Beam Shots / Photo Thread

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
4ute7e3e.jpg

Play a little spot the fake.
The scabbard are in the same order as the katana. Well two are "katana"

Look at the cheesey inscription that's probably jiberish. The close to straight blade, lack luster finish, and the "trying to hard" handle guard design ;)
It weighs about 1/3 if the real ones. Two are battle ready works of art, one I wouldn't spread butter with :p

So the $49 walking dead special, will likely become a flying helicopter after one swing. Hammer is giving it credit. At least a hammer is tempered. Haha.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a 1980 cold steel tanto. Actually got it from a CPF member and I Love it. Cold Steel makes a nasty blade. Loving your machete. Very nice!

Last edited:

mmander

Newly Enlightened
I have posted some of this in the thread K40Mvn vs. X40vn but there, I limited the lights to the ones more or less relevant to that particular thread. The Vinh lights I did beam-shots with were a K40Mvn, XSvn, USBvn, S200C2vn, G25C2vn, and PD35vn. The stock lights in the mix for comparison were a TN32, X40, MX25L3, Predator Pro and SRT7. Three of the Vinh lights (XSvn, S200C2vn and PD35vn) were on loan to a customer of mine, a photographer that Vinh kindly sent them for testing. I managed to get those lights for a few days to do these beam-shots before they have to be sent back. The rest of the lights are my own.

I was out near Pitt Lake, east of Vancouver, B.C., Canada. Unfortunately it was a warm, humid night in a mosquito infested marshy area. Not only that, but it was the tail end of twilight still when I started and there was a super-moon too, so it never would have gotten truly dark. Normally the Pitt Lake area is great for beam-shots since there are very few people and many wide open spaces, but with all the bugs I was pretty darn rushed to get the shots and get the heck out of there again! :sweat:A friend who was there helping me weathered the bugs too, but I imagine he wasn't too happy about it either.

Before I go any further, for reference, here is the shot of the K40Mvn - crazy amount of light! I see that with jmpaul320's testing, he got very close to 4000 lumens at turn on from his K40Mvn. Wow! :faint: You can see how many bugs there were by the streaks in the beam! They seem to like that Vinh light too! :laughing:

K40Mvn.jpg

Based on my GPS, the group of trees was 200 meters away. I would have liked to find a better spot and wait until it got really dark but as mentioned, the bugs were really bad and with the hazy humidity and the super-moon, a farther distance for the beam-shots wouldn't have been ideal either. I think the "throwier" lights would certainly benefit and look far more impressive in comparison to the others with a longer distance to work with (as the TN32 did on my blog posting here for example), but oh well, hopefully I'll have a chance at some other time to test some more Vinh lights.

The photos were shot with my Fujifilm X-E2 at ISO 800, a Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 lens at f/4 and an exposure time of 1.5 seconds. I didn't want to overexpose the foreground for the brighter lights too much, so the dimmer lights will look a little dark. The raw images were processed in Iridient Developer since it does a better job on darker shots than Adobe Lightroom. Dark texture details will tend to get quite mushy and indistinct from Fujifilm X-Trans sensor equipped digital cameras (like my X-E2) when using Adobe software to convert the raws. Iridient Developer also allows for "honest" raw conversions with no automated image processing to mess up comparisons. White balance was tweaked visually to what I remembered (based on the MT-G2 lights) and then all the photos were synchronized with the same white balance for consistency to help with beam tint comparisons.

Note that since it was at the tail end of twilight, the sky is brighter at the start than at the end of the sequence, however the ground and the trees were essentially black with the exposure I used, so the lights certainly can be compared.

Following is an animated GIF with the lights all labeled to the extent I am aware. I do not know the specifics of the mods done on the loaner Vinh lights so details are not given as to tint etc. I do know they are all de-domed.

Note that there is no colour management for GIFs, so if you view these animations on a wide-gamut display, the colours will appear oversaturated and slightly dark. On my NEC SpectraView PA271 for example, with its 100% AdobeRGB gamut, the animations certainly look too saturated, but for the majority of displays with an sRGB or narrower gamut, they should look fine. In addition, the dithering of the GIFs in the the long animation is a bit annoying too. The individual JPEGs, like the K40Mvn photo above, have been converted to sRGB though and should look good on most people's displays with good colour and no dithering. If you see a discrepancy, go with the JPEGs for colour and not the animation!

This animation is sequenced in the order that I photographed the lights, so you will see the sky progressively get darker as it runs...

anim-all-PittLake.gif

Here are the all the remaining individual shots as JPEGs with the K40Mvn being the first image in this post of course...

TN32.jpg

X40.jpg

MX25L3.jpg

USBvn.jpg

Visually in this series, I'll say the XSvn shot is the one discrepancy. Here it does't look all that impressive but in person the intensity was quite something. Then again, the TN32 doesn't look that impressive either, so it likely comes down to the mere 200 meter distance used for the beam-shots... or the fact that the relatively floody beam from the K40Mvn is just so freakin' bright! :cool:

XSvn.jpg

S200C2vn.jpg

G25C2vn.jpg

PredPro.jpg

PD35vn.jpg

Nice moth flying through this one!

SRT7.jpg

That's all folks. Hope you enjoy these! :wave:

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome pics Mike:D really love the K40Mvn WOW amazing light,the pd35vn is very impressive too considering the size.

mmander

Newly Enlightened
Glad you guys liked them so far. :)

Awesome pics Mike:D really love the K40Mvn WOW amazing light,the pd35vn is very impressive too considering the size.

Definitely blown away by that K40Mvn and yup, the PD35vn is mighty impressive too, throwing surprisingly well for such a relative wide and even beam. Must say, I love that RCB beam profile. I'm just still put off by the greenish tint. I know it is not too bad at all when seen in person (I really don't want to put anyone off a PDT based on my overly picky nature!), but I keep thinking in photography terms...

Also, I keep thinking how much I really like the tint on that USBvn actually. That dome-on neutral XM-L2 is very nice indeed and in this set of photos, it rendered the colours more naturally than even the MT-G2 lights. Might be in this case because it is not as overexposed compared to the brighter lights? It also throws surprisingly well and with the diffuser, is a great dual-purpose light. I wish that flip-up diffuser were available in more sizes too since I'd love to put one on my MX25L3 or even the K40Mvn...

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the pd35vn, and want better cri/tint, the xpl is right on the money. And of course the nichia.
Will kill that throw, but the flood is uncanny.

mmander

Newly Enlightened
If you like the pd35vn, and want better cri/tint, the xpl is right on the money. And of course the nichia.
Will kill that throw, but the flood is uncanny.

I had a brief email discussion with Vinh about modding my stock SupBeam X40 with three XP-L LEDs and he was insisting that they would't be a significant improvement over a neutral XM-L2 and are only really useful when the things are tight, like in a little compact triple for example.

In your opinion, the XP-L LEDs are better in that regard though? Better CRI and less colour variation across the beam?

While the CRI isn't particularly high, what I like about my MT-G2 lights is how uniform the tint is across the beam, unlike all my XM-L2 lights that have a different colours in the core, the corona and the oft-too-blue spill. The best one I have is the USBvn with the neutral XM-L2, but even it has some colour crossover across the beam with a yellowish/greenish corona. Visually it is not that bad of course, but since I often do light painting with my flashlights, uniform colour is very important since a camera will pick up variations in a painfully obvious manner.

Here is a shot I did at the Inyo mine ruins in Death Valley a few months back. EagleTac MX25L3 to light the inside and surroundings of the decaying building and a brief blast with my TN32 to light up the structure in the left background. I had to block the bottom of the TN-32's reflector with my hand to keep the blue spill from affecting the ground nearby...

XE2_SW14_03302-pn.jpg

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
Here are some beamshots from my backyard. All were taken on max power with fairly fresh batteries, Hi-drain Pannys were used in the EYE40vn, K40Mvn. The hi-drains really make a difference in the X40vn also. Per Vinh's previous remarks, the K40Mvn wouldn't operate on Hi using the Panny protected batteries, However it did run on HI using Fenix protected 2600mAH batts. Use of protected or hi-drain batts in other lights didn't seem to matter. I used the TK75vn batts. and holder in the stock TK75v1.

Pics were taken using a Canon 7d & 20-35mm/2.8 lens on a tripod. Settings for all shots were 20mm, 1/4sec @ f2.8. Raw shots were processed to jpgs using LR 5.3 and MOST development settings were identical. Contrast was reduced and clarity added (identical amt. in each photo) to attempt to show spill/hotspot like what I was actually seeing. Vibrance was reduced in the K40Mvn and TK75vn to reduce the yellow. Still the K40Mvn appears quite yellow in some pics. IRL it is quite incanny and usually pleasant viewing outdoors.
The hotspot tree is a minimum of 120ft from the camera. The closer shrubs are about 40ft.

I used to be perturbed that more comparative beamshots weren't posted, but this process has shown me what a chore it is. Or maybe there is an easier way. I tried as much as possible to get equivalent shots replicating what I was viewing. These are not perfect, but are fairly close.

Should have one or two more series using 250ft-350ft distances posted tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
More shots...

The distant fence line is 280ft - 300ft from the camera. Of course the illuminated vegetation extends well beyond; at least 400ft and likely 500ft, based on my site review on Google Earth.

I had to use a graduated filter adjustment on the near grass. It was overpoweringly bright in all pics. Soooooo...the grass shouldn't be used for spill comparison, but the nearby shrubs can be.

Hi-drain Pannys were used in the X40Mvn.

makapuu

Enlightened
Nice, I think this is the first time I saw a K40Mvn dedomed beamshot. You have a really nice place to test lights.

Last edited:

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
Last set. Distance to the far trees is a minimum of 250ft. Again, I had to use a graduated filter on the near grass, so it can't be used for a good indication of spill, but the shrubs can be.

Peace Train

Enlightened
Beautiful photos birderbill! It's kind of hard for me to tell between each of the groupings by the way they're all spread out, so let me know how my assessment measures up to what your eye sees when you're out there. It appears the EYE40PDTcvn and TK75vn 4000K are the top performers, followed closely by the X40vn and K40Mvn. Hard to say which has the most beautiful beam as I have no idea how true the colors are on my monitor.

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Makapuu. AFAIK these are the only dedomed K40Mvn posted. I got tired of waiting for them, so I bought one and did it myself. Only the 1st series of photos is in my backyard, the other two series were taken on a piece of abandoned highway a couple miles west of town.

Last edited:

mmander

Newly Enlightened
Nice stuff birderbill, especially that second set! I appreciate these since it has pretty much made up my mind to never get a de-domed MT-G2 light, although even before I was thinking that as well. I love the colour temperature on my MT-G2 lights as they are! I suppose you don't have a dome-on MT-G2 light to compare to? If you had, then I imagine you would have included it in the beam shots...

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I wish I had the dome on versions of the X40vn and K40Mvn for comparison, but have spent too much on lights already! Is it the color of the de-domed MT-G2 you don't like?