Battery Testing - Lions and others.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Just a quick question do I need a battery tester or can I use a MultiMeter?

I just want to be able to check voltage of cells to see there charge level / if they are matched / there voltage after they have been charged etc, ideally for both Nimh and Lion but lion is the priority.

Or should I get a battery tester, how much is a battery tester and what is a decent one, not looking to spend a heap though maybe £10??? But as I work on laptops / computers as a volunteer I was thinking money would be better spend on cheap DMM?

(How do I test a battery with a Multimeter if it is possible?)

ven

Flashaholic
I use a multimeter,can be bought from £5 up to......well 100s but no need for that much spending,not testing buildings etc etc or high volt equipment.

Will pm you the link i got,similar to the one vinh uses in some of his pics............he has a new better one now though.

ven

Flashaholic
Link sent,no need to do every time,in fact i have used it the once or twice to check cells after 30 seconds from charger.

Used to check stored cells too,been in box for weeks.

Next lot of cells,will test them,after that every couple of months

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
^ No way that could have fitted in one post eh ven haha! Just kidding I have done the same many times, thanks for the links, Yhea vihn has a nice fluke one now I think??? Or was thinking of getting a fluke, might ahve got somin diffrent, very pricy but very nice stuff (I have seen there IT monitoring and management equipment...very nice kit!)

Ill get a DMM I think then.

ven

Flashaholic
^ No way that could have fitted in one post eh ven haha! Just kidding I have done the same many times, thanks for the links, Yhea vihn has a nice fluke one now I think??? Or was thinking of getting a fluke, might ahve got somin diffrent, very pricy but very nice stuff (I have seen there IT monitoring and management equipment...very nice kit!)

Ill get a DMM I think then.

Vinh can justify it 10 x over,as can electricians etc who depend on a safe,long lasting top notch dmm,however for general use spending £300 is a bit OTT imho :laughing:

It works fine too add,spot on for money;)
Its cheap,sufficient and would not recommend if crap:twothumbs

ven

Flashaholic
Being on topic i thought i would add,i seem to think as i go along,then think :thinking: oooo that may add or i did not make that clear:)

Its hard being perfect all the time........so odd discrepancies should be treated LIGHTly :D

Thats what i tell the misses anyway..............always goes down well

:twak::)

markr6

Flashaholic
Regarding the resting SOC, I've found the following three estimates online. Which is most accurate? Above 3.9v or so they're pretty close, so it may not be a huge concern since I always top mine off once at that point.

4.2V100%100%100%
4.1V90%94%90%
4.0V80%83%80%
3.9V60%72%60%
3.8V40%59%35%
3.7V20%50%10%
3.6Vempty33%empty
3.5V-15%-
3.4V-6%-

HKJ

Flashaholic
Regarding the resting SOC, I've found the following three estimates online. Which is most accurate? Above 3.9v or so they're pretty close, so it may not be a huge concern since I always top mine off once at that point.

4.2V100%100%100%
4.1V90%94%90%
4.0V80%83%80%
3.9V60%72%60%
3.8V40%59%35%
3.7V20%50%10%
3.6Vempty33%empty
3.5V-15%-
3.4V-6%-

May I suggest you check my test: http://lygte-info.dk/info/BatteryChargePercent UK.html

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Nice test HKJ, look like if its getting below 3.6V on any battery its certainly time ot recharge, even though pannys say they go down to 2.5, so if I test them at 3.7/8 them time to top off me thinks then.

Thanks Chris I did see them but Im not majorly concerned about this so cant justify the cash, but I do understand why you test under load, for me I think I can get by via DMM though.

I was not sure if cheaper version were available but it seems Might as well just use the DMM, considering how cheap they are, grapped a basic one for £5 of ebay.