battery shelf life

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
Ok I know Lithium Ion batteries (cr123) have an excellent shelf life but what about their rechargable cousins? I was thinking about getting a 2xcr123 powered light to keep in the car but I started to wonder about the life of pilas and possibly an innova T4 since I *hate* replacing batteries when there is a rechargable alternative.

SilverFox

Silver Moderator
Hello Prototype3a,

I believe the self discharge rate for Li-Ion cells is around 1% per month. A little extra will drain off if the cell has a protection circuit, but it will not amount to much.

I just got a Skill screw gun that runs off of Li-Ion cells. They claim over 80% of capacity after 18 months. That sounds about right to me.

Tom

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like it's dramatically better than that of NiMH cells. I've left some of those around for a couple months and they were almost dead. Now I just wish the T4 had a two stage switch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
""I just got a Skill screw gun that runs off of Li-Ion cells. They claim over 80% of capacity after 18 months. That sounds about right to me.""

Gee that is better than the alkalines we get at the doller store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, with that kinda of rate, if the flashlight does a Full disconnect (vrses a sleeping curcuit) i think i would be ok with putting them in the "emergency" lights in the autos.