beam quality versus brightness? Surfire LS VS Arc LS...will you wait and see?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
How important is beam quality to you. Gransee asked this question in the manufacture forum ...I thought this was such a good question I would bring it over here.

I know the Surfire lovers will say VERY...and I mostly agree with this.

But let me ask...would you rather have an Arc LS now...or wait untill Lumiled improves the beam...Better centering, better color, more consistant beam. In addition new and brighter stuff is coming soon from Lumileds..high domes...side emitters...new heatsinking concept...new refletor...

What about the regulated LS Surfire is coming out with...it will probably not be cheap...uses those damm 123 batts...The Surefire will probably not use the focusing lens provided by Lumiled but will rely on their own reflector technology. Do you think it will be any good...will you want one? Will you put off buying an Arc LS to see what the Surefire LS is like?

Glow Bug

Enlightened
I for one hope that a rechargable 123 Li-Ion battery comes out soon. Then all of Surefire's lights as well as the Arc Ls would become more versatile and affordable to use. If we wait for the improved Luxeon, by the time it is ready, there will be another superduper version. So we never would buy anything. Buy now and enjoy! Look at the Li-Ion? 123 battery on this link>>> http://discuss.surefire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=001095

Lonewolf

Enlightened
I will wait to see how the SF LED looks but if beam quality is lacking in consistency (my main concern is the color variation) then I will wait another year to see how things improve. If the SF is a good light (LED) I might just get that instead of the LS.

Empath

Flashaholic
Beam quality is probably not exactly as imagined by neither users nor manufacturers. When the focusing flashlights like Maglites were introduced, it was probably noted that few people ever adjusted it for a wide beam, but instead focused it down to a tight beam as near to a perfect circle as they could get it. This tendency hasn't gone unnoticed by manufacturers when they design a focused flashlight. The error is interpreting the motive in focusing the beam into a tight beam.

What success Maglite had in their focusing flashlights was in creating a tight beam, and that was marginal. There was total failure in their ability to create a reasonable wide beam; actually any other beam. Now, even the users measure the quality of light by the hot beam produced. Few would regard the light as anything worthwhile if it was evenly dispersed over a wide angle with true flood properties.

If a good focusing light was developed that made both excellent narrow beam and excellent wide angle beams, it would probably take a whole generation to wipe out the conditioned paradigm created by Maglite's failure.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Glow Bug. You can't wait on the latest technology because the latest technology is always in R&D. By the time it hits production, it's out of date. TX

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
3...ok, I cheated...I saw your post in the other area.
wink.gif
That should be nice...I just hope the beam doesn`t look funny...let us know what it`s like
smile.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only possible answer to this question is: get 'em both. Amazing, how many questions that little phrase answers correctly
smile.gif

The Arc LS is a great light. The 123A version is much, much smaller than the M2 LS is going to be, so as far as I'm concerned they're different enough to warrant getting both. Surefire LS bulb comes along when I'm carrying my M2 anyway. Arc LS comes along when I'm carrying my E2, or M4, or anything else.

Now, an E2e LS, that'd be awfully tempting for one-stop-shopping. 'course, by then Arc will have gone on and innovated the next next wave in LED lights.

Joe