacturers adhere to.
Like flex says, batteries are not always consistent, while machined Aluminium is made to 0.001" quite easily.
As Al mentioned, the batteries are usually held in place by the spring/s - wonder if this can be adjusted ?

lightlover
smile.gif

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Kaz, can you do accurate internal diameter measurements ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not accurate enough to make a case, but I'll definitely try it.

Silly me -- I forgot about all my tools...