Beamshot!! OP & Stipple reflectors

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from JimH's and we had some fun with the stipple reflector pass-around. What can you notice about the differences?

First the players... long Mag11 in the foreground running NiMH C's for 1hr runtime
(6 Mag-C heads, left to right) --- SMO, LOP, MOP, LS, MS, HS

Jim is firing 500 Lumens across the street and standing next to the camera while I'm taking the photo's with his new camera. Tree is about 60 feet away.

Smooth Reflector

Light Orange Peel

Medium Orange Peel

Lite Stipple

Medium Stipple

Heavy Stipple

USL MOP

X990 wide beam

:wave:
happy23.gif

missionaryman

Enlightened
excellent work guys - top quality photos.

It looks like the light stipple is throwing more light than the smooth in the mag11 - can this be?

litho123

Enlightened
Thanks for your eval on the stippled reflectors.

According to my latest talk with my Carley rep, the stippled reflectors should start arriving next week. As always with Carley, I'll believe it when I see it on my doorstep.

Great pics!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
missionaryman said:
excellent work guys - top quality photos.

It looks like the light stipple is throwing more light than the smooth in the mag11 - can this be?

It might not be obvious at first glance, but take a careful look at the intensity of the light in the exact center of the hot spot for the SMO and the LS. You will notice that the intensity is greater for the SMO, as would be expected for max throw vs. light flood.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you please define orange peel.... the flashlight relating one.

-David

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
Can you please define orange peel.... the flashlight relating one.

-David
Orange peel is a term used to describe a type of texture applied to a reflector to smooth out the beam and reduce artifacts. Another type of texture is called "stipple". The term "orange peel" comes from the fact that the texture resembles the outside of an orange.

SMO - SMOoth, no texture - used for maximum throw - who can tell what the beam pattern looks like at 100 yds anyway.

LOP - Light Orange Peel - minimum texture - slightly less throw but smoother beam pattern

MOP - Medium Orange Peel - moderate texture - much smoother transition from center hot spot to the side spill - some throw and a lot of flood

HOP - Heavy Orange Peel - maximum texture - used for flood

Last edited: