Beam Shots / Photo Thread

Peace Train

Enlightened
Looks like we were all hit by rain. The streets were flooded getting to the Arizona Meetup last night. While sooo many great lights made it to the party, the TN32 and SR52 were no shows. Really beautiful shots btw!

Capolini

Banned
mmander said:

Did you get a chance to try the SR52vn at night again and does it seem brighter now?

I used it tonight. No change after cleaning ALL contacts the other day.Medium to High is the same increase.

It is what it is. It works well enough for me.

Like most lights after Forty[40] consecutive minutes on max there is even less output gain between Medium and High,,,,,,,,,,obviously due to battery depletion although my Voltage was @ 3.84V upon completion of Forty minutes on high.:shrug:

mmander

Newly Enlightened
I used it tonight. No change after cleaning ALL contacts the other day.Medium to High is the same increase.

Too bad Roberto. In my case, I am hoping that the next time I test it at a distance, it will prove to out-throw my TN32. However maybe I have a slightly overachieving TN32 and a slightly underachieving SR52vn, but as you said too, it simply is what it is.

Regardless, I am still very impressed with the SR52vn's throw to size ratio and the tint is way nicer than the overly blue beam that the TN32 puts out. :thumbsup:

I just finished editing some more photos from a recent camping trip up the Fraser Canyon and thought I would share another light painted one, this time the trees lit with my TN32, the grass tips lit with two green lasers (a friend wielding one of them) and my USBvn with diffuser in the tent, switched on low. It was a lot to light up in only 30 seconds so the tree light painting wasn't quite as nice as I would have liked, however I wanted to be sure the stars remained points and didn't want to go any longer than that...

XE2_BC14_03380-pn.jpg

The Fraser Canyon in B.C. is a very scenic area, a dry desert like region in the rain shadow of B.C.'s coastal mountain range, complete with pine trees, sagebrush, and cacti. Here is a link to my blog posting which then links to the full gallery in case anyone is interested...

http://mikemander.blogspot.ca/2014/08/gallery-fraser-canyon-in-late-june.html

Peace Train

Enlightened
Very cool concept. The way the grass tips are lit is such a surreal effect. Would love to see what happens when a third person wields a blue or purple laser to highlight the trees.

mmander

Newly Enlightened
Very cool concept. The way the grass tips are lit is such a surreal effect. Would love to see what happens when a third person wields a blue or purple laser to highlight the trees.

After the first test exposure, skimming the laser along the surface, I was like "Whoa... cool!" and knew I would have to try harder and get a better result. I just looked at all the images again and I actually did 18 different versions! :sweat: The fourth from last one is the shot I eventually chose for the image gallery.

I think putting coloured filters on flashlights would work better for the trees. Either that, or a defocused laser... well actually, that would probably be far too dim at that point. The only reason I could light up the grass like that in only 30 seconds, was due to the relatively flat, even ground I could skim the lasers along. With trees, I would just get a bunch of very fine lines with the laser, unless I really had a long time to meticulously scan back and forth, if you know what I mean? I also think that "skimming" wouldn't work with trees since they have uneven depth on the branches. Of course now I want to do another skimming shot with different coloured lasers on the grass!

Peace Train

Enlightened
I think putting coloured filters on flashlights would work better for the trees. Either that, or a defocused laser...

I saw one of Tmack's lasers adjust focus to spread its beam from side to side in a rectangular pattern. Not sure how that would translate to film/digital, but made me want to get back in the darkroom all the same!

Of course now I want to do another skimming shot with different coloured lasers on the grass!

THAT has the potential to be spectacular!

They're all just different versions of beam shots, after all. :rolleyes:

mmander

Newly Enlightened
Possible epic beam-shot session coming... at least epic as far as location I hope! I won't have all that many lights there but...

Vinh has said he will be sending me a de-domed K40Mvn so I can do some comparison photos with my regular K40Mvn for you guys. :thumbsup:

In addition, I will also have an opportunity to do a comparison between all three tints for the SR52vn, a PDTw, a PDTn and a PDTc, since Vinh will be sending me the two other variants of SR52vn to pit against my PDTn. :twothumbs

Not quite sure when he'll be sending them but in the meantime I'll be scouting out some new beam-shot locations. I'll be trying to get permission from BC Hydro to shoot at the Stave Falls dam at night. Here is a daytime view with the old powerhouse building at 400 meters...

stave_dam.jpg

There is a tugboat permanently moored (I think) at about 200 meters, which could be a good spill or secondary target for my dimmer lights. Here is a Google Earth overhead view...

stave_dam_distance.jpg

The problem is, the area I would be shooting from closes at dusk. It is a simple 500 meter walk in from the main road (there is just a drop down gate blocking cars from getting in), but I am sure that without permission, I'd get a quick visit from security if I start shining a 3900 lumen K40Mvn or the the SR52vn lights at the dam! :devil: Anyway, I think this could be an epic location to do beam shots from, if I get permission, but that is a very big IF. Not really holding my breath.

EDIT: Capolini asked me in an email whether or not lights or light pollution could be an issue with the dam. He has a very good point! Now I think that being a decommissioned generator facility, there won't be lights on inside the building at night since it is being operated only as a daytime museum now, however there may indeed be a fair bit of illumination outside at night, streetlights, floodlights and such. That I do not know. However sky glow should't be much of an issue since this location is fairly far from the city. I may try to scout it this weekend, just to see if it is even worth contacting BC Hydro. If there are a lot of lights, then I'll just have to give up on it...

I'll be looking into other, more remote spots as well. For example, there is a spot up the Fraser Canyon near Alexandra Bridge with a nice 550 meter run shown below, or even 850 meters to the old Alexandra Bridge, seen to the left of the Ruler window, from the highway bridge. I think I can indeed see the old bridge from that location (been up that way many times), although it is a narrow view and the closer trees on either side of the river would likely be lit too brightly to easily see further through a narrow gap. Maybe with a telephoto lens? A nice spot, with not too much traffic at night (usually), but it would take me about 2 hours of driving to get out there...

alexandra_distance.jpg

I have a few more ideas I'll be exploring as well but honestly I think the dam would be best (presuming it turns out to be dark enough). The more-or-less white building at 400 meters would be perfect at showing off the tint differences in the lights! When I'm done with the beam-shots, I'll be sending the lights back to Vinh and will likely be...:mecry:

Haha, but no... I won't really be sad. One SR52vn is enough for me and I am pretty sure I will prefer my regular K40M to the de-domed one too!

Anyway, hopefully this all works out with the weather, my time and hopefully a great location somewhere! :)

Last edited:

lumentia

Enlightened
Possible epic beam-shot session coming... at lest epic as far as location I hope! I won't have all that many lights there but...

Vinh has said he will be sending me a de-domed K40Mvn so I can do some comparison photos with my regular K40Mvn for you guys. :thumbsup:

In addition, I will also have an opportunity to do a comparison between all three tints for the SR52vn, a PDTw, a PDTn and a PDTc, since Vinh will be sending me the two other variants of SR52vn to pit against my PDTn. :twothumbs

Not quite sure when he'll be sending them but in the meantime I'll be scouting out some new beam-shot locations. I'll be trying to get permission from BC Hydro to shoot at the Stave Falls dam at night. Here is a daytime view with the old powerhouse building at 400 meters...

stave_dam.jpg

There is a tugboat permanently moored (I think) at about 200 meters, which could be a good spill or secondary target for my dimmer lights. Here is a Google Earth overhead view...

stave_dam_distance.jpg

The problem is, the area I would be shooting from closes at dusk. It is a simple 500 meter walk in from the main road (there is just a drop down gate blocking cars from getting in), but I am sure that without permission, I'd get a quick visit from security if I start shining a 3900 lumen K40Mvn or the the SR52vn lights at the dam! :devil: Anyway, I think this could be an epic location to do beam shots from, if I get permission, but that is a very big IF. Not really holding my breath.

I'll be looking into other, more remote spots as well. For example, there is a spot up the Fraser Canyon near Alexandra Bridge with a nice 550 meter run shown below, or even 850 meters to the old Alexandra Bridge, seen to the left of the Ruler window, from the highway bridge. I think I can indeed see the old bridge from that location (been up that way many times), although it is a narrow view and the closer trees on either side of the river would likely be lit too brightly to easily see further through a narrow gap. Maybe with a telephoto lens? A nice spot, with not too much traffic at night (usually), but it would take me about 2 hours of driving to get out there...

alexandra_distance.jpg

I have a few more ideas I'll be exploring as well but honestly I think the dam would be best. The more-or-less white building at 400 meters would be perfect at showing off the tint differences in the lights! When I'm done with the beam-shots, I'll be sending the lights back to Vinh and will likely be...:mecry:

Haha, but no... I won't really be sad. One SR52vn is enough for me and I am pretty sure I will prefer my regular K40M to the de-domed one too!

Anyway, hopefully this all works out with the weather, my time and hopefully a great location somewhere! :)
Awesome :thumbsup: I always look forward to you beamshots. Gotta give props for your mad photography skills.

Last edited: