Bay Area CPF Camping Weekend (March 3rd-5th, Fri/Sat/Sun)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a comment on the weather - last year all but three of us were scared off from the central valley camping get together by threats of torrential rainfall. Well the weather was beautiful. It only rained a few hours in the middle of the night. It was one of the best get togethers I've been to. It's really fun with a small group. You actually get to talk about flashlight projects instead of just show and tell.

If anyone is tenting, and there is room, you are welcome to camp under my wing. I'll just roll out the awning. The awnings (side and rear) could also provide some amount of cover in case of precipitation.

Wow, my first camping trip of the year
campfire.gif
. Let the season begin.
camping.gif

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jim for the words of encouragement. When I checked the forecast a few hours ago a tree fell over outside my window.:eek:oo: This has been a real nasty storm so far.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm heading out this afternoon to the park. Looks like snow on the mountain tops, maybe I should bring skis too. The forecast is for thunderstorms with small hail then slight chance of rain showers this afternoon. Tonight and Saturday should be clear. The local waterfalls should be roaring. Anyone wishing to come over on a whim is most welcome. I have enough steaks and fixings to feed all, plenty of BBQ equipment, plus beer and sodas.

Look for me in the Huckleberry campground, possibly site 13 or 18. I'll post a CPF marker at the driveway.

Larry

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, Enjoy All!—And yes, it hailed here in my neighborhood. The entire front yards on our street turned "white" along with the roofs of the homes and cars.

Be safe out there!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back home again after a nice little camping trip. It rained and hailed up until about the time we got to the campground. SheDevil and I were the first ones to arrive. We setup shop and hiked up the Shadowbrook trail to Sempervirens Falls and Slippery Rock, and ended our hike with more rain and lots of darkness on the trail back. My brother came in that night and we all ate well with BBQ steaks and macaroni and cheese in the cabin before retiring. The wood burning stoves in these tent cabins put out so much heat you almost have to open the cabin door to keep from over heating.

The next morning we really got lucky with the weather. VidPro showed up along with his dog Choco, soon followed by SheDevil's family putting us at seven people. We all drove to see the same sights I hiked to in the dark, followed by a drive to the visitor's center where we had a docent led tour of the giant redwoods. When we returned to camp we were greeted by JimH and his two dogs. My "CPF Host" sign out front was now surrounded by all sorts of blinking gadgets thanks to first VidPro and later JimH.

As evening approached every steak was cooked including the extras which gave the dogs a little treat too. The campfire was started and I was feeling warm from sipping whiskey in my cup. Jim relayed satellite music from his camper to a boombox and the 50's era music made a nice touch to our gathering. Jim also stole the evening with quite a light show by first firing up several HIDs into the neighboring trees. I enjoyed seeing the non flashaholics among us watch with amazement. A green laser pierced the campfire smoke from time to time and a red laser dot made a great chase for Vidpro's dog. As various lights were demonstrated I occasionally heard "I've got to get one of those" a number of times. Think this trip has converted another towards CPF too. :D I even managed to impress Jim with my mere $23 SL4AALux which we found could out throw his SureFire U2; not the spill of course. I forgot to take pictures so I'll ask if SheDevil will post a few of the ones she took.

Sunday morning was breakfast followed by cleanup and goodbyes. Jim slept-in and he said he would; guess he needs to recharge along with all his lights. :laughing: On the way out I stopped at the famous Brookdale Lodge that has a creek flowing through its restaurant and many pictures of famous Hollywood visitors of times past. As I drove home the rain started to bucket down and I felt quite happy that all worked out.

I hope we can do this again sometime in the summer. :)

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the time I arrived at the camp site saturday afternoon, the rest of the goup had already departed for a guided tour of the sites. After setting up camp, the critters and I took our own exploration hike along the nearby creek up to a waterfall.

The weather cooperated, and Saturday day and evening were very pleasant. We were briefly threatened by some light polution as the moon poked through the clouds. The night time temperature was a relatively mild 44 degrees.

Once again, I was impressed by how much fun a small get together can be - especially in a camping setting.

The evening BBQ on Saturaday left everyone completely sated. The steaks that SheDevil prepared were done to perfection.

I want to thank Lowbat for organizing this get together. In my opinion, it was a huge success, and I am eagerly looking forward to the next one.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! Wish I was there. We hit the wineries in Sonoma and Napa. Found a nice Cab blend. Celebrated a friends Bday and cheer another who crossed the finish line in his first full marathon. He made it under 5hours. Wish I could have been in two places at the same time :)

Next one :)

SheDevil

Newly Enlightened
LOWBAT and I drove up to the campsite on Friday afternoon. It was raining and hailing and I was thinking, "what have I gotten myself into this time?" LOL
The weather got better and the darkness was incredible Friday night.
litmarsh2.jpg

Saturday night was even better. Who knew you could roast marshmellows with a flashlight. JimH brought lights like I never even imagined. Im going to have to get a second job to support my habit now.
cookedmarsh.jpg

Looking forward to the next get together.